Am I correct in saying Pancake Day was earlier than usual tihs year, I always thought it was in March?

Hi Caz,

I was always under the impression that Pancake day is held on Shrove Tuesday which is tied to Lent and Easter, and as such is a movable feast.

Wiki states "The reason that pancakes are associated with the day preceding Lent is that the 40 days of Lent form a period of liturgical fasting, during which only the plainest foodstuffs may be eaten. Therefore, rich ingredients such as eggs, milk, and sugar are disposed of immediately prior to the commencement of the fast. Pancakes and doughnuts were therefore an efficient way of using up these perishable goods, besides providing a minor celebratory feast prior to the fast itself.

Hugs Alison

It is Shrove Tuesday, isn't that this month sometime???

Just looked, it was the 20th of Feb this year.. Missed it...

Hi Caz,

I was always under the impression that Pancake day is held on Shrove Tuesday which is tied to Lent and Easter, and as such is a movable feast.

Hugs Alison

And ash wednesday follows. :Friends:

Just looked, it was the 20th of Feb this year..   Missed it...

Doesn't anybody read my posts? have I become invisable :tease:

I know the feeling - scroll down the topics a few to find the "Pancake Day" thread I started on...........

........PANCAKE DAY!

:Shock:

LOL LOl Did somebody say something................................ flyswat

• 12 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I can't let Shrove Tuesday pass without resurrecting the pancake topping debate.

I read on the internet today that sugar and lemon is by far and away the most popular pancake topping.

My mum always used to use orange juice and sugar which in later years my wife and her mum used to deride.

I can recommend maple syrup although it's pricey and the substitutes taste just as nice IMHO. There's also a cinnamon sugar topping which I enjoy. Cherry fruit pie filling and ice cream is jolly nice too.

I can't finish my Shrove Tuesday post without mentioning dear old whip and top. I haven't seen them for many years yet they provided hours of fun in the 1950s. IIRC Nottingham primary schools used to get the afternoon off on Shrove Tuesday and after the lunchtime pancakes out came the whip and tops. I related most of my memories of whip and top here: 

I've since remembered how disappointed I was when the metal stud in the tip of the top came out. That was game over unless you could afford to go and buy another top from the newsagent.

That's all folks so enjoy your day and don't overdose on pancakes or even whip and top if you've still got one.

• Like 1

Little Chef was a great institution.  Somewhere to get a breakfast on an early start trip and a good place to take the children. There's nothing to compare these days. A friend of mine, who would only eat beans on toast on weekdays for his evening meal, much to the despair of his wife, would take her out for a Little Chef treat at weekends!

22 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Remind me of the Gingham Kitchen. I’m sure I’ve been but can’t remember where.

I can remember the Gingham Kitchen

Little Chef was great, the Olympic Breakfast was good. I worked for THF  Airport Services when they catered the aircraft out of EMA Charles Forte was such a gent. The one and only time that I got to go on board Concorde without flying on it was just to make sure the catering was ok. I knew it was, just needed an excuse!  Lived in Castle Donington at the time and every time that aircraft got airborne everyone in the village went out of their houses to watch it.

5 hours ago, MRS B said:

I can remember the Gingham Kitchen

The Gingham Kitchen was u'mmm trying to explaine cross from Victoria Shopping center main entrence walk to first road down I think on the corner ladies cloths shop, go down here and it was facing you. Facing GK was JJ shoes turning left was Clumber St,  think i'm right. 

Mrs B my hubby (master) also worked for Trust \house Forty

That's the one! I met my mother in there after work precisely 48 years ago today. We had a meal before going to the City Hospital to see my sister who had just given birth to her first child. Gingham Kitchen did wonderful cheese omelettes and that is what I had that evening.