Soul Music Trivia Question

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always believed R Dean Taylor to be the first white male singer on Motown, as I'm certain it was widely publicised in the NME and Melody Maker at the time.

Having enjoyed Motown the Musical last night on a West End stage I ought to be able to answer your quiz questions Ian as the show was based around the life of  Motown founder, Berry Gordy. However the

I'm hadn't thought of the Alan Bown as a mod band - I do have all their stuff -including mono and stereo versions of 'Outward Bown'. (You're right - that is so sad) . Still it is true that as the Alan Bown Set they did a fair number of soul covers so maybe they were seen that way at one time. I remember them at the Place - great live band with a brill horn section. Never did understand why Toyland didn't make it to number one!

But - which one-hit-wonder band covered Toyland but changed the title slightly?

Alan Bown, as in later years wasnt mod at all, but when it was The Alan Bown Set........different story.....anyone remember "Emergency 999"? I seem to recall seeing them somewhere in town in 66/67........

well, I only know two brothers - David and Jimmy of Ruffin fame and I know you are well into Motown so that's going to be my guess - one or t'other was invted to joint the Temptations and turned it down. Now, seeing as how it was david that was in the band I guess Jimmy is the one who turned it down!

By the way - it was the Casuals and they shortened 'Toyalnd' to 'Toy'. Not a bad version but the thing is Jess Roden had one of the finest white-man soul voices EVER!

Well done (again!).....................Ill have to make it harder next time!............Hmm......lets think........... Heres a good un! Many of the clubs around town in about 66 were playing a song, by a singer who had the same surname as a local secondary school, his first name was a bit odd, and as a clue, began with "W" it was on Polydor.

There you go Charlie, and everyone else. http://www.websmileys.com/s

OK guys - help me out here!!

Is there a Mitchell school? Pickett? Tee?

Think of schools first, that have a name that could be someones surname................. Otis Bluecoat.........? maybe not!!

Nah!! But as its Christmas eve, and ive just started cooking the turkey, ill tell you..........Its Waygood ELLIS, and the song was "I like what im trying to do"................see, if yould have linked Panthers coach Mikes surname, which gave you the school...ELLIS, yould have gotten it!

Anyway. Merry Christmas everyone!

Oi!!! its my expert musical knowledge, nothing to do with age!

No its a DJ thing !! We used to put on a Rock n Roll night @ the V-Bar this top rock n roll DJ used to turn up with half a lorry load full of records , the problem was nobody had ever heard anything he would play !!

Bill Hailey or Elvis never got a looking " Oi play us summat we know "

If anyone worked @ Raleigh you will know him he was featured on TV back in the 80s .

No its a DJ thing !! We used to put on a Rock n Roll night @ the V-Bar this top rock n roll DJ used to turn up with half a lorry load full of records , the problem was nobody had ever heard anything he would play !!

Bill Hailey or Elvis never got a looking " Oi play us summat we know "

If anyone worked @ Raleigh you will know him he was featured on TV back in the 80s .

Very good mate of mine "Clive Hodges" The T.V. programe was 'England their England' made in 79 believe it or not (Take a close look in the background and Y.T. is clearly visible)

Ok boys, to get it back on topic with another soul trivia question, and an easier? one to boot,

Which songwriter/producer had a number one in 1975, in his own right, and went one to produce stuff for a former member of a motown group, the following year?

Name him, and the singer he produced too if you want/can.

• 2 weeks later...

Come on peeps! The tune was an instrumental, apart from 3 words every so often, the man concerned is no longer with us, but was a great producer/songwriter, who, amongst others did stuff with Gladys Knight and The Pips, in her "disco " days of the 70's..........