The most famous group you never heard of?

They were the session musicians behind about 99% of all Motown hit records!

They didn't have a name collectively until fairly recently, and that name now eludes me..

That white guy on the left with the guitar used to sit between two black musicians, the three of them were nicknamed "The Oriols" after the choccie sandwich biccie.

The Funk Brothers.

Well Done

I posted this some time ago, and never got a reply.

The post seems to have dissapeared now.

The never got the recognition they deserved, and are featured in the movie

hip-oCD.jpg

In 1959, Berry Gordy gathered the best musicians from Detroit's thriving jazz and blues scene to begin cutting songs for his new record company. Over a fourteen year period they were the heartbeat on "My Girl," "Bernadette," I Was Made to Love Her," and every other hit from Motown's Detroit era.

By the end of their phenomenal run, this unheralded group of musicians had played on more number ones hits than the Beach Boys, the Rolling Stones, Elvis and the Beatles combined - which makes them the greatest hit machine in the history of popular music. They called themselves the Funk Brothers.

Forty-one years after they played their first note an a Motown record and three decades since they were all together, the Funk Brothers reunited back in Detroit to play their music and tell their unforgettable story in STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF MOTOWN.

With the tumultuous sixties as a backdrop, Motown's unsung heroes take the viewer on a compelling journey in time as they trace the evolution of The Motown Sound" from its origins in Detroit to its demise in Los Angeles during the seventies. Through the eyes of the riveting characters who ruled Hitsville's studio by day and the club scene of Detroit by night, we enter a world of unparalleled soul and emotion as the Funk Brothers revisit the sites of their musical roots, triumphs, and eventual heartbreak.

For more than four decades, from the dance floors of the world, to the Detroit riots of 1967, to the war in Vietnam, the music the Funk Brothers created has played a major role in the cultural fabric of all of our lives. STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF MOTOWN finally puts some faces on that music and introduces these heroic musical figures to the world.

http://www.standingintheshadowsofmotown.com

Sadly, a couple of musicians couldn't make it to the get together, they passed on some years back.

I watched the get together on TV, it was a great show, pieced together with a narrative of the motown story.

That was a time when blacks and whites didn't mix, yet there were some great white musicians within that group, all life long friends to this day. Proves we can all live together in peace.

R Dean Taylor, was White.

6464329.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_Dean_Taylor

They had a white female artist as well, name escapes me.

Chris Clarke (maybe without an "e", she also covered Frank Wilsons Do i love you, and Smokies From head to toe, plus Loves gone bad.

I wish id seen this posting about The Funk Brothers yesterday, and i could have showed off spouting all about them! smile2

Im wondering if The Oriols name was gleaned from Uriel Jones, one of the 2 drummers the Funks had in the line up? it sure sounds similar!

Many Funk Brothers songs that were released on Motown were credited to other band names, for instance, Earl Van Dyke and the Soul Brothers, or The Motown Brass, thus not giving The Funks the recognition they deserved, Its A Shame! (blatant pun!)

I could write about this for ages, but my lengthy gig calls smile2

No Craig, the Oriols came from the biscuit thats been marketed this side of the pond for decades, it's almost an institution, two chockie biccies with a white cream filler. hence two black fellers with a white guitarist between them in the studio.

Put all you know about the Funk brothers here!!

Chris Clarke is the girl I was thinking of.

clark_chris_chrisclar_101b.jpg

http://www.dustygroove.com/

Go here for the sounds of the Funk Bros & Chris Clark

<a href='http://www.sixtiesmotown.co.uk/motownaudio.html' target='_blank'>http://www.sixtiesmotown.co.uk/motownaudio.html </a>

I told you who it was 2 hours before you remembered thumbsup and Ayup, i honestly dont know why folk rave on about oriols, ive had lots of better biccies!.....also, i didnt really think their name had come from Uriels 1st name....Honest! ;) its just so similar sounding isnt it.

I have in my collection, both the Standing in the shadows of motown dvd, the Funk Brothers cd containing a lot of the dvd's content, with some outstanding backing track versions of motown classics, and the best of The Funks, which has their versions of more motown hits. I love em!

Hi Craig

Just been havin' a few glasses with me neighbours and got round to talkin about local radio, what with the new Smooth station just about to launch (Saga)

Apparently, you live opposite me neighbours rellies up in Trowell - small world int it?

smile2

Me and the missus 'av a small celebration comin up soon - you up for a bit of dj'in?

Can't stand those type of biccies Craig, so your not on your own putting them down, sooner have a choccie digestive!

• 1 month later...

Im'e good at these late replies but wasn't there a girl called Charlene who recorded "I've never been to me "in the 80s I am pretty sure that was on Motown sadly she passed away a couple of years ago

On Motown?

I've Never Been To Me

( Charlene )

Hey lady, you lady, cursing at your life

You're a discontented mother and a regimented wife

I've no doubt you dream about the things you'll never do

But, I wish someone had talked to me

Like I wanna talk to you.....

Oh, I've been to Georgia and California and anywhere I could run

I took the hand of a preacher man and we made love in the sun

But I ran out of places and friendly faces because I had to be free

I've been to paradise but I've never been to me

Please lady, please lady, don't just walk away

'Cause I have this need to tell you why I'm all alone today

I can see so much of me still living in your eyes

Won't you share a part of a weary heart that has lived million lies....

Oh, I've been to Niece and the Isle of Greece while I've sipped champagne on a yacht

I've moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got

I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things that a woman ain't supposed to see

I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

[spoken]

Hey, you know what paradise is?

It's a lie, a fantasy we create about people and places as we'd like them to be

But you know what truth is?

It's that little baby you're holding, it's that man you fought with this morning

The same one you're going to make love with tonight

That's truth, that's love......

Sometimes I've been to crying for unborn children that might have made me complete

But I took the sweet life, I never knew I'd be bitter from the sweet

I've spent my life exploring the subtle whoring that costs too much to be free

Hey lady......

I've been to paradise, (I've been to paradise)

But I've never been to me

(I've been to Georgia and California, and anywhere I could run)

I've been to paradise, never been to me

(I've been to Neice and the isle of Greece while I've sipped champagne on a yacht)

(I've been to cryin' for unborn children that might have made me complete)

(I've been to Georgia and California, and anywhere I could run)

• 3 years later...