The Last Nottingham Trolley Bus

12 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Barrie, if you wear at Bilborough in the mid to late 60s, you must have known my Dad, Clive Johnson.

Hi D.B, now your making me feel old ! Might know him if I saw him. I remember a few names from that era, pat & bob thorpe Joe Handley, etc. If memory serves me right, deepdene would be on the 16 route,( beechdale rd. to the city). Regards, Barrie.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another view of the last trolley bus in its last days.  On Parliament Street next to the Old Dog & Partridge, which is still there largely unchanged - as well as the Baptist Church further along.

Everybody was right.   Looking in old telephone directories, D & A Stationers were at 22 Lower Parliament St.   And that was between the garage and the church, before Sai

As 30th June marks the 50th anniversary of the last trolleybus service in Nottingham, perhaps NCT could repaint one of the Yellow Line double deckers into the green and cream livery used by the trolle

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I have to admit, your face looks familiar, Beekay. If you worked on the Alfreton Road route, into town, then I've probably travelled on your bus many times. My family lived on Bobbers Mill Road. Also the route to Beechdale Road in Bilborough where we visited relatives.

The route you are referring to would be the no.13, which ran from the city via alfreton road, over bobbers mill, up aspley lane, left on western boulevard then right on beechdale road and finished up on glaisdale drive. This route could be mixed with the 56, & 60. Cor! Its all coming back to me. This Nottstalgia is addictive. Take care Jill, Barrie.x

• Like 1

We could catch the 62, 32 74 and 16 into the city from the bottom of Bobbers Mill Road. I think the 7 also went that way. Virtually everything that ran past the bottom of our road went into the city because it was so close.

You certainly look familiar. I would have been a child during your years working for NCT but my memories of those years are sharper than recent ones!  And...you're right...NS is highly addictive!

9 minutes ago, denshaw said:

I started at NCT in 1979, I'll bet we know a few ex drivers.

By that year I had started at Coal board medical services x-ray dept. on cinderhill road, bulwell. Was there till 1987, when I moved to east Sussex to take up employment. B.

2 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

We could catch the 62, 32 74 and 16 into the city from the bottom of Bobbers Mill Road. I think the 7 also went that way. You certainly look familiar. I would have been a child during your years working for NCT but my memories of those years are sharper than recent ones!  And...you're right...NS is highly addictive!

Another one making me feel old ! All the buses you mention, especially open end ones would display 'city' when going into town. The 7 would be coming from bulwell via cinderhill road. B.

• Like 1

I can't remember exactly when NCT went one man operational and got rid of conductors but I do remember a lady conductress who was a real live wire and never stopped talking. She wasn't a young woman, could have been in her 40s, perhaps. I was only a child and she always spoke to me. Very friendly lady. Often wondered what became of her.

I'm not much into buses, but I've often thought it was unfair to the drivers to make them responsible for fare collection as well.  It would seem to me that with today's busy roads they need their wits about them all the time without being bothered by fare collection.

I realize that Phil, but it still seems like an extra distraction for them.  Especially if they get an obnoxious passenger.

I guess the time to worry will be when the captain of an airliner is standing at the cockpit door collecting fares as folks get on.  I'm surprised some wise guy hasn't tried it already.  :biggrin:

The last time I flew Al Italia, admittedly a few years ago, the captain came out of the cockpit, wearing his Ray Bans, and lit up a cigarette in the main cabin. I do realise that the Italians do things in a cavalier way and maybe the first officer was sitting in the right hand seat ready to take over from the autopilot should it have been necessary. I never flew with that outfit again!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

They only collect the fares when the bus is stopped.:biggrin:

Fares? Where I live nobody pays fares, only me. On the rare occasion I've used the local village bus, I've had to tell the driver how much it was.

• Like 2

We have an hourly bus from our village to Ely.  It does a circular route - anti-clockwise in the mornings and clockwise in the afternoon - and calls in at 3 other villages on the way.   The bus is called the Zipper and it does zip along quite quickly as we are in a rural area.  It's almost as quick as going in a car.  There are always threats that the service may cease, because although it is well used, most of the passengers use bus passes.   We all know the two drivers and they know us, too... it's nice

• Like 1
8 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I guess the time to worry will be when the captain of an airliner is standing at the cockpit door collecting fares as folks get on.  I'm surprised some wise guy hasn't tried it already.  

Didn't Freddie Laker do that with his Skytrain and DC10's?

Image result for freddie laker skytrain

• Like 1

That photo brought back a memory.  Between the pub and the church there used to be a little stationary store.  I think it may have been D & A Stationers or some such name.  We did some electrical work there.  I asked one of the gals there out on a date. First date I ever had.   She suggested the Ice rink.  I went but I couldn't skate.  That didn't last long.  :biggrin:

It was Sainsburys at one time. Can't remember whether that was before or after Sainsburys was in the Victoria Centre.  Prior to being Sainsburys, it housed another supermarket. Can't remember whether it was Tesco or Safeway. It had an automatic door which was unusual in those days.  In more recent years it was Wilkinsons. Don't know what it is now.

17 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Barrie, the 22 used to have its terminus at the bottom of Deepdene Way

Your right DB. I stand corrected. I think I mixed it up with denewood. The 22 used to run out of bulwell depot, along no.7. I'm still new at all this "memory lane stuff", still brushing the cobwebs off my memory shelves. There's some much information on all the different topics that I'm getting bogged down with facts and figures. Apologies for my mistake. B.

• Like 1