Soul Music Trivia Question

I might have known smart arse Stu would get it straight away!

The gig I mention Geno being on the same bill as Alan Bown was the Marquee in 66, with a certain Mr Hendrix there too.

Anyway, another question before I go and do my long 2 1/2 hour gig..... A certain glam rock artist used an unknown session singer on backing vocals on one of his songs, name 'em both...and the song?

Nah, I've always been a big Geno and The Ram Jam Band fan. Like Ian says, we actually talked about it the other day too. :-)

Incidentally he's appearing on a shared bill at Newark with Eddie Floyd next month some time.

I'll run with the Marc Bolan theme and offer his girlfriend Gloria Jones? Or maybe P P Arnold?

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always believed R Dean Taylor to be the first white male singer on Motown, as I'm certain it was widely publicised in the NME and Melody Maker at the time.

Having enjoyed Motown the Musical last night on a West End stage I ought to be able to answer your quiz questions Ian as the show was based around the life of  Motown founder, Berry Gordy. However the

Not right yet boys! And for a change Stu didnt get it right at first go! Theres a clue there somewhere.........

I dont believe this, as i type this Kev Roberts has just played a track by the guy im talking about, saying about how he was with other bands before finding fame!!!

Are you still a broadcaster too Craig?

I dont want this to sound as if im only in the business for the money, but im afraid that since my stint on Century FM , and a few other stations at the same time, mainly in the Lincs group, most stations will only pay a good deal less than thay used to in the period i mention, basically meaning I take a loss in earnings of 35 to 45% add to that, or rather deduct from that, the increase in everything connected to using a car, the time of getting to and from a station, usually 50 miles away, and, hour for hour, it equals minimum wage, and that aint what rock and roll is supposed to be!!!

So, until radio stations offer a decent wage again, I dont do it!

Just trying to think of glam rockers (or at least from that era)

David Bowie

Alvin Stardust

Roxy Music

Sweet

Mud

Gary Glitter

The man concerned is in your group Stu! Dont forget the clue i left in my last but one post!

Thinking about it, didn't David Bowie work as a session singer? (I know Elton John did , a lot of those old 'Top of the pops ' albums on Ronco featured Elton's dulcet tones.)

Thinking about it, didn't David Bowie work as a session singer? (I know Elton John did , a lot of those old 'Top of the pops ' albums on Ronco featured Elton's dulcet tones.)

Yes, I believe they did, but that does not answer the question, does it? We're looking for a soul singer doing the backing for a glam geezer.

Change your thinking! Theres a clue there somewhere. A couple in fact..........

Time to throw in some more clues that could open it all up for you'

Think about a stammer, that, if you get it gives you another clue, which shoild lead you to the soul singers name....and before it, the glam guy!

Your questions are good Craig but I think your clues take me further away! :-)

Stammer? A singer that stammered for instance?

I can only think of that daft Gareth Gates or Roger Daltrey stammering on My Generation by The Who.

It's a long shot and I know it's not right as David Bowie wouldn't fit yours or my conception of a soul singer. He did however have his self-proclaimed 'plastic soul' period at the time of Young Americans and his 'Thin White Duke' phase. He also backed glam-rockers Mott the Hoople on All the Young Dudes.

Ah, well...I tried!

Stu, im saying nothing more than read my original question, as for my clues taking you further away.......youre wrong, and when you see the answer9(s) you will see why!

Stammer wise, theres another sng you are forgetting!

soul is not really my kind of music at all but i can listen to Luther Vandross all day. He had a voice i never got fed up of listening to. Listen to "Dance with my father again" and not get sentimental.

See boys, all the clues added up.....I kept mentionong change(s) the Bowie song, and the name of the band that Luther fronted in the early 80's.

The song that Luther did the backing vocals for Bowie hasnt been mentioned though, it was Young Americans.

The song that Luther did the backing vocals for Bowie hasnt been mentioned though, it was Young Americans.

It has...but I was still nowhere near really!

"It's a long shot and I know it's not right as David Bowie wouldn't fit yours or my conception of a soul singer. He did however have his self-proclaimed 'plastic soul' period at the time of Young Americans and his 'Thin White Duke' phase. He also backed glam-rockers Mott the Hoople on All the Young Dudes."

I saw Luther Vandross a couple of times in the late 80's early 90's - great voice.

In fact I just remembered that Craig tried to help me sell a spare ticket I had for a Luther Vandross concert at Birmingham NEC by announcing it for me on Radio Trent. This would have been 1990 I think. I used to work collecting glasses in the Soldiers & Sailors in Long Eaton and I had an "Alexander O Neal" t shirt on one night and you saw it and spoke to me. I was only about 16 and a real geeky lad. Anyway, we chatted a few times about music and I mentioned the spare ticket and you said you try and help me flog it. I had no takers and ended up taking my Mum with me...but thanks for trying!! I still have a recording somewhere of you making the announcement!

Blimey!`Small world eh!

Dunno if you remember, but at that time I lived opposite the S and S, 132 to be exact, and it must have been shortly after i introduced Alex on stage at the Royal Concert Hall.

Blimey!`Small world eh!

Dunno if you remember, but at that time I lived opposite the S and S, 132 to be exact, and it must have been shortly after i introduced Alex on stage at the Royal Concert Hall.

That's right. I was at that concert and remember that you had introduced him. I also have an interview you did with Alex on tape somewhere in my collection.

I lived at 82 Tamworth Road and worked at the S&S for many years, graduated from glass collector to barman eventually!

Saw you had mentioned Reg Enderby in one thread too and used to know him a little bit. He was a S&S regular and The Sounds Of The Blues Brothers used to play in there quite regularly. Then they got a bit too big and I don't think the club could afford to book them anymore. It was always packed when they played though.