Soul Music Trivia Question

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always believed R Dean Taylor to be the first white male singer on Motown, as I'm certain it was widely publicised in the NME and Melody Maker at the time.

Having enjoyed Motown the Musical last night on a West End stage I ought to be able to answer your quiz questions Ian as the show was based around the life of  Motown founder, Berry Gordy. However the

OK Stu, and thanks for the compliment!

Right then team.........in 1965, a songwriter/producer cut a record, he hated his voice on it, and asked the boss man not to release it, bossman granted his wishes, and it didnt get released....then, can you name the singer and the song?

Sorry i cant give you any more clues yet!

I'll have a stab at this one. It's the obvious answer but is it Frank Wilson and Do I Love you (Indeed I Do)?

I know Wilson had 250 demo copies released before asking them to be scrapped. As every Northern fan knows, two copies survived (one in the possession of your pal, Kev Roberts at one time).

At least if this is incorrect it gave the opportunity to talk about one of my very favourite tunes of all time. ;-)

I'll have a stab at this one. It's the obvious answer but is it Frank Wilson and Do I Love you (Indeed I Do)?

I know Wilson had 250 demo copies released before asking them to be scrapped. As every Northern fan knows, two copies survived (one in the possession of your pal, Kev Roberts at one time).

At least if this is incorrect it gave the opportunity to talk about one of my very favourite tunes of all time. ;-)

Stu done got it again! How did you know about Kev owning a copy?................Being the suspicious sort, thats the sort of info t'internet searching would throw up! smile2

I think some harder questions need to be set!

Heres one that should baffle even Stu!..............................Which soul singer spilt his can of coke all over the mixing desk as i interviewed him on Radio Trent? Ha ha ha .....try that one Stu old chum! !laughing!

Stu done got it again! How did you know about Kev owning a copy?................Being the suspicious sort, thats the sort of info t'internet searching would throw up! smile2

I think some harder questions need to be set!

I have a few mates from Wigan days, Craig. One of those guys used to talk about Kev owning it and carrying it around in a special case he had for it. I also read it in a book somewhere too I think. I reckon the story of Frank Wilson and that record is legendary - one that most people who know or have read anything about Northern Soul will be aware of. It IS all over the Internet but that's not where I originally know about it from.

PS Your questions ARE very hard! You just hit me on a good one there...

Heres one that should baffle even Stu!..............................Which soul singer spilt his can of coke all over the mixing desk as i interviewed him on Radio Trent? Ha ha ha .....try that one Stu old chum! !laughing!

Edwin Starr! lol.

Edwin Starr! lol.

Sorry Stu, you are wrong (for once!!) but a very good , logical guess, fact is i only ever met Edwin in '66 at The Dungeon Club.

I apologise for being suspicious, but the way you went straight to the correct answer, brilliant!

OK, a clue, his initials are included in a certain brand of car...............the same brand i drove for 15 odd years! http://www.websmileys.com/s

And why is the smiley at the end of the last sentence, not the one i selected?......i chose the looking over the spectacles one!

Okay, I'm focusing on his initial being within a car marque that is also made up of initials...

And I'm thinking BMW...

or TVR maybe?

Am I on the Right Track (as Billy Butler would say)?

Okay, I'm focusing on his initial being within a car marque that is also made up of initials...

And I'm thinking BMW...

or TVR maybe?

Am I on the Right Track (as Billy Butler would say)?

Yes you are! Not saying any more though........

They didn't have a hit with 'groove jet' did they ie Spiller.....................LOL.......................Taxi for a Mr Beefsteak

Help! I need reinforcements!

Well I knew it was going to be a BMW because a TVR wouldn't last 15 years! :-)

I feel as though I'm getting further away but is is Bill Medley of The Righteous Brothers?

I can't imagine anything getting that close to Barry White. ;-)

Come on Stu!..Im going to have to withdraw that "Respekk" gong I awarded you!!!!

Thing is, if I give one more clue re that, the answer will be as plain as the nose on your face.

OK, heres a clue...........hes a member of a family in which others have had chart success, not a lot, but some.......???????