Soul Music Trivia Question

Wasn't Dennis Edwards in 'The Contours' of 'Just a little missunderstanding' chart fame they also had a US hit with ?????????????????????? (I can get the melody in head but I can't get the title, it was in 'Dirty Dancing')

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always believed R Dean Taylor to be the first white male singer on Motown, as I'm certain it was widely publicised in the NME and Melody Maker at the time.

Having enjoyed Motown the Musical last night on a West End stage I ought to be able to answer your quiz questions Ian as the show was based around the life of  Motown founder, Berry Gordy. However the

Wasn't Dennis Edwards in 'The Contours' of 'Just a little missunderstanding' chart fame they also had a US hit with ?????????????????????? (I can get the melody in head but I can't get the title, it was in 'Dirty Dancing')

"Do you love me" was that song! Also covered by Brian Poole and the Tremeloes, worked with Brian, and indeed his daughters, Alishas Attic.

Dennis also had "Dont look any further" out mid/late 80's

OK, another question ......................possibly hard, especially if you dont cheat and use Google!!

Which group doing the "mod" club circuit in the 60's covered "Ill keep on holding on" originally done by The Marvellettes?

A small clue, according to some, this band evolved into Ace, of "How Long" fame

Well that was Paul Carrack ,of Mike and the Mechanics ,along with a fellow called Paul Young (Sadly no longer with us), not wherever I lay my hat fame, and Paul Carrack was also in the Small Faces so thats my guess ...The Small Faces

I think it's by 'The Action' a top live band in the sixties. Paul Carrack was in Ace, Roxy Music and Squeeze but I didn't think he was ever a member of The Small Faces (who evolved into The Faces).

It's defintely the Action - and the single is worth a few bob!

Paul wasn't in the S Faces - I thnk they were Roger Daltrey, Brian Eno, Mick Fleetwood and Syd Barrett - but I could be wrong too. :-)

Alisha's Attic - I have three CDs and I thought they were the business! I had no idea they were BP's daughters! I bet he sometimes wishes he'd never left the tremeloes who did rather well afterwards!

Now, who was the man who could've been in Robert Plant's job? Very Soulful voice - but a bit on the rockist side of the street!

On the soulful side - what's the Link between Pigmeat Markham and Shorty Long?

I think it's by 'The Action' a top live band in the sixties. Paul Carrack was in Ace, Roxy Music and Squeeze but I didn't think he was ever a member of The Small Faces (who evolved into The Faces).

It was Squeeze I was mixing up with the Small Faces (I only heard the story recently and dragged the wrong facts from my extremely hung over head)

They both have daft names????????

They both have daft names????????

I guess we'll have to let Craig come up with the right answer!! But, while we're waiting here's a clue - judge not, lest ye be judged!

Clues? Who needs clues?

pigmeatmarkhamim4.jpg6809073005.jpg

Well done Mick... And yes, that was the answer i would have given, i have both in the collection, bought Pigmeats first on the strength of Mike Ravens soul show playing it on Radio 1 all those years ago.

Well done too, Stu and Charlie, The Action was the group, i saw them live at The Dungeon, and very recently bought a cd of theirs from Selectadisc, including the song i asked about.

Another question...? OK..............dead easy this, if you know the answer, Name the first white female signed to Motown, not male, we all know that was R Dean Taylor

We had this a little while ago Craig ,I can't remember the answer but I did go on to point out that Charleen (Sadly no longer with us) was white and on Motown when she released "I've nevere been to me"

I bought the Pigmeat thing back in about '68 and thought it was brill!

White motown artist - I know htis - about 6ft tall? Chris Something? Oh God what did she sing.............Love's gone bad....................so it's Chris Clark! !jumping!

I've got a double CD up on the shelves somewhwere.

At about the same time that I bought Pigmeat, maybe a little earlier, I went to italy on a holiday and bought a stompin' soul record that did get soem play over here too..........who sang it and what was it called? I dn't think this is dead hard, but I do think it's one where you know it or you don't - if that makes sense.

Well done on the Chris Clark bit Charlie.....but ive no idea what song you ask about..there are no clues so it could be anything! Having said that, it might be Willie Mitchell, The Champion maybe...?

My comment about R Dean Taylor wasnt clear, sorry, i meant to put "we all know the first white male on Motown"

Another question.........Edwin Starr and another mod band of the era are connected......how??????

Hi Y'all and MERRY CHRISTMAS! !jumping!

Now the answer to my question is here:

http://uk.youtube.com/results?search_query...p;search=Search

and you can even listen to the record! Bet you'll all know it!

This is the best sound - stick with it till the dancing girls have finished

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EIPEfUWfGRk&...feature=related

It's the sigla tv one

Slightly off topic (sorry Mick) thanks to Ian for meeting me - it's a long time since I heard a good old Nottingham voice!

Now then -Edwin Starr and a mod band? Blimey! I only know two mod bands - the Who and the Small Faces. So - I guess maybe he toured with one or t'other. But - no idea really - Ian what do you think?

Edwin Starr and Abba (mod) both had i hit with s.o.s ?

I wouldnt exactly call Abba a mod group! !laughing!

If i tell you the name of the song, you could Google it, and thats too easy!.......Carry on!

If that is the case Stu then it is the U.S. military Both of them were stationed here and stayed on after they were demobbed

Sorry boys, not the "handclappinfootstompinfunkybuttlive" Geno, dunno whether its just me, but werent all of what we term "mod" bands English?

Anyway....a clue.........think of the braking system on most modern cars, and you will find the initials of the band....there, i bet you get it soon now!

Ready for the answer then boys.....................the link to Edwin was the song..Headline News...........and the band was The Alan Bown Set, who covered it on Pye during the same year as the original.