The Shades, Lumley Rd, Skeggy.... aged 15...1962

My first holiday without Parents, went with 3 mates from school, no problem getting served.

Owdtite.... !tanning!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 'Sal' when I was with a boy I met at the Saturday afternoon Palais. Much too young. Had a glass of beer that I didn`t actually drink. The barman glared for a while then came over and said, 'All ri

Lord Roberts,Broad st,...aged 15..........used to go to the Coop youth club round the corner (now coop arts centre i think) me and my mate Keith Attenborough duly penciled in Sideburns and tash,took a

The Plainsman at the top of Woodthorpe Drive, Mapperley Top. It was the Queen's Silver Jubilee party in 1977. I had a lemonade.

The Prince Albert, Lower Parliament Street, 1976-ish.

Went into the 'Albert' with a mate of the same age and nervously queued for an age whilst wondering what the heck to ask for. I had determined to ask for 'a pint of beer, please' though knew this wasn't quite right. Eventually, just before getting served a guy in front of me asked for 'a pint of bitter' so I ordered two of the same.

Had quite a few visits to the pub asking for the same before I heard someone ask for 'a pint of lager'! Life changed at that point...

First visit to a pub was at the Whitsuntide march in Arnold during schooldays when my old man took me into the back yard of the Lord Nelson whilst he sat with his cronies. I had my first sip of the Daybrook nectar and I shuddered that much I'm sure my head did a 360!

Sawyers Arms, just around the corner from Dungeo club, Stanford street, I was 15 (1966) & had a pint of 'mixed' in a jug (glass with handle) .............think it may have been Home Ales, anyone remember? We were at the dungeon to see 'Stringfellow' doing the disco (If that's what they were called then), his signature intro' was 'let the Good Times Roll' the Bunny Sigler version!!

The Playhouse bar around 1969/70.

At school at the time the fashionable drink for the males (who talked it even if they didn't really drink it) was Guinness, so when I went into the Playhouse with some mates I had to have Guinness to make me look as though I knew what I was doing.

But I thought it was revolting. Don't know how I got through one pint without totally throwing up. To this day I've never had another Guinness because of that first memory. Maybe if I had another today, I might find I like it now.

• 5 years later...

The bar at the Blue Anchor Caravan Site at Ingoldmells in 1959/60. I'd be about 15. Two pints of Shippos I believe.

Great days.... Never looked back.

To comply with the topic title, I suppose the first actual pub would be The Granby near the station, or The Blue Bell on Parliament St.

Druids Tavern in Arnold.

As a point of interest Fly2, my ex used to work behind the bar at the Granby. That would be during 1973.

Apart from sneaking a swig from jugs of Shipstones that my granddad used to send be to the off licence for, ugh.

My first real pint was Mansfield Bitter as a 15 year old whilst wagging school and playing snooker one lunchtime at the local Miners Welfare. I was caught by the headmaster who asked "What are you doing here?" to which I stupidly replied "Playing Snooker". If you think that I got the cane for this you would be wrong as I respectfully suggested to the headmaster that the school council might like to know where he spent his lunch hours.

Lord Roberts,Broad st,...aged 15..........used to go to the Coop youth club round the corner (now coop arts centre i think) me and my mate Keith Attenborough duly penciled in Sideburns and tash,took a deep breath and in we went,......as i ordered 2 pints of Mild avoice behind me boomed out 'get me one Paul'....yes a Teacher from school....lol.

• Upvote 1

The TBI, aged 16 around 1961, with a group of High Pavement hard boys. God knows what we were doing down there, but remember thinking 'this tastes disgusting'. It must have been Home Ales..

• 5 months later...

My first actual purchase of an alcoholic beverage would have been at the Gedling miners welfare, but my first pub would have to be the Crystal Palace round the corner from Colemans in maypole yard, we used to nip in there for a shandy in between doing the rounds of the dance floor.

I was in a car crash after a visit to the Plainsman, Mapperley Man (#40)

. We were heading back to my mate's house down Rolleston Drive when a van pulled out from the Major Oak (or was it called Royal Oak?) car park, right in front of us. Our driver never stood a chance. Luckily, we were in a MKII Zodiac of early 60s vintage and it was built like a tank. I went over the driver's shoulder and ended up head first in the footwell by his feet. No-one was injured and I think the end result was a simple "Knock-for-knock" job in order to avoid the police becoming involved.

First pint would have been in the Chesterfield Arms in Gedling in about 1970, when I was 13!

Sherwood Cycling Club had their club room over the old stables and it was customary that once the meetings finished, everyone piled into the bar. And as nobody seemed bothered about my age, it was only right that I joined in.

First legal drink was a half of Bass in the Tavern in the Town during my lunch break. It tasted awful.

My first pint was in a pub in St Albans.

We went on a school trip to the Roman ruins of Verulamium.

There were lots of the other boys bragging about their drinking exploits.

Three of us stayed well away from everybody else and ended up having two halves of bitter each and a game of darts

I cannot remember the name of the pub but I do remember that we were drinking Flowers bitter.

Had a couple of visits whilst away for the weekend with the buckets bashers. But the first time in a 'proper' pub was Dec 24th 1962 aged 16 and 3 months..

In Jan that year I started with EMGAS and was stationed at Beeston showrooms, come lunch time on the 24th all the lads used to go round the corner to the Commercial Inn corner of Nuart Road and Wollaton Road for a pre Christmas drink.

I don't remember to much but I do know Roy my fitter had to put me on a Nottingham bound bus asking the 'duckie' to put me off near a 43 bus stop, I also remember the sniggers when we returned to work between Christmas and New Year, took a week or two before they found someone else to have a laugh at.

My first drink in a pub was in the Horse Shoe Inn in Bulwell ('oss Shoes). This was with the motorbike lads that used the best-room as their meeting place. Good landlord, named Claude (Woonton, I think). Being a lowly apprentice, never having any money, I remember once walking to Bulwell with seven pence ha'penny, buying half a mild and making last all evening and then walking back to Cinder Hill. Take pity on me at the next meet-up.

• Upvote 1

Ha! My first pub drink was also a half of mild in the Horseshoe! In my case around 1965/6, when mild was I think, 1s and 5d a pint.

A couple of the lads took me into town in a car and I had 3 pints of mild in the 'Trip'. By the time we got back to Bulwell I was falling about and throwing up.

Ian Gregory, whose Dad had the old Nelson, took me home on his Royal Enfield, one hand on the bars and the other often behind his back holdiing me on.

Ian, Mel Starkey and others took me to our back door where my Mum answered and immediately thought I'd had a bike accident.

The lads hesitantly explained that I was 'p!$$ed' and then dropped me and ran. I lurched through the back kitchen and ended up face down on the living room floor... :).

I was given a drink of salt water by my Dad to complete the throwing up experience and was out of favour for a day or so....

The rest is history..

Col

• Upvote 1

Off topic i know,but col.was Mel Starkey off Bancroft st,his name rings a bell with me and i'm thinking Footballer....?

Suppose he could have lived there later Ben, but when I knew him he lived in one of the streets off Coventry Rd in one of those old terraces. Can't remember exactly which, but around Greasley St area. I'll see if I can find out.

EDIT: Just checked with Picko, who says there is a chap caled Micky Kemp from Bancroft who is a footballer. Local teams etc., but had trials for a few league teams. I don't know him. Dave also confirmed Mel lived around Greasley St and wasn't a footballer.

Col

Mel is far right. Standing with pint. This about 1965-6.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/fwowmuqyVmNXIimXrG60P8YwEZCdh_jEP_-YrEep5sb6tcByMBJuPSOxnQooq5ivdewkVLEwr3LusQt2OK7_fz_Ny0w_hmAV_7tQCrYSSi6m0P5zbvJBO3xjtyiEi1SU-SWV0NrVDUGbtzPOx5NCXtShreryNSvNeh-WPoe2GKi3eUfzKA6_WhyqG9nWGNpEnlGKqhuiQiN9etqmoWQi6mPlFf-R72pjfhjFsB2k6J-pBUlFOd6Ii4KJJa36-GqPjO4vcF4xq-lQxhJV16Hj4NUJjFEBuiUiozfDV2qvzmsvEN2AzBwIi5DVajmSTrXGven5G0FZYdpKQ2ueuhh358l4NQNzdLUOv9lKmAB1-N7r98H-U7v6po-X9WWW8gtbHTS3Vvp1PEdkVhadc629_gqmLdpeWiZ0Al8g_3XlQ8m8Uo5eEjtuZbI483CqMGcHFK3Spji28exW_PHluleyatajF9dMRY7KxsifFkjfFAYZD8vhDWrtBFT9HsAxE1Rkhog6f8t4SOkQcyPs2HItrUN2p5SK-_BLwnE9Qo_W2tMGLYiKQLxia5tUDoqi__LF2c1RyqeGVBf_gdXkDHYUNy0iTaz6XVY=w444-h789-no

My first pub drink would have been at the Nags Head on Carlton hill,my parents house was near to the pub (a row of four old houses,now demolished )anyway they wouldn't believe I was old enough so. I said ask my Dad then,and they did....But before I was old enough dad would take us to the lord nelson in burton Joyce ,he would bring a tray of drinks to the car and treat me to a cherry brandy.

• Upvote 1