Edwin Starr's Grave

I asked Pete C to send me the pics and I'd sort it for him.

Here we go

Before

EDWINSTARR1.jpg

During

EDWINSTARR12.jpg

EDWINSTARR9.jpg

After

SUNDAY29NOV09.jpg

Nice clean up job Pete

• Upvote 1

Thanks Ian very kind of you...as I said in my email the recent high winds have blown a lot of stuff around as you can see from the last photo, will try and get up this Sunday and sort it out.

Hi Mick been a little busy with other things but I do pop in to Nottstalgia every now and then to see what's happening..always something interesting to read.

pete c....still riding a vespa

Thanks Beefy for putting those images on the site. Hopefully I will come home for a holiday next year and will go up to Wilford Hill to put some flowers on the grave. I used to tell people I work with that the great Edwin Starr lived in Nottingham and then........ I saw him at least once at the 'Beach'. Thanks again.

An update.....When I went up to Wilford Hill this morning one of the vases plus flowers had disappeared, no doubt taken by some scumbag...what kind of person would stoop so low as to nick flowers from a grave...I will replace it next week and fingers crossed it won't disappear again.

• 4 weeks later...

Paid a very cold visit to Edwin's grave this morning..I managed to break one of the vases whilst trying to thaw it out to put some fresh flowers in!...see that someone else had also left flowers, if it was someone from this site then thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I did unaprove it and have since re unaproved it as I knew people would be offended by it !!!

I would like to know who in the Admins / Mods thought fit to re approve it , knowing it would cause offence ???

• Upvote 1

That was me - and apologies to Pete - I did not realize the posts would offend anybody.

• 2 years later...

Would it be an idea to have an Edwin Starr flower fund.As an old Motown fan I would gladly donate. Maybe make an arrangement with an 'Iterflora' store,or is there other options.would like to hear other suggestions. My sincere thanks to the members who made an effort.

Could an Edwin Starr flower fund be started? Maybe make an arrangement with an 'Interflora' store on a monthly basis.

As an old Motown fan, I would gladly donate to such a fund. My sincere thank's to the members who have made an effort. Bryan

• 2 years later...

I used to know Edwin quite well from around 1997 till his death. I used to visit him at Polesworth then at Bramcote ( he had a studio in his house) and Chilwell and worked with him numerous times in clubs. Believe it or not when he lived at Polesworth he'd go out for peanuts to clubs in the area if he wasn't already booked. One manager mentioned £200 to me which was about what I was getting in commercial clubs at the time. Incidentally, he didn't start out with Motown. They bought up Ric-Tic records to obtain his contract.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...