Soul Music Trivia Question

Can't find a fan zone for her but I found 'her 'on 'my space' but unfortunately there are no details as to the songs origins

She is playing the Bodega in Nott'm on March 7th (Sold out) Where is the Bodega now ?Same place as ever? cos that don't seem big enough to be a pop venue

I have fell in love with this track, it's the first time I have heard it today, I don't know if it's the video for the memories, or the fact that it sounds like "The Funky Green Dogs" again for the memories

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always believed R Dean Taylor to be the first white male singer on Motown, as I'm certain it was widely publicised in the NME and Melody Maker at the time.

Having enjoyed Motown the Musical last night on a West End stage I ought to be able to answer your quiz questions Ian as the show was based around the life of  Motown founder, Berry Gordy. However the

Can't find a fan zone for her but I found 'her 'on 'my space' but unfortunately there are no details as to the songs origins

She is playing the Bodega in Nott'm on March 7th (Sold out) Where is the Bodega now ?Same place as ever? cos that don't seem big enough to be a pop venue

I have fell in love with this track, it's the first time I have heard it today, I don't know if it's the video for the memories, or the fact that it sounds like "The Funky Green Dogs" again for the memories

Sounds a lot like " I love you, my Susie Q" to me......... And I agree about the size of The Bodega, Im willing to bet the gig was booked a long time before the song hit number one!

No one close at all yet, despite a couple of what i thought good clues............ Time for some more then...........I reckon anyone who got soul in their heart should be cooking with gas by now.............and dont forget the Detroit connection..................Hmm.maybe a tad cryptic, but clues nontheless!

No takers?.....Ok.............Its dragging on a bit, so, reveal all time methinks...........

Cooking with gas.......... Cook becomes Cooke...........add Sam to that.....take one of his songs.............The Detroit connection then.............The Detroit Spinners also covered a song of Mr Cookes, as did our "hidden" singer.......That song was Cupid

Anyone thats got soul.. another clue to point you towards........................."You got soul " That was another song by him................and the singer is........................................................Johnny Nash, who had recorded a "Northern" track , and touched on country before he "Reggaefied" his produce.

No takers?.....Ok.............Its dragging on a bit, so, reveal all time methinks...........

Cooking with gas.......... Cook becomes Cooke...........add Sam to that.....take one of his songs.............The Detroit connection then.............The Detroit Spinners also covered a song of Mr Cookes, as did our "hidden" singer.......That song was Cupid

Anyone thats got soul.. another clue to point you towards........................."You got soul " That was another song by him................and the singer is........................................................Johnny Nash, who had recorded a "Northern" track , and touched on country before he "Reggaefied" his produce.

Reminds me a bit of the clues on "3-2-1"....and we all ended up with Dusty Bin!

:laugh:

So whats the answer then ? !laughing!

New question then, possibly simpler tp fathom............ Name the person, and if poss his "Northern" outing from these clues, born into a Canadian family, although there is another country of one of his parents birth I wont disclose yet, not normally associated with soul at all, let alone Northern. Had hits in the 50's 60's and 70's, and at least one of his songs has been covered by a few people.............enough for now.

Paul Anka?

I knew putting Canadian in there was too big a giveaway!! I may as well mention the "Northern" track he did then too, it was " I cant help loving you"

OK, another one then.....................Who was told that if he didnt have a hit with his next release, back in '66, that he would be out the door? He did though, so name it too. No flippin clues yet!

I knew putting Canadian in there was too big a giveaway!! I may as well mention the "Northern" track he did then too, it was " I cant help loving you"

OK, another one then.....................Who was told that if he didnt have a hit with his next release, back in '66, that he would be out the door? He did though, so name it too. No flippin clues yet!

The sealer was the 'parent's birth' bit, Craig. I think Paul Anka is of Lebanese extraction?

This one might take a bit longer!

Ok, more clues......he was born in Missisippi, (is that spelt plopery?) and released his first song in the early 60's.....

I think I may have it ... It would be a temptation to name his brother, but that would leave me broken hearted and then what would become of me? ;-)

I thought that stating that river might be a dead giveaway, well done Red, the clue of Dallas was Mr Ewing, not Bobby, but JR.......Jimmy Ruffin.

Mr Gordy had warned him that unless his next song was a hit, he was out of Motown, thankfully, he had a hit with "what becomes of the broken hearted"

Clever Beefy!

Another one then...possibly harder ?

Our American had his biggest hit in the late 60's citing Billy Eckstiein and Sarah Vaughan as his major influences,????????

Clever Beefy!

Another one then...possibly harder ?

Our American had his biggest hit in the late 60's citing Billy Eckstiein and Sarah Vaughan as his major influences,????????

Is it a guy with a very deep voice?

I hadn't realised we had turned a page and I that it had been answered!!

I saw 'Clever Beefy' and thought I had guessed a right answer for once.