Where did you meet your Partner?

Hi Rob

I do believe it's still in use. I would love to have a look inside to see how it's changed, if it has. I remember the layout so well, I almost lived down there for a while! It was the biggest at the time it was built, I don't know about now. I used to work in the office block over the top of the bowling alley, I think it was called Barker Gate House, so as well as work at the B.A. and socialize there, I also nipped in to the snack bar at lunch times.

Which team did you play for, and when would that be. My hub played for the Skol 5, this would be around '67.

Kath

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Met him in the Flying Horse, the downstairs bar on the left.   He was on a Management Course at Ratcliffe College and had come into Nottingham for a night out because of the reputation the city had.  

The first Mrs. L and I used to call this our song.  It is almost a play by play of what happened to us. Me butting in between two girls, seeing her home and then the clincher.   Next night,

First kiss !!!  Still blows my socks off when I think of that.   If I forget everything else i think that would be the last to go.   I swear me ears stood straight up.

Which team did you play for, and when would that be. My hub played for the Skol 5, this would be around '67.

Played for an NCB Bestwood Offices team, named 'The Outlaws'? - I think!.

It would be '62-'64 ish, from the time just after the bowl opened.

Recall putting my outrageous bowling shirt into a house charity collection sack a few years back.

Perhaps some 3rd World person might be wearing it with pride imsorry

Cheers

Robt P.

• 2 years later...

Met my late wife back in 1963 when I moved house with my parents, I had just turned fifteen and was starting work on the Monday as we moved on the weekend and the rest is history.

Not quite, you thought then Bip wasn’t very well didn’t you, you thought thank Christ Bips not going to give us his life’s history well you are right I am.

Met my late wife at the skool gates, well nothing new there I hear some of you say he’s still cradle snatching to this present.

She was just coming up to twelve years of age and I was besotted with her from that very first encounter.

Our relationship didn’t really blossom until she reached the age of fifteen when she started work for JPS and Sons the very company I was working for.

When she reached the age of sixteen the skin was knocked off the rice pudding so to speak and when she reached eighteen we got engaged and a year later wedding bells rang for both of us.

In nineteen seventy-two we had our first child a girl by nineteen seventy-six we had a baby boy, a year later I went for the snip and have been on the liver and kelp tablets ever since which explains the black outs and coloured urine in the summer months whenever I eat broccoli.

We parted in two thousand and five and for me it was a new start to life that I’m coping well with now; it was a struggle at first and for several years after.

I have found a new partner who I feel comfortable with, one who can handle my mood swings and alcohol intake, maybe if the faith healer is as good as he says he is and the taro cards are right the future for me and tich looks very rosy indeed but then again we have to get the honey moon period over first.

Bip.

Met my late wife at a Monday night dance at the YMCA on Shakespeare street. Spring of 1963.

She was 17 I was 18. We were married Sept 11 1965. 911 a day I am now reminded of all the time. We had a great marriage. Had hoped to grow old together. Oh well!!! 33 good years while they lasted. She was a lady in every sense of the word.

• Like 1

...BUMP...

com'n then Tich... spill the beans inthebin.gif

Well I saw this advertisement from a very sad looking boxer, that said: lady wanted to keep me company tickle my belly cuddle me and take me for walks as my master is glued to his computer, must also like my master, cos he does feed me and house me, and occasionally takes me out in the van, so what could I do couldn't resist his lovely squashed face !laughing!

• 7 months later...

I met my husband at the Sheds Beeston in 1964 131/2 years old whent down there with a group of motor cycling friends

did not like him at all as he was too much of a tormenting s-d with a funny sence of humour.Eventually went out with him in 1967 still a torment when we met up again in 1965 when i started going down the whitehart lenton regularly married in dec 1972 so you can see it took him a long while to persaude me he was the one for me we have been marrie 37 years now still a tormenting so and so but could not wish for a better husband

I met my wife at the White Hart Lenton in 1977, got engaged in 1978 and married 1991. BTW I went down the Sheds Beeston in the early 60s, Babs do you remember Jack's Cafe on Villa Street Beeston from the same era?

You and Isobel and Debbie came together to the Hart that night, and then we all went back to mine. When you and Isobel left Debbie stayed,and 33 years later we are still together.

Yes that was it, Debbie used to babysit for us, couldn't remember exact details. Yes Dad was one of the team who fitted revolving dance floor, worked at Furze at the time, another job he did was the closing cutains at wilford hill cremo, years later I helped remove such and fit the swinging gates

I met my wife at the White Hart Lenton in 1977, got engaged in 1978 and married 1991. BTW I went down the Sheds Beeston in the early 60s, Babs do you remember Jack's Cafe on Villa Street Beeston from the same era?

Yes we went there and Robins On Queens Rd as well.We remember you both well,dont tell me you cart remember piggy the daft so and so who went about with Big Mick Marriott

Used to work on the bins in Beeston before he went in the airforce.Lived near the hart.He says he was proberly one of the last ones to be invited to wear the ace badge after going about with them for about 3 years.he used to make a lot of the leather aces for jackets from old school satchels and paint them white so the lads could stud them on there jackets. Used to ride a few different bikes mainly with side cars on so he could take Mick home when he was drunk.

We had our first son in 76 so did not come out much after this for a while sometimes would come in the car park for a drink with the kids but not very often. Before we had the kids I was always upstairs at the hart mainly with 41 club crowd most people know me as soon as they see me, BUT DONT REMEMBER MY NAME.

I met my wife at the Embassy in BULWELL IN 1953 Iwas in the army national service on embarkation leave and was posted to Gibraltar the very next day we just had time to swap addresses then I was away for 2 years,but we wrote regularly and met again in 1955 courted for 2 years and married in 1957 ANY OTHER MEMORIES OF THE EMBASY eg MRs Homes and her little stick,or nipping down to ROBINSONS HILL CLUB,for a crafty pint during the interval

Where in Bulwell was the Embassy?

HIGHBURY VALE OVER THE RAILWAY LINE iTHINK IT IS A PLASTER COMPANY NOW SELLING CIELING ROSES

THERE USED TO BE A SCRAP YARD hendersons behind it.

Yhe original building is still there, it looks like a town hall

Rog , that's far too easy for the wags on here mate!!!!!!!

What used to be The Clinton Rooms, Clinton Street.

But in 1996 it was an Irish Bar, Name?

O'Riley's rings a bell?

Original Wife was in 1971 at THe Dancing Slipper, West Bridgeford, when I was a DJ there.

Bus Stop on Radford Road, NOT as some say on Forest Road!

NOW THATS NOT NICE ASH. LOVE TO ISSY.

PETE BUTTLER OVER HERE NEXT WEEK HOPEFULLY DOWN THE WHITEHART THURSDAY NIGHT HOPING TO SEE AS MANY OLD FRIENDS AS POSIBLE SO IF YOU KNOW PETE COME AND MEET HIM AGAIN HE ONLY HAS THREE DAYS IN NOTTS SO TIME IS SHORT FOR HIM SO COME DOWN TO MEET HIM THEN FROM 7.30 ONWARDS.