• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 'Sal' when I was with a boy I met at the Saturday afternoon Palais. Much too young. Had a glass of beer that I didn`t actually drink. The barman glared for a while then came over and said, 'All ri

Lord Roberts,Broad st,...aged 15..........used to go to the Coop youth club round the corner (now coop arts centre i think) me and my mate Keith Attenborough duly penciled in Sideburns and tash,took a

The Plainsman at the top of Woodthorpe Drive, Mapperley Top. It was the Queen's Silver Jubilee party in 1977. I had a lemonade.

I have a photo of me Dad, Uncle and Brother-in-law and me in the Grove Tavern in 1961. The Grove Tavern was on Queens Bridge Road, which ran parallel to Queens Drive, with the Pub between the Waterway Street and Traffic Street junctions.

Me Uncle was about to leave for Australia, as a forward scout for the family.

Alison

My first drink was in the Clarance on the corner of Alfreton road and Palin street, also a shippos pub, never looked back since, one thing I do miss is Shippos bitter, I was underage too..16/17 years old. not much of a choice in those days, larger bassically was un-heard of.

Bip. :Friends:

My first drink was in the Clarance on the corner of Alfreton road and Palin street.......

How disappointing.....

I'd have guessed you'd have said, "The Poacher, with a Harvest Pale to wash down my Farleys Rusk" :rolleyes:

Cheers

Robt P.

My first was at the "Pavilion" - on Station Road in Long Eaton, at the back of the stadium. I think I was 14 - so it was probably 1965 or so. I think I had a half of mild! It was a Home Ales pub!

The Peacock at Clifton, probably about 14 or 15 years of age, used to pile out the YMCA across the road and into the pub. Those early days, when you had a couple too many you would lay on your bed and the whole bloody room would start spinning - something you grow out of!

Are we counting standing in the doorway of a pub, trying to get your mam's attention to get another bottle of lemonade [with a straw of course] and a bag of Smith's crisps, with a blue bag of salt? If not, I think the first place I drank was the bowling alley clubhouse. I'd have a barley wine, 'orrible stuff, but it gave you a buzz with one drink!

Ayup all,

The Grey Mare Clifton. 1/2 Shippo's bitter, followed by 1/2 Shippo's mild, was'nt sure what to drink in those days, must have been 1969 aged 17

Rog

My first was at the "Pavilion" - on Station Road in Long Eaton, at the back of the stadium. I think I was 14 - so it was probably 1965 or so. I think I had a half of mild! It was a Home Ales pub!

Knocked down a couple of years ago.

About 1990 saw "sounds of the Blues Brothers" tribute band there.

A local Long Eaton group. Very Good!

Wasnt the Pavillion Hotel in the News of the World, some years ago, I recall?

The Plough Inn, Skellingthorpe, Lincoln.

I was born whilst my dad was the landlord there in 1951.

'Wagon Wheels' only in those days.

My dad would be working in the bar during afternoon closing, getting ready for the

evening session. He would shout up often to my mother to see if opening time was approaching.

I would sit at the top of the stairs as an infant watching him. Not yet having spoken my first words.

One day he was cleaning up when he heard a little voice from above.

"What time is it?" :rolleyes:

Apart from hanging around the back & front of The Greyhound Inn on Ryehill st when I was a girl,my first real pub outing was to The Plumtree Arms,age about 16,can't remember what I drank but NOW GET THIS I won the raffle & the prize was a Koala how weird is that,must have been a sign of my life to come B)

My first was at the "Pavilion" - on Station Road in Long Eaton, at the back of the stadium.  I think I was 14 - so it was probably 1965 or so.  I think I had a half of mild!  It was a Home Ales pub!

Knocked down a couple of years ago.

About 1990 saw "sounds of the Blues Brothers" tribute band there.

A local Long Eaton group. Very Good!

Wasnt the Pavillion Hotel in the News of the World, some years ago, I recall?

I think it burned down before it got knocked down - I vaguely remember driving by some years ago and seeing a burned out shell!

I didn't know it made the "News of the World" - it was always a bit of a shady pub - but they would serve young lads out the back! :blink:

I don't remember the first one I went in. Last work day before Christmas, the blokes I was working with went down Old Basford for a few and snook me into a dark corner of the pub. No way could I have past for 18...

My first drink in a pub (or club) was summer of '87. My mum's friend had a daughter a bit older than me, and she and her friend took me to The Ritzy in Nottingham. I knew from tasting it once that I didn't like beer, and I didn't know what to order, so I had what her friend had which was Martini and lemonade. I was shocked that they let me as I was only 16. In California they always check ID at the door, if you're under 21, you don't get in..

My first drink was in the Clarance on the corner of Alfreton road and Palin street.......

How disappointing.....

I'd have guessed you'd have said, "The Poacher, with a Harvest Pale to wash down my Farleys Rusk" :rolleyes:

Cheers

Robt P.

!rulez! Glad to know someone reads my puerile posts. :tease:

If it sounds sometimes I over emphasise the delights of the Poacher and Harvest Pale that’s only because I haven’t yet found a pub or a drink to better them. Apart from the Victoria in Beeston, Vat and fiddle on Traffic Street, The Moot Hall on Carlton Road, News House on Canal Street, maybe I ought to mention them a little more?

The way I look at it is, it beats sitting in front of the tele all night and every night, waste of ones life if you ask me, unless that is ones into soaps then one does live a closed life better live now because ones dead a long time. :Friends:

Bip. :angry:

Affraid it's no longer there pulled down several years ago gone the same way as the Cow in Beeston is but one difference the Cow is when down is going to be a petrol [gas] station....GREAT....in fact passed by there yesterday and it's already closed. :angry:

Bip. :ph34r:

First drink was at the offey window in the Beacon on Aspley Lane.

First pub I actually went in to have a pint was the Miltons Head - corner of Parliament St and Milton St. back in '68. Didn't know what to order so me brother ordered me a bitter - been on it ever since.

mmmmmmmmm - beer thumbsup

You were always a big lad Bryce.

Didn't think the medders landlords would have been that bothered in those days.

You wouldnt have had any problems on Alfreton road in the 70's as we both know.

The first pub I really hung about at was *'The Crescent' in the Medders, mid 60's.

A bottle of lemonade and listning to the Clitheroe Kid on the tranny.

This was the local for me mates mum, Pat Dawkins.

Me mate being Ken Dawkins.

*mentioned elswhere here, in relation to 'Nipper Read' of The Yard.

• 3 years later...

The 'Sal' when I was with a boy I met at the Saturday afternoon Palais. Much too young. Had a glass of beer that I didn`t actually drink. The barman glared for a while then came over and said, 'All right, off you go you two.' Scarlet-faced retreat.

• Upvote 1

The George and Dragon on Chapel Bar. Pint of Ayinger brau (Shipstones lager!!) After drinking a bottle of cider in the toilets on the market square after getting a lift off of my mum and dad after I'd told them I was going to a party and had told them it was a bring a bottle.

I'd seen a lad from our school come out of there a couple of years earlier , wearing his school blazer!!!! and thought it was a safe bet to get in there!

The Royal Oak i think its called In For a Penny now, a gang of us used to sit in the room on the left as you look at the front, it hasnt changed much from the outside