Soul Music Trivia Question

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always believed R Dean Taylor to be the first white male singer on Motown, as I'm certain it was widely publicised in the NME and Melody Maker at the time.

Having enjoyed Motown the Musical last night on a West End stage I ought to be able to answer your quiz questions Ian as the show was based around the life of  Motown founder, Berry Gordy. However the

sorry boys, no to those replies, perhaps this will make it a little easier, his initials, or at least 2 of them are the same as the aforementioned series. Oh its nowhere near as old as those mentioned previously.

Would the TV series be 'The OC' ?

Thats for you to decide and to take a guess. And Beefy, is that your answer? cos no one has actually done that yet........ give a full answer that is......

You edited your first responce you little tinker

The glory goes to Rchappo

You edited your first responce you little tinker

The glory goes to Rchappo

Actually, Mr Chappo only asked if it would be The O C, he didnt put anything about OC Smith.

decide between yourself who got it.

!congrats!

• 1 year later...
And 'Hole in the wall' is by...........................?

The Packers - original UK release on Pye International, but later reissued on Dave Godin's Soul City label. There was also another excellent version by George Stone that was released in the UK on Stateside.

The first white act to have a Motown release were Nick & The Jaguars with "Ich-I-Bon No 1/Cool and crazy" (Tamla 5501 - August 1959). The first white female singer to be signed was Debbie Dean, whose first release was on Motown 1007 in February 1961, an answer record to The Miracles' "Shop Around" called "Don't Let Him Shop Around". The B side was "A New Girl". The first white male singer to have a Motown release was Mickey Woods with the dire "Poor Sam Jones/They Rode Through The Valley" on Tamla 54039 in March 1961.

• 4 weeks later...

Icarus, interesting stuff I must admit I was totally unaware of the Jaguars band!

Re the issue number, Barrat Strong's "Money" was released also in August 59, and the label number was T 54027, which is obviously 12 releases before the Mickey Woods single, but the niumber for the Nick and the Jaguars seems to not correspond with these two, any ideas why? (ie, 4 digits, not 5)

When was that pic taken Nick??

He's gone a bit grey !! Nice to see him again after all these years.

Cracking atmospheric shot by the way.

• 2 months later...

Icarus, interesting stuff I must admit I was totally unaware of the Jaguars band!

Re the issue number, Barrat Strong's "Money" was released also in August 59, and the label number was T 54027, which is obviously 12 releases before the Mickey Woods single, but the niumber for the Nick and the Jaguars seems to not correspond with these two, any ideas why? (ie, 4 digits, not 5)

Hi, Craig -

Apologies for taking so long to reply. The Nick & The Jaguars single on Motown 5501 is a real oddity. They were an instrumental group from Pontiac, Michigan, and were supposedly introduced to Berry Gordy by Gus Ferro, father of the band's drummer, Nick Ferro. For some reason Berry Gordy decided to issue it in a separate numbering system (hence 5501). The band issued another single under the name of The Biscaynes on a label called Ridge. Interestingly, the issue number was Ridge 6601, which has led some to believe that Ridge was also owned by Gordy, though beyond the numbering coincidence there's no evidence of that.

• 8 years later...

I always believed R Dean Taylor to be the first white male singer on Motown, as I'm certain it was widely publicised in the NME and Melody Maker at the time.

• Upvote 1

Written by Smokey Robinson, but first recorded by the Miracles in 1960. Smokey was a member at that time , and it was released on the Tamla label.

Having enjoyed Motown the Musical last night on a West End stage I ought to be able to answer your quiz questions Ian as the show was based around the life of  Motown founder, Berry Gordy. However the show was so fast-moving I hardly remember any of the detail !! Better get googling 

• Like 1