Where did you meet your Partner?

360 Club, Bulwell, 1971.  Liked the look of him the minute I saw him, and what he did with that violin bass, cor.  Was he interested in me - nope. Great group though so me and my mate became their groupies - but only in the way of going to see them wherever they played.  Won the shy bassist over when he got to know me!  Married, moved to Cromford had 2 daughters. Left us much too young in 1999. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Met him in the Flying Horse, the downstairs bar on the left.   He was on a Management Course at Ratcliffe College and had come into Nottingham for a night out because of the reputation the city had.  

The first Mrs. L and I used to call this our song.  It is almost a play by play of what happened to us. Me butting in between two girls, seeing her home and then the clincher.   Next night,

First kiss !!!  Still blows my socks off when I think of that.   If I forget everything else i think that would be the last to go.   I swear me ears stood straight up.

1 hour ago, Unmade Marian said:

360 Club, Bulwell, 1971.

Sorry to hear that UM.

It's possible our paths crossed at some point as I DJ'd at thc 360 for some years, but was drifting away by '71.  What was the band?

After a number of years DJ ing almost every night, and also having broken up with a long term GF, I went wandering after an old flame from Doncaster, which led by a convoluted series of events to me chasing another young lady from High Wycombe.  I caught her briefly, but she escaped and I met a language student from Liverpool who was at High Wycombe College and working evenings in a popular pub.  We married in 1972 and have stayed that way for 48 years.

P.S. I can't dance either...

• Like 3

Being an Hairdresser we worked late nights, it was Friday and my bother n' wife had come home for the weekend (He Was In the RAF) arrived homeabout 8 30. Dave n Carole  were for a drink and ask me to go with them. I did not know what to do as I was only 16 going on 17, Dave said it would be OK has he was friends with the landlord. Any way we went to a pub called The Blue Bell which was on Robin Hood st  Alfred St. Standing by the juke box this chap came up to me and ask which record I would like him to put on, after we had a game of darts. He ask if he could walk me home, The rest is History.

PS    What about your first kiss?

I like this thread even if you have lost your partner you remember the good times.

• Like 6

First kiss (on the cheek) when I was 12 at the cinema with my first boyfriend (also 12)

First ‘proper’ kiss was when I was 14 - he wasn’t my boyfriend and it was a game of postman’s knock at someone’s 16th birthday party!   Didn’t think much to that at the time.

First kiss with a real boyfriend was later that year - and that was much better!

• Like 3

Can't say that i remember my first Kiss..........i can recall several very early ones,,,Used to have many birthday parties when at school,,,Mams and Dads went out and left us to it.......Postmans knock was always played  ,,remember that ?  Got to kiss ALL the girls,,another kissing game/Dance ''Black-out Arches'' Kisses galore in that....lol

Fancied lots of girls at school ad the two games mentioned were good ways of getting a kiss,sometimes led to a Snog,,,always fancied a girl named Rosie with long blond hair,,,,anyway she was a good Kisser....and i thought i'd cracked her for a date,,but no,she still turned me down,,,Still see her now and again in Bulwell,,,think she'd still turn me down...lol..

• Like 2

The first Mrs. L and I used to call this our song.  It is almost a play by play of what happened to us.

Me butting in between two girls, seeing her home and then the clincher.  

Next night, after the pictures we called at my place to introduce her to my folks.

She said I asked her to marry me after three weeks.  Well, when yer know, yer know, don't yer? :biggrin:

Great memories I hope you keep 'em coming.

We used to sing that song.  After we got our first crazy dog we changed the first line to 'Then he bit me.'

• Like 6
F8C1D454-C138-4204-B8B5-62E9E8B0A8D1

KNEW i had a Picture of Gloria (or is it Jill) outside SAMSONS in Norwich...after we had danced the 'Black Bottom......lol 

• Like 4

Thanks Loppy and DJ for your thoughtful words.  The group were called Orphan.

Oh, Mr Lugs

8 hours ago, loppylugs said:

First kiss !!!  Still blows my socks off when I think of that.   If I forget everything else i think that would be the last to go. :crazy:  I swear me ears stood straight up.

This comment did make me laff.  

• Like 3

Please don't tell the master but my first kiss was long before i met him. Mam and Dad  had a caravan on yes you know where, "Stows" carvan park Winthorpe Skeg. Nearly everyone I knew had a van on Stow's 

Any way I met the nice looking young man, his name was David Wood and It's amazing that I can still remember where he lived 

11 Stag Lane Rotherham  any way we went out to-gether a few times, then we stood out side the cafe and yes he kissed me!!!!!

I thought that I had gone to heaven. This secret is for us girls only "he had a little hairy mole on his top lip and when he kissed me it would tickle "   We kept in touch by that old fashion thig called letters. Sadly it fizzle out but OH!!! what a smashing kisser he was..     They do't make um like that any more.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

That kiss I wrote about this morning with the first Mrs. L  wasn't my first.  I went steady with a gal before her, but it was destined to go nowhere.  A nice girl I'm sure she made some guy a good wife but it wasn't to be me.  The chemistry just wasn't there.

The first Mrs L really rang my bell with the very first one.  Right after seeing her home after the dance.  I walked home three feet off the ground.  :Kiss:

• Like 4

The first kiss with my dearly beloved actually wasn't a kiss at all. After meeting by the Lion with my best friend and her best friend we went in the Flying Horse and a riotous night where  we all drank far to much. She wanted to try a Pimms No1 which  came in a half pint dimple glass with what looked like a a small fruit farm thrown in it. Slurp swish gone, that was nice can I another?... 

Eventually it was home time and acting like a gentleman I walked her to the bus station and cuddled up on the seat in Huntingdon Street for that first hesitant magical kiss... Except just as we were about make contact she pushed me away and was violently sick!  the Pimms made a spectacular return journey, (first and only time I ever saw her drunk).

Charming I thought, bloody charming... but we did meet again and the rest as they say is history

• Like 3

Can't say as I can recall my first kiss, it couldn't have been that memorable. What I do remember though was going out with a girl, whose dad was landlord of the Midland hotel, Wollaton Road. She was an identical twin and she and her sister used to swap and I never knew the difference. I must have been about 17.

• Like 3

Met him in the Flying Horse, the downstairs bar on the left.   He was on a Management Course at Ratcliffe College and had come into Nottingham for a night out because of the reputation the city had.  I was out with my best friend and she fancied his friend, I wasn’t interested as I’d been going out with someone for about 18 months and was happy enough.  We took them to the Hippo Club, had a good time and they gave us a lift home.  He wanted to see me the following night but I was seeing my boyfriend so I declined. My friend kept in touch with his mate.  About a year later, my friend said that HE would like to take me out as he’d heard I wasn’t with the boyfriend anymore.  I agreed even though I couldn’t even remember what he looked like. So on Halloween 1972 he came from Banbury to Arnold to take me out. We went to The Chateau for a steak dinner, I wrote in my diary “He’s very nice” , we then had a longish distance romance and we were married in 1975, spending 30 years living around the Northern Home Counties but I persuaded him to move to Nottingham 16 years ago.  

• Like 7

First kiss?  She was.. ( hopefully still is..) called Barbara.  We had a 'snog' somewhere up Hempshill Lane, Bulwell as it was in the early 60s. She didn't turn out to be 'the one', but she was certainly a very acceptable 'First attempt'.  :)

Hempshill Lane is unrecognisable now, but I have been thinking about the adventures we had up there in the early 60s.  I'll put something up in the next few days.

• Like 2

DJ360    Is the Highbury Vale pub still there?   Which was on Highbury Vale rd, I worked at the salon across frpm there called Hair Progress.

Oxford still there Mary.........old one pulled down,,,used to work there in about 1967 for 4/- per hour,,,some characters drank in there including some of my relatives,,they had a room called the ''Blood room'' where after fighting on some waste ground corner of Piccadilly they went to get cleaned up.....aye we had some quaint customs down our way.....

I'M off now then Joe'' (Joe was Landlord)

OK Ben,,did you clean that blood off ''Juke Box''?...........Most of it, night....

• Like 3

I had a few scoops in the old Oxford way back. I think my neice uses the new one..Covid permitting. She lives in Logan St.