Dunno about that...he laid off 300 workers yesterday.

You seem to be a Post fan, Stan..never heard of Pole-Carew?

He marched straight through their, somewhat archaic, union structure...caused much acrimony and lost many sales, many former readers never returned...me included.

Cheers

Robt P.

Dunno about that...he laid off 300 workers yesterday.

You seem to be a Post fan, Stan..never heard of Pole-Carew?

He marched straight through their, somewhat archaic, union structure...caused much acrimony and lost many sales, many former readers never returned...me included.

Cheers

Robt P.

Pole-Carew was ahead of his time: replacing hot lead with photo typesetting and confronting head-on the Spanish practices that bedevilled both provincial and Fleet Street publications.

That said: today's Evening Post has me rushing for the sick bag if I read it - talk about a politically correct, propaganda sheet. The previous editor got an award for his right on editorial policy. :angry: and nothing's changed with his replacement.

...hold on chaps,it was not Jesse Boot that sacked the workers it was the Company management of today.

Jesse Boot's story as a person makes truly incredible reading from his endowment of the University and Boulevards leading to it to his making jobs for thousands of Nottingham workers.

It is tragic that the present management have lost the plot.

As to Pole Carew, -never heard of him.

I do read the Post on line daily,,Rob,along with the Guardian,Telegraph,etc.etc.,but cannot see connection with the printing of life history of a great Nottingham benefactor(Jesse B.)who came from a penniless family in the very worst slums in Nottingham to become Lord Trent. !clapping!

He gave £50,000 to the General Hospital, and presented the city with its magnificent war memorial.

He gave £200,000 for a new boulevard from Dunkirk to Beeston, £50,000 towards the purchase of Woodthorpe Park and thousands of pounds to help build the Albert Hall.

But towering above all these achievements is the University of Nottingham, renowned around the world as one of England's finest seats of higher learning.

He gave the university the land upon which it is built, £100,000 to help build it and £50,000 for the endowment fund.

He also created the Highfields leisure park with its boating lake and sports facilities, for everyone to enjoy.

Imagine, for a moment, the feeling of pride that must have swelled in the heart of this boy from the back streets when King George V and Queen Mary officially opened the University College buildings on July 10, 1928.

Today, more than 75 years after his death, honours have been cheapened somewhat but who could argue that Jesse Boot did not deserve his: the knighthood, the Freedom of Nottingham and his elevation to the peerage.

Jesse Boot left an indelible mark on the fabric of our city and although the family line died in 1956 and the company he created has changed almost beyond recognition, the name of one of Nottingham's greatest legends lives on. The amounts may not sound much in todays terms,but translated back then ,enormous,and what future foresight. !clapping!

...hold on chaps,it was not Jesse Boot that sacked the workers it was the Company management of today.

I do read the Post on line daily,,Rob,along with the Guardian,Telegraph,etc.etc.,but cannot see connection with the printing of life history of a great Nottingham benefactor(Jesse B.)who came from a penniless family in the very worst slums in Nottingham to become Lord Trent. !clapping!

Just a 'wind-up' Stan..thought you'd have guessed, with the reference to Jesse sacking his folks yesterday!

Always known that he was a magnificent philanthropist and humanist.

My great-grandfather knew, and worshipped, him.

I always start my day with an hour scanning the online papers...worldwide.

From 'The Times of India' to the 'Morning Star'!

Always beginning with the Obits vampire2

Surprising how some papers seem to have an 'improved' version online...perhaps surprisingly, Daily Mail for one.

Have to agree with Bamber re the right wing crap that gets into the Post...

I do read it, whilst managing to skirt around the rubbish....

Cheers

Robt P.

I get quite a sense of pride when I see "Boots" the chemist in all sorts of odd places around the world. Recently in Phuket Thailand for instance. There is a "Boots" just down from the Metropol Hotel in Phuket Town.

I believe their main factory was in the Meadows, between Kinglake Street and Waterway Street, bounded on the East by Queens Bridge Road. I used to walk passed it everyday on the way to primary school on Queens Drive/Brierley Street.

Alison

I agree - certainly the Jesse Boot story was often referred to in our house. However, my dad used to say that he built his factory in sight of the university (or the other way around) so the students could always see where the money came from!

A shame the city does more to commemorate a fictional legend than an actual one! :angry:

• 4 years later...

The great Jesse Boot is infact a distant relative of my mums, her maiden name was Boot . We have copies of the family tree on my mums side and Jesse Boot was , let me get it right .... my great great grandads cousin.

Im sure there must be quite a few decendants of his still around in this area, looking at the family tree it looks like he was part of a large family.

All the same still a bit of local history and a mini claim to fame .

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I feel the Boots pride too. As a teenager in the 60s I worked as a 'Saturday girl' and in the school holidays at Boots No 1 branch at 22 Goose Gate. I've never been able to understand why it wasn't preserved as a piece of the company's history. It was a rabbit warren of a shop. We had a wooden till drawer without any automation so we had to mentally add up the totals - made more complicated if the customer presented a Boots employee's discount card as there were three discounts - 3d off in each shilling for Boots goods and either 2d or 1 & half d off for certain proprietary goods! The manager when I worked there was Mr Knight and the pharmacist was Mr Foy. interestingly, my daughter is a pharmacist and works for Boots!

• Upvote 2
On 28/03/2007 at 1:13 PM, mick2me said:

I remember in the 70's, a rival paper being set up.

Was it 'Nottingham news'?

Perhaps by ex E.P. staff?

There were two disputes at the Post.  The first was with the compositors.  A group of them who were made redundant set up a free paper financed by advertising called " Info".  The second dispute was with the journalists and they set up a rival paper.  I think that was the Nottingham News.  My dad was involved in the first dispute and he worked on "Info".  "Info" did very well for a short time and got lots of advertising until suddenly businesses all stopped putting the adverts in. I am sure we can all guess why!  Lots of nasty and very underhand things went on and these are best not discussed. Water under the bridge.

• Upvote 1