Thanks for that col.........since I posted did a bit of memory jerking and googled,...(but i'm ok now lol.).....it was Malcolm Starkey who lived on Bancroft st Bulwell,he played for Blackpool,Shrewsbury and Chester,the reason I recalled him was that his brother came to Padstow for a time (Peter) and remember him telling me about his older brother..........funny how you mentioning a name sparked a very old memory.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 'Sal' when I was with a boy I met at the Saturday afternoon Palais. Much too young. Had a glass of beer that I didn`t actually drink. The barman glared for a while then came over and said, 'All ri

Lord Roberts,Broad st,...aged 15..........used to go to the Coop youth club round the corner (now coop arts centre i think) me and my mate Keith Attenborough duly penciled in Sideburns and tash,took a

The Plainsman at the top of Woodthorpe Drive, Mapperley Top. It was the Queen's Silver Jubilee party in 1977. I had a lemonade.

Blue Bell Alford St south

drink a lemon dash

half a mild with a spot of lemonade (this is not a shady has it has only a small drop on lemonade in )

Circa 62/63.............1st pint Heathfield Arnold rd,..2nd Pint Park Tavern Arnold rd,........3rd Pint Pear Tree just off Southwark st.........then sometimes made it to the Trolly bus Vernon rd,.......if i did could'nt remember where i had the 4th in town...........let alone getting home......

The Heathfield in the early 60's was run by my mate Jim Dale's mum and dad. A good pint too.

I don't know Benjamin. I only went in a few times on a Saturday night.

I was always amazed how the place rumbled when trains passed underneath.

My first beer? Shippoes Bitter at the Wheatsheaf at the bottom of Bobbers Mill Bridge. I hated it. It was a summers evening when the beer garden and the area in front of the pub was full of families.

I did get a taste for Shippoes bitter a little later. I still do.

Dad instilled on me a dislike of mild and stout, which remains to this day. He reckoned that you couldn't see all the odds and ends floating around, and that the doctors all drank bitter. There was a pub somewhere out Nuthall way where the landlord played continuous Jim Reeves records in an upstairs bar. Is it still going?

• 2 months later...

the Commercial Inn corner of Nuart Road and Wollaton Road for a pre Christmas drink.

Not been in the Commercial for over 20 years until last night its now a Indian & Nepalese restaurant come pub, its been well fitted out out very smart, did a three course set menu @ £9.90 each the food was fabulous made me wonder why folks go to Spoons for a curry?