Where did you meet your Partner?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Met him in the Flying Horse, the downstairs bar on the left.   He was on a Management Course at Ratcliffe College and had come into Nottingham for a night out because of the reputation the city had.  

The first Mrs. L and I used to call this our song.  It is almost a play by play of what happened to us. Me butting in between two girls, seeing her home and then the clincher.   Next night,

First kiss !!!  Still blows my socks off when I think of that.   If I forget everything else i think that would be the last to go.   I swear me ears stood straight up.

• 10 years later...

Dancing is one of the many social graces that I've never managed to master. I went once to a dance school with my fiance above Burtons in Newark. We started with the waltz and progressed to the cha cha during the evening. I kept falling over on the polished floor. Fortunately there was a bar so I spent most of the evening in there much to my partner's disgust. She did marry me eventually though!

Phil, my wife is a very competent dancer having attended a performing arts academy in Coventry called Pattison College. She didn’t pursue it as a career becoming a teacher instead. I for that matter can't dance to save my life which has caused much debate and argument during our 31 years of marriage. I will only venture onto the dance floor if I'm very well oiled and have lost all my inhibitions. When I'm stone cold sober I'm extremely conscious that I look a complete pillock when I attempt to dance. I'm a competent musician so I don't or shouldn’t have a problem with rhythm but dancing and me simply don't mix.

Very few chaps I've ever met were any use where dancing was concerned.  One of the reasons my mum married my father was, according to her, because he was an excellent dancer. They, of course, liked ballroom dancing and I was taught all those dances as a child. My formal training was classical but perhaps my favourite area of dance is much older. Historical dance. Anything from classical Greek to Tudor. In Tudor times, it was considered very socially unacceptable for men of rank not to know how to dance and dance well.

Dancing was just a means to an end for me.  Meet young ladies.  Hanfords, Colemans, the Palais. the YMCA.  The Y was where I met my late wife.  She was dancing with another girl.  I broke an unwritten rule in splitting them up.  Us lads always believed you should never try to split up two girls if on your own.  Easier for her to refuse if she's dancing with a pal.  Well old Loppy grabbed her quick that night.  Saw her home later and never looked back.  I don't recall going dancing again.  It had served it's purpose.  ;)

• Like 4

Like your style Loppy! 
Met my future husband in the Flying Horse pub,  he’s never been a dancer and in lots of ways he’s cramped my style over the past 48 years, he will never get up and dance.  

• Like 2

I needed to give Ben a run for his money.  :biggrin:

Took her to the pictures the next night.  The Ritz, Carlton.  Lizzie would know that one.  Film wasn't up to much.  'This sporting life.'  I didn't care, all the sporting was going on in the back row.  Ahhhh! memories, memories.  

Edited to add.  He would only dance to Poulenc, Jill.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sorry for some of the thread drift, my fault.

I've often wanted to start a thread on 'first date'.  I haven't done it because I didn't want to possibly hurt the feelings of those who have lost spouses in one way or another by bringinging up possibly painful memories.

Whaddya all think?  Good idea, or let sleeping dogs lie?  Could also narrow it down, are we talking about puppy love or first serious date?

• Like 1

For what it's  worth, I'll tell yu'all how I  met my good lady of 55 years. It was August 19th, 1962. She was waiting at the bus stop on Granby Street with her younger sister, Yvonne. I was the conductor on the 16A to Bilborough, Coventry Lane, (what was just a crossroads with Wollaton rd). It was the 12.02 from the city, and I helped her little 8 year old sister onto the bus, (a good way of striking up a conversation ! Worked every time). Between collecting fares, we chatted, as they were sitting on the long seat just inside the bus. As we approached their stop at Bradfield Road, I thought it's now or never, I won't get a second chance. The rest is history.....We married in September 4th, 1965. HAD TWO  DIABLED CHILDREN AND I'VE NEVER REGRETTED ONE MINUTE !!

Just noticed, there is a thread elsewhere, sorry !

• Like 4

The current Mrs L and I were both widowed.  We find it easy to talk of our late spouses.  I suppose because we were both happy with them.  We have their photos on the shelf and often have a smile about our previous marriages, neither of us feel threatened or uncomfortable taking about it.  I accept the fact that some would, which is why I asked.

Where's the other thread BK?  I'd like to read it.

• Like 4

Right hand side council house Lion on a blind date. Apparently she new after three weeks we would marry, took me almost two years to reach the same conclusion...  :wub:

• Like 3

Outside the nurses’ home at Leicester Royal Infirmary in November 1963.    I was just coming off duty and he was hanging around with 2 of his mates hoping to pick up some nurses!   We got talking then went to the local pub, followed by the Bowling Alley.

• Like 2

I think it is as looking TOWARDS the Council House..

i always met people at the RH lion.  He was the one I always sat on when I was very small

• Like 2

Not sure if ive posted this before but apologies if i have.

I first saw/ met my husband in Sawyers downstairs bar where i worked 3 eveings a week . He didnt particularly notice me and i didnt particularly remember him. But as time went on i starting dating an Italian that i met there. He took me to Trattoria Conte on our first date and from what he told me later , he saw me descending the stairs and thought to himself. " Im going to marry that girl" Later he had arranged to return to Italy and i and a friend went to see him at the Trattoria to wish him luck. He invited us to go to the Society Club after he finished work as he was leaving the next day. We spent the evening at the Club and when it was time to go home he asked me to travel with him back to Italy. I was a hairdressing manageress and couldnt leave my job at a minutes notice but i followed him. 3 weeks later, met his family and fell in love with him. We got engaged there and then. This last May we celebrated our golden wedding. Romantic? 

Yes it was and always is .  

• Like 3