Soul Music Trivia Question

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always believed R Dean Taylor to be the first white male singer on Motown, as I'm certain it was widely publicised in the NME and Melody Maker at the time.

Having enjoyed Motown the Musical last night on a West End stage I ought to be able to answer your quiz questions Ian as the show was based around the life of  Motown founder, Berry Gordy. However the

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ok, just to keep on with the question bit.........What was the name of the visitor to "The Dungeon" in 1966, who sang a song about a cow?

Long Shot, in the 60's Norman Greenbaum had a hit with Spirit In The Sky c/w Milk Cow ?

I never did know what c/w. stood for?

Hi guys - here I am!

Lee Dorsey - duh!

C/W - coupled with! Double A-side! Well, I want to just hang back a bit here - I remember it as that, but sometimes my memory plays tricks!

By the way - I'm in touch with Stu and he remembers me! I'm chuffed as nuts! Thanks for the info Craig!

Also - guys the Northern Soul show on Radio Stoke is fantastic! !englandflag! You probably all knew that! :angry2:

Craig - here's a question for you! When did people first start calling it Northern Soul as opposed to Soul? I know when I used to go to the Place in Hanley in about '67, it was just soul then and there.............

Well done Charlie! ( at last!!!) The other animal song Lee did was "Ride your pony"! I actually met him, at The Dungeon in '66 where, amongst others, he did both of those songs.

As for the term Northern soul, a dj called Dave Godin (i think hes still around came up with it in the very early 70's basically just to put a label on what was being played in the clubs a little more north than Watford lets say. (Actually a good deal more!)

Speaking of that, Kev Roberts has a series of cd's called "North of Watford" places like Selectadisc have them sub £5, and on the latest one which is a double (Best of N o W) he actually mentions me as one of the "Old Timers!"..........ive bollocked him for that description!!

CORRECTION......Dave Godin died just over 3 years ago.

Thanks Craig for that, took me right back :)

The first track I heard by LD was Working in a coal mine?

Holy Cow - Lee Dorsey

I cant weep and I cant eat

Since you walked out on me

Holy smoke, what you doin to me, yeah

I cant eat and I cant sleep, yeah

Since you walked out on me, yeah

Holy cow, whatcha doin, child, child

Whatcha doin, whatcha doin, child

No joke

Hey hey hey

Hurts my bones, the job I lost

Walkin the ledge, my nerves on edge

Since you walked out on me, yeah

Holy cow, whatcha doin, child, child

No joke

Hey hey hey

I cant weep and I cant eat

I cant eat and I cant sleep

Holy cow, whatcha doin, child

Well done Charlie! ( at last!!!) The other animal song Lee did was "Ride your pony"! I actually met him, at The Dungeon in '66 where, amongst others, he did both of those songs.

As for the term Northern soul, a dj called Dave Godin (i think hes still around came up with it in the very early 70's basically just to put a label on what was being played in the clubs a little more north than Watford lets say. (Actually a good deal more!)

Speaking of that, Kev Roberts has a series of cd's called "North of Watford" places like Selectadisc have them sub £5, and on the latest one which is a double (Best of N o W) he actually mentions me as one of the "Old Timers!"..........ive bollocked him for that description!!

CORRECTION......Dave Godin died just over 3 years ago.

I have all that North of watford stuff! I always thought his 'lost hits and golden memories' was a very strange compilation - 'Surfin' USA'?

Can't believe you're an old timer - you just started very young - right?

Ben E King???

I have North of Watford volume one, and inside was a contact address for you to send in suggestions for further volumes, I suggested loads for them (Gloria Jones ,Tainted love ,Groovin' with Mr Blo by Mr Blo, Footsie, Wigans chosen few, etc ) but I never heard a reply from them, There fore I could have contributed to further recordings without realising,as I actually didn't realise there were further volumes, (It was at this time I went to work in Ibiza and there wasn't a lot of call for 'Northern' over there,) And I sort of stopped D.Jing after I came back to the U.K. (And there isn't a record shop round here, the nearest good 'un being about 30 miles away in Ellesmere Port)

OK - just guessing but I bet it's the Temptations and if it isn't my second guess is the Drifters......

Charlie gets it again!, Dennis Edwards replaced David Ruffin, anyone wanna hazard a guess which group he was with before the Temps?