Berni Inns of Nottingham

Yes, although Woolworths had two entrances it joined up to be one store inside and went round the back of the Sawyers Arms, which was incidently one of the 7 Berni Inns in Nottingham in the 60's. I remember having three course sirloin meal in there for 10/6, dead posh then but turned into a dump later on.

B) Breaking News Flash :D

:o Restaurant pioneer Berni dies, aged 88 23 Oct 1997. Aldo Berni, co-founder of Berni Inns, the steakhouse restaurants ... :o

post-11-1102187309_thumb.jpg

I used to go to a Berni Inn at the top of Market Street just above Griffin and Spalding.

Does any-one remember it's name?

The steak was great..and cheap.

It was just before you turned onto Parliament Street and across the road from The Scala cinema...I think!

Does anyone remember if the Commodore was a Berni Inn at any time? if it wasn't it must have been a steak house of some sort,I remember having the proverbial steak,chips,peas & mushrooms & for dessert black forest gateau & the Irish coffee too. I seem to recall there was a gay chap that worked there Valentine rings a bell? this would have been in the early 80's.

Caz :rolleyes:

I used to go to a Berni Inn at the top of Market Street just above Griffin and Spalding.

Does any-one remember it's name?

It was just before you turned onto Parliament Street and across the road from The Scala cinema...I think!

Thank for those leads Ann.

I remember this as "Old Orleans", But you are right it was a 'Berni' But what it

was called escapes me.

"Griffin & Spalding" I had totally forgotten. This large upmarket store is now of

course Debenhams.

The scala is another one I forgot. When My mum brought me to Nottingham for

a treat in the 50's it was 'The News Theatre'.

Also now gone and in the shaddow of Griffin & Spalding on Long Row

was Lyons Coffee house, which you entered by climbing a set of steps as I remember.

I'm definately having to put me thinking cap on now. :unsure:

I remember when you went into the Berni in on Market Street you had to go down some steep dark stairs.

I'd completely forgotten the Scala was called The Newshouse, yet I used to go there a lot.

Around the corner and just along Parliament Street was The Elite, later a Bingo hall.

Talking about Lyons..I remember Lyons coffee house was the only place open on a Sunday afternoon and all the girls put on their Sunday best and met their boyfriends there. You went through the door front door on Long Row and could sit just inside, or you could go up some steps and into the back and have your coffee sitting at one of the posh tables!

It was 'the' place to meet.

Across Market Street was a back entrance to Yates's, any-one remember?Maybe it's still there. I don't know.

There also used to be a little store that belonged to Yates's where you could buy the wines they sold inside.

Once a year you could buy a special anniversary port from there, I used to have to go and fetch a bottle of it for my Auntie that's how I remember it.

;) :D :D

Oh yes I remember them..I think the third instrument was a cello.

Everything they played sounded the same..just kidding!

They played on Yates's balcony for many many years.

I reckon when it was chucking out time, they used to throw a dustcover over them as well as their their instruments until opening time the next day!

Bill Thompson one of the trio was a Spiritualist, he also wrote a book

on Spiritualism.

Re the back entrance to Yates's..if I close my eyes I can remember going down that back entrance, it was always dark and always seemed to be raining, if you turned left, it brought you to the back door of the balcony, but there was another room on the left as well with a bar and you could go in there before you went through the door leading to the balcony.

:o

The Britannia (on Huntingdon Street) and the Flying Horse were both Berni Inns at one time or another. There was also a plan for one in the Vic Centre originally but the site opened as The Welbeck Pub (next door to Chelsea Girl).

Thanks for That Bamber :D

Its all coming back now. The Brittannia was the upstairs one near to the

Sally Army next to Bath Street.

And the Welbeck was the one you went downstairs to, on the Trinity square side of the Victoria Centre, When the Vic Centre was just a hole in the ground!

Yes The flying Horse, What a great pub that was!

I started a new topic for the Pub here... The Flying Horse Pub

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Definitely wasn't the Sawyer's Arms. My grandmother took over the SA on her own in 1964/5, but she and her husband had owned the place for a couple of years previously. She stayed in that position until the late 70s.

• 4 weeks later...

i thought the only berni inns in nottm where sawyers near broad marsh,cricket players near the ice stadium and the chateaux on wilford lane,my son was head chef when whitbread closed it down and bought me a big berni inn sign he found in the cellars

• 1 month later...