Any members of Gee Dee Model Aircraft Club 1962/3

Is there anyone out there who used to fly model aircraft with Gee Dee MAC?.

I used to work at Beecrofts in Pelham street in the model department, a tall streak with fair hair.

I remember George Bradley who flew an `Orion`, Geoff Pike who flew early proportional, many faces but few other names. Lez Blore and Chris ? were the seniors in the Beecrofts model basement.

I have a few photos of the clubrooms in Heathcote street, where the Gee Dee shop is now. I remember the front window and have recently obtained the plans for the `Fairy Delta` that used to hang there.

I have been building the planes I used to have as well as those I always wanted.

It would be good to catch up with anyone who remembers me.

Regards Andrew Cole.

Sorry I can't help you with your old friends, but your post certainly brought back memories of Beecrofts! I remember begging my mum to take me just to look in the windows! Talk about a young boys "treasure trove"!

Are they still in business?

Beecrofts shut down late in 1963 when the old man died and Boots took over the building. Young David opened up another shop in Drury Lane but it was mainly mail order with very little passing traffic. There was no model section. Gee Dees was over the hill in goosegate at the time. About fifteen years ago, I returned to Nottingham (when our band was over there playing in Edinburgh), had a look at the shop (looking very sad and vacant) and tried to find David. He was still in business but working from his home. I found his address but he wasn`t home so just left a message. I also checked out the Club room site in Heathcote Street and found the new Gee Dees store. I spoke with the person behind the counter and he did recognise some of the names but I don`t think he was born when I was there as a youth.

Regards Andrew Cole

(Admin, can you contact me at elocwerdna

at hotmail.com and I will attach photos.)

....and found the new Gee Dees store. I spoke with the person behind the counter and he did recognise some of the names but I don`t think he was born when I was there as a youth.

You did well to get some conversation from any of their notoriously surly staff...

Every time I go in I vow "never again", but a year or so will pass by - and I do :) - and always come out making the same vow! Nottingham has lacked a decent model shop, since the Beecroft's demise...

There was 'Beatties', which took the words 'rip off' to a new level. Their revamped version is now in the Broad Marsh Centre (TMC?); still the same crazy prices.

Cheers

Robt P.

I vaguely remember a toy/model shop on (I think) Mount Street, before they built MMW. That was probably after Beecrofts closed on Pelham Street.

• 3 weeks later...

I will try do attach a photo or two.

Andrew Cole.

post-54-1174819488_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 6 years later...