Zhivago's night club Nottingham

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to most of the Nottingham clubs - but I always preferred Huchnall Welfare! Susyshoes - didn't you find that the Welly had such a great buzz? If you were there when Heatwave played then maybe

Ooo I'd love to see the pictures but the link is taking me to something called skydrive and I have to log in. Is there anywhere else I can see the photos. GREAT memories for me!!!

As deep as this. The bottom of the Clock Tower is in the centre, and Milton Street / Trinity Square on the right.

Nice pic, but absolute sacrilege and unadulterated vandalism in the extreme.

It was Cranky,panto stars sometimes visited.

When I look at Cliffs photograph..I remember playing on the turntable and bombing down that ramp in my trolley, plastered with 'savings bug' stickers from Northern Rock..managed to lift a Nottm Vic sign..still has pride of place above the HiFi.

Very sad,looking at that pic..

• 4 weeks later...

So it was to the left of the clock tower? I really thought it was further down Milton street. Not sure where I got that from . Never even noticed that ramp next to Irish pub.

I'd still like to know what's down there now!

• 1 month later...

I recall very well Tiffanys. Bilborough College had some nights in that place*. It was indeed down some steps off to the right of the entrance. It was surprisingly cavernous.

*If anyone remembers the "In the Navy" pop mime it was absolutely nothing to do with me. I deny it completely. It was not me in the kilt.

I went to most of the Nottingham clubs - but I always preferred Huchnall Welfare!

Susyshoes - didn't you find that the Welly had such a great buzz?

If you were there when Heatwave played then maybe you remember Katie Kookaburra (she used this surname as a joke - though some of the guys didn't get it).

I didn't realise at the time how significant this person would turn out to be - maybe a future post for that.

Katie was there with two friends - all three were D.D.G. and were getting male attention all night.

I think most of the Hucknall girls were a bit teed-off.

If I remember correctly a guy (Tony Spinks I think) came over to me raving about 'three girls not from Hucknall'.

A daft little memory - but it always makes me smile.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hi sallyshoes I loved the welfare , spent many a Wednesday and Friday night there. What's DDG? Lol and I don't remember katie kookaburra , not doing very well am I . Still trying to work out who you are as we must have both been at holgate grammar at the same time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...

10p a pint on Monday's rock night, but you had to buy twelve in a tray, went up to 50p very soon after, slightly less watered.

Only two bands I can recall are Hanoi Rocks and the dreadful Spider..think these my have been Tuesday.

Think I have partial recordings of their sets to this day.

Looking back I should have kept everything but TDK 90s were 79p at Selectascratch..and the cheapest

What was at street level prior to Vision Express, the entrance to the club was by a door to the right, i'm guessing a shop? I have no recollection...

4 hours ago, HSR said:

What was at street level prior to Vision Express, the entrance to the club was by a door to the right, i'm guessing a shop? I have no recollection...

I don't think there was anything in particular. It was a boring, solid concrete wall around the outside of the building, and the nightclub was behind that wall.

In fact if you look at the 3rd photo down in this link - from the mid -70s - there doesn't seem to be anything in that location. Looks like the nightclub was added later.

https://westbridgfordwire.com/pictures-victoria-centre-team-unearths-50-years-of-memories/

21 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

The only nightclub I ever went to in Nottingham was the Parkside on Station St. As I remember it was rather upmarket. I’ve been to lots of nightclubs in Paris though! :biggrin:

What was it like? I've heard so many stories over the years!