Edwin Starr's Grave

In 2003 we lost one of the most underated Motown artists. :(

Edwin settled in the UK many years ago, and died at his home in Nottingham in 2003. :angry:

Since his death I have searched for his location of burial without success. Then I

found that his grave was at Wilford Hill. Our member 'BiP' found the exact location :D and on Saturday I was able to get a number of images of his grave and surrounding area with my digital camera.

If you wish to visit him, Edwin's grave is located plot No H19-91 in the traditional area at Wilford Hill [southern] cemetery, Nottingham. Climb the path up the hill to the main building. The grave is located to the right hand side of the building about 100 yards away from the building.

post-9-1102290222_thumb.jpg

25miles.jpg

Edwin is one of the great soul singers of all time. I first saw him in about 1970

at a Small vilage hall type of club which I can't remember north of Nuthall?

Anyone any ideas.

The next time I saw him I think was 'Intercon', the night club that used to be below the Clocktower entrance to the Victoria Centre.

The final time I saw him was in Issabella's Night Club about 1978. At this time he was carrying a lot of weight. I remember him wearing a Kaftan type outfit.

Did anyone else see Edwin live anywhere?

I did upload the picture to WWW.FINDAGRAVE.COM as they did not yet have an image of the grave.

• 2 months later...

Listen to

possibly the last interview with Edwin, late 2004

Edwin Starr Live 2001 Featuring: 25 Miles, S.O.S., War, My Girl, Let's Stay Together, Contact, Happy Radio, Agent 00 Soul and more! (30 minute radio broadcast)

(Courtesy of www.soul-patrol.net)

Enjoy :P

Can't wait to listen to that Mick,to be enjoyed with glass of red I think??

post-9-1107684543_thumb.gif

• 1 month later...

Just listened to the Edwin Starr interviews Mick, really enjoyed them & listening to the music, how come he left USA & went to live in Nottingham, was it because of the Hierarchy in the music industry in America??

• 2 years later...

I know its a bit late to respond to this (or if any one will even read it) but the late great Edwin Starr was living in Polesworth on the Leicestershire /Staffordshire border the last I heard.I actually signed him up for the RAC when I was working in the coop at Tamworth.Very nice man to talk to much missed .

imissyou

I have 3 differring opinions, my former taxi driver used to point out a place on Derby rd Bramcote/Wollaton, i dont know why, but i thought Toton, but Kev Roberts, who ought to know (even if he doesnt!) says it was Chilwell.

He lived a long while in Polesworth I signed him up to the RAC in 1990 and he was still there in 2001 when I dropped into the coop in Tamworth and mentioned it to the RAC man on duty (he said he still saw him occassionaly doing his shopping) I know it don't mean he was still living there but it's a bit too much of a coincidence

;)

• Upvote 1

Just spoken to Steve, who , along side Edwins widow Jean, and former manager/agent Lilian, make up the 3 soul agents company, and he confirmed that Chilwell was Edwins last place of residence in Nottingham, (so Kev was right), however, the house on Derby rd that my taxi driver metioned, was also correct, as Edwin resided there before moving to Calvert Close in Chiwell.

No such place as Calvert Close in Chilwell?

Bip. :Friends:

Actually there is.

According to my sat nav, Calvert close is reached by going along Town st, then Chilwell Lane then High rd then the B6464 Chilwell rd, and its off there.

• 2 years later...

I have recently been visiting Edwin Starr's grave at Wilford Cemetery...not a flower or tribute in sight and looked like no one had been near it for some time...I have put flowers there now and will continue to keep doing so but it would be nice if other people could do the same as he deserves so much more respect than this.

I took some photos, managed to get some of my scooter next to Edwins grave but have forgotten how to get my pictures off photobucket to on here.

pete c....still riding a vespa