Zhivago's night club Nottingham

Hi to all you 80's dancers and boozers.

Anyone who is interested is very welcome to visit and join my new MSN site dedicated to Zhivago's nightclub (under victoria centre) I have posted some pictures of the inside of the club which were kindly given to me by my freind DJ WOODY who used to do the funk/soul room between 1987 - 1989.

Zhivago's sadly closed in 1989 but the memories will last with me forever. I had many a drunken night in there. My site is still in its infancy so if anyone has any pictures they would like to put on then feel free.

The site is also about 80's pub culture so any memories or pics are welcome. Just click on th link below.

Zhivago's

Hope you enjoy,

Dylan from Carlton

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to most of the Nottingham clubs - but I always preferred Huchnall Welfare! Susyshoes - didn't you find that the Welly had such a great buzz? If you were there when Heatwave played then maybe

Ooo I'd love to see the pictures but the link is taking me to something called skydrive and I have to log in. Is there anywhere else I can see the photos. GREAT memories for me!!!

As deep as this. The bottom of the Clock Tower is in the centre, and Milton Street / Trinity Square on the right.

I remember the place and only went there a couple of times - not sure if was called Zhivago's then; I actually went to see a couple of bands there. One was definitely Sad Cafe and the other might have been Alex Harvey but I'm not sure on that last one.

Never went to it in disco mode! :smile:

Before that it was named Tiffany's and prior to that it's first name when it opened was Intercon. It was under the first apparition that many of the bands there I think. I recall a three-piece Thin Lizzy appearing there and also Gary Glitter amongst others.

Before that it was named Tiffany's and prior to that it's first name when it opened was Intercon. It was under the first apparition that many of the bands there I think. I recall a three-piece Thin Lizzy appearing there and also Gary Glitter amongst others.

Think that must have been where I saw John Cooper Clarke during the promotion of his "Disguise in Love" (spelling) album - what an act cool.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z80XDK1QMX4

I saw Chairman of the Board there - and they had a fantastic barmaid called Anne - wherever she is God bless her!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I worked behind the bar in Zhivago's 1984-6.

"Mr Veazey to Room 2" announced over the pa system was the code for a fight in room 2.

Mr John Veazey was the manager, Mr Broughton (?) the asst manager.

The only other names I remember are 2 bouncers - Chip and John.

Every night the DJ played Billy Idol's White Wedding.

We worked until about 2:30am and then went home in a taxi.

Low pay but all my colleagues were cheerful, hard working and kind.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I worked behind the bar in Zhivago's 1984-6.

"Mr Veazey to Room 2" announced over the pa system was the code for a fight in room 2.

Mr John Veazey was the manager, Mr Broughton (?) the asst manager.

The only other names I remember are 2 bouncers - Chip and John.

Every night the DJ played Billy Idol's White Wedding.

We worked until about 2:30am and then went home in a taxi.

Low pay but all my colleagues were cheerful, hard working and kind.

I remember Chip (Gordon) as it was me that go him the job there he used to come to the club after finishing at the King John. I worked there as a Doorman at night and as GA during the day. and by the way yes Mr John Veazey was manager but if there was trouble the name used was Mr Edwards

Me and my girlfriend at the time came here on fri n sat nights between 84 -87. Always good nights and the staff were excellent. I remember the black bouncer,lovely guy.

his name was John not to be confused with Big John (one of afew Head Doormen we had in the 80's) or John Greensmith (Doorman)

• 7 months later...

I vaguely remember this nightclub in Vic Centre but what's there now? I remember the entrance being on Milton street but it was down lots of steps so is there something in its place or is it just used as storage ? I'm thinking Gap is somewhere around there now

This picture is a few months out of date because all the building work has now finished. The place which was Zhivagos has gone; there is a new escalator entrance into Vic Centre on the side of the clock tower, and the whole area is full of restaurants and diners.

https://goo.gl/maps/6hEFKF6S4zP2

I vaguely remember this nightclub in Vic Centre but what's there now? I remember the entrance being on Milton street but it was down lots of steps so is there something in its place or is it just used as storage ?

This is what I've always been curious about - and where it would be accessed from.

I know exactly where the doors were mate, having gone there a few times when it was Tiffany's. I also remember a lot of steps down to the place.

The queues to the door were memorable, salvage a crumpled up tie from your jacket pocket to put on and try and bag off with a girl in the line up so that the bouncers would let you in!

What I'm intrigued by is what's under there now and how you get to it. :)