Sweet shop in Kirk White Street

Talking about the sweet shop in Kirk White Street. In the late 1890s my grandmother owned that shop and my mother told me how she only had to cross the road to go to school.

I can also remember her telling me how when she helped out in the shop. The workmen called in on their way to work for a packet of Woodbines and a match. By the way the packet was only two fags and the cost was one old penny.

My mothers maiden name was Ada Day.

• 3 years later...

Hello Hal. I am new to this site and just become a member. My parents were from Nottingham and although they are now long departed I am trying to research their lives in Nottingham. My mother was Connie Hufton nee Truman. She was from the Meadows area and lived until marriage at 74 Waterway Street with her mother Lizzie Truman. She had brothers Thomas and, William, Fred and Gerald. My father William Hufton was also from The Meadows and had brothers Cecil and Les. My parents as children used to spend their sweetie stash at the shop you mentioned. I would love to know if any of these names mean anything to you. Also a big mystery in the family is where my great great grandmother Emma Goodman nee Hawkridge hailed from. Any help from anyone still alive who remembers gossip? Many thanks Sandra Hufton

Hello Humbug, and Welcome.

Hal has not posted here for a while, If you check his profile from the link, you can send him an email (if His email address is up to date here) If you get any information please post it back here.

You should also Subscribe to this topic (Look Top Right, OPTIONS then TRACK THIS TOPIC)

to receive email notifications of any replies that are posted even in the distant future.

(Like yours 4 years after Hals post).

Google and other search engines log all posts here, and those names will come up if anyone searches them.

I hope you will stay with us and share your Notts Memories.

ANYONE ELSE HELP WITH THIS?

Hello Humbug, and Welcome.

Hal has not posted here for a while, If you check his profile from the link, you can send him an email (if His email address is up to date here) If you get any information please post it back here.

You should also Subscribe to this topic (Look Top Right, OPTIONS then TRACK THIS TOPIC)

to receive email notifications of any replies that are posted even in the distant future.

(Like yours 4 years after Hals post).

Google and other search engines log all posts here, and those names will come up if anyone searches them.

I hope you will stay with us and share your Notts Memories.

ANYONE ELSE HELP WITH THIS?

Thanks a lot for the reply. I am still trying to get the hang of the site and am really looking forward to replies with anticipation.