I used to know a Maurice Cooper, but everybody called him 'Snowy'.

Didn't have blonde hair either.    B.

Think the last few posts should be in the ''Nicknames'' thread...we got one ?

Used to feel sorry for some kids at school....with 'Nicknames ' like...

Ginger nut...

Fatty....

Goggles...

Had one lad in my year with no 'Toes'' and believe it or not was a great footballer.......funny thing was his Boots and Shoes all curled up where his toes should have been...and he had the Nickname ''Curly''............

I wonder why he didn’t get a smaller sized boot?  Or perhaps

he wouldn’t have had the same stability with a smaller size?

A friend of ours down in Bucks has always been called ‘Smelly’.  No connection to his surname but he was a fishmonger, and now a very well-regarded butcher.  He’s a Nottingham lad, went to Henry Mellish, then Brackenhurst before moving to Buckinghamshire to go into farming initially.  

When I was about 8 I started getting called bisley spiders legs at school. I think there was a character on a TV comedy show with this name and my skinny legs earned me the title. Quite soon though it got shortened to bisley then plain Biz. The name stuck and people I’ve known from my younger days including most of my wife’s family still call me Biz. By coincidence in later life I was nicknamed ‘spider’ at work due to my climbing ability. Plenty of ex work colleagues don’t know my proper name. 

The bullies were the ones to give you a cruel nickname werent they , a geeky lad with glasses at school got called joe 90, and they'd often poke fun at my surname sheridan , they would call me shekribat for some reason , 

Another bully was aptly named in Timothy large , a big fat bellied kid would always track me down for a spot of bullying !

The name of the show was, 'The Army game.'  One character had bad feet.  His name was Bisley,  ( real name Alfie Bass)  and was known in the show as. 'Excused boots Bisley'.  Late 50s early 60s shown on Itv

• Upvote 1

Many had nicknames at school but the one that I always remember was  "Yane" .

He was a big lad and enjoyed his sweets .

If you asked ...."give us a tuffy" his reply was "Y'ane havin' one" !

Oddly enough, my nickname from a 14 year old at school until I was about 19 was 'Chas'. It started as Chatsworth then shortened to Chas. When I started going in the White Horse, Ilkeston road, even the landlord called me Charles, as he thought that were my name.   B.

• 4 months later...

As a young boy I wore very thick glasses. An older, bigger boy started to bully me and called me Tokio Joe after a Japanese general during the war.

Anyway, after nearly killing him with a cricket stump the abuse stopped. Never had any more bullying from others after that.

I was then nicknamed Apple because my name in Nottingham slang was Coggin.

• Like 1