Soul Music Trivia Question

Van Mckoy

Hooray for Lyn!!! apart from the spelling of his surname! http://www.websmileys.com/s The number one song was........"The Hustle" the 3 words...."Do The Hustle"

The former motown guy he produced was David Ruffin, on a number of his mid 70's songs, inc " Walk away from love" and Gladys Knight was helped on stuff like "Baby dont change your mind " etc.

So.....another one.... Which former member of The Flamingos, ( who had a hit with "Boogaloo Party" 3 years after its first release) had both a club, and chart hit in 1976...could be a bit hard for some, so a clue, the surname is the same as a former home bred Nottingham Panther, and in fact, his dad still works for them, mainly behind the scenes....?

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always believed R Dean Taylor to be the first white male singer on Motown, as I'm certain it was widely publicised in the NME and Melody Maker at the time.

Having enjoyed Motown the Musical last night on a West End stage I ought to be able to answer your quiz questions Ian as the show was based around the life of  Motown founder, Berry Gordy. However the

Tommy Hunt, (The Panther being Simon Hunt).

I think the song you refer to was 'Loving on the Losing Side'. He also did a version of Roy Hamilton's 'Cracking Up' around that time too IIRC.

Tommy Hunt, (The Panther being Simon Hunt).

I think the song you refer to was 'Loving on the Losing Side'. He also did a version of Roy Hamilton's 'Cracking Up' around that time too IIRC.

Nice one Stu! I assume the clues helped?. And of course Simons dad is Pete, who sharpens skates like no one else! ..... ..OK.......Heres another one............In 1966 a song was released on Polydor, that was later re released on Tamla Motown, where, theoretically it should/could have been released in the first place.......? I suspect this is a really easy question that will get answered quickly.......................

Edwin Starr, Stop Her On Sight (sos) c/w. headline News was originally issued on Polydor?

edwinshos68151643356310.jpg

Also on Ric Tic

I'd like to get my hands on this copy?

starr3.gif

Mick gets it!! Im obviously making them too easy! Although it was the later re release that had "News" on the b side, the original had I have faith in you baby, on it

Right too about Ric Tic, but i reckon if id have put that, it would have been even easier for a lot of others, and i didnt want to confuse anyone by using the American release details.

So...................here we go again then.......................possibly a little hard...as the actress said to the bishop...............possibly not,.........

Name the link between a certain soul artist, (and his name) and an American comedian.........................cant really give any clues, otherwise its too easy to Google it!

Most of them= Richard Prior(Y) cos most of the have been there one time or another...........LOL......(I'm not sticking round for the applause)

Most of them= Richard Prior(Y) cos most of the have been there one time or another...........LOL......(I'm not sticking round for the applause)

Erm..................................no. A clue then, on one of the singers albums, is a track that has the same name as a brand of ladies hosiery......

Pretty Polly????

Ha ha ha ha, no! Ill give you a clue to the song title at least.......... it was "------ Lady "

If you get the title, that should tell you the artist, and possibly the comics name too.......

Silver Lady ....David Soul.........The comedian being.....'R'

Nah!...........i think ill give you the answer.the song on the album was Golden Lady, same as the brand of tights.hey! I only know cos i did a promo roadshow with them once! Done by the man named at the end of this........

the comic is Bill Cosby.......who did a song called "Little old man" which was based on Uptight....by...............Stevie Wonder!

Ok boys and girls, heres a simple one, around 1963, a British band covered what, (mainly thanks to them) became a bit of a classic song,( despite not being released as a single), that not only was a popular dance from a year or two before, but was covered as a single, by another popular group of the time. I hope you're following this!

Name the song, name the group who originally did it, name the group who covered it as an album track, and finally, name the group who released it as a single! Easy huh????

March of the mods Comes to mind or is that later?

Beefy, afaik, wasnt it only Joe(dead) Loss who did that one? Dont forget the soul connection too, so that rules out that tune.

At the time i mention, yould have found the cover version of the song on single in the chart, the album track played lots on the radio, and most people totally unaware of the original version, and ditto for the band who sang it too.

Twist and Shout EP the Beatles

Twist and Shout Brian Poole and the Tremeloes

As Meatloaf once sung "2 out of 3 aint bad"!

Well done Lynn!......................As for the original version.it was The Isley Brothers

Does someone else want to set a question? Just remember, there has to be a soul connection!

No one...? OK, ill do another one then...........and its easier. i promise! A while ago, a record producer "found" a 60's northern track, that no one else had picked up on, (if you are not aware of the "Northern Scene" this is what happens) As it was, it wasnt an old track at all, but 4 guys had made it to sound like an "old" soul track.

The lead vocalist went on to become famous, (although where he is, and what hes doing now, i dont know!) winning a talent show a while back..................im saying no more......Name him!

No one...? OK, ill do another one then...........and its easier. i promise! A while ago, a record producer "found" a 60's northern track, that no one else had picked up on, (if you are not aware of the "Northern Scene" this is what happens) As it was, it wasnt an old track at all, but 4 guys had made it to sound like an "old" soul track.

The lead vocalist went on to become famous, (although where he is, and what hes doing now, i dont know!) winning a talent show a while back..................im saying no more......Name him!

Come on peeps, this is actually dead easy......another clue though.........X factor winner!