What Artists Have You Seen In Nottingham.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have seen Rolling Stones many times including at the park in London, Long John Baldry, Billy J Kramer, Amen Corner, Bill Haley & Comets, Gene Pitney, Dusty Springfield, The Animals, Small Faces,

Ian, for you and anyone else interested. We went to the Albert Hall and had a good night there. The hall was full and we sat way high in the top seats with excellent view of what was happening. Still

Two best ever gigs - Ian Dury at Rock City 1999 & Cream in the refectory at Nottingham Regional College of Technology early 1967. Same place for Jethro Tull. Once saw Tyrannosaurus Rex as a two ma

Ian, just asked Willy and he thinks you're referring to his hat that he called 'Nobhead' :blush::unsure::biggrin:

He said he got chased by the Winslow Hunt one day and had to throw it in the hedge as a decoy!

He thinks that he and Otway will be coming to Nottingham next Spring, if anyone's interested.

• Upvote 1

I preferred Otway solo, rather than with the 'Big Band' he had.

I first saw him at Mansfield Civic Theatre I believe, and when he did 'You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet' and nutted the Mike, he split his head open ..... Amazing.

It was the last time I saw the fantastic Edgar Broughton Band.

• Upvote 1

You need counselling then !!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bill Haley and the Comets at the Palais in 1956?? My neighbour's mother took me. She was in her seventies and I was 9 or ten.

I also went to see Cliff Richard - can't remember the name of the venue, but it was up near Mount St bus station somewhere. I was a bit older, but annoyed that I couldn't hear much of Cliff for all the screaming going on.

• 2 weeks later...

The Co-op Hall ticket was actually for a recital by someone playing the Onde Martenot, one of the first electronic instruments. The young lady was a soprano. There were no more than a dozen of us in the audience.

Tickets_zpso3mn6iec.jpg

• Upvote 2

Two best ever gigs - Ian Dury at Rock City 1999 & Cream in the refectory at Nottingham Regional College of Technology early 1967. Same place for Jethro Tull. Once saw Tyrannosaurus Rex as a two man band at The Albert Hall.

But some of the best gigs I've been to were in recent years (2000's) - Steve Winwood at The Rescue Rooms (no upper age limit!) & again a couple of years later at the Concert Hall. Also at Rescue Rooms - Calexico, Aynsley Lister, Wilko Johnson (with John Otway as support).
I was a regular at the Boat & Union Clubs in the late 60s, but much preferred Blues and Rock bands to Soul & Tamla. John Mayall, Fleetwood Mac, Savoy Brown, Chicken Shack, If, Ten Years After, Jeff Beck/Rod Stewart band. Back at Trent Poly (NRCT) Gymnasium in 1978 - Dire Straits, just before their breakthrough with Sultans of Swing.
One thing I've regularly done over the years with a couple of mates is getting along to Colin Staples' Blues open-mic nights. Now at The Navigation on Wilford St, but previously at The Britannia on Huntngdon St & Running Horse at Canning Circus. The best free night's entertainment (& good beer) going in Nottingham.

• Upvote 3

Yes Ian, saw Ken Colyer many times at the TBI. Also saw him a couple of times at his place in Soho, London. During the intervals he used to go in the bar at the TBI for a drink and we used to go and talk to him. He probably wanted some peace and quiet but he didn't seem to be bothered about us chatting to him. The flyer below is one of a number I have. This one gives the line-up of the Nottingham Rhythm Club's resident band The Mercia Jazzmen. I think the drummer must have been new because the usual drummer was Paul xxx. Note it was an extra two bob to see a celebrity band.

Regarding the tickets, I cannot for the life of me remember going to see the film South Pacific three times - twice in a month, apparently. Cannot remember going to the New Victoria to see it, and note that it had special tickets printed, when I would have thought that the film had been around for some time by then. I wish I knew the dates of the screenings. Mrs Chulla and I went to see it at the Royal Concert Hall. When it first opened it sometimes used to show films on a big screen; biggest in Nottingham at the time, I believe. Somewhere I have the ticket for Guy Mitchell at the Albert Hall, but cannot find it.

The Heart of the Midlands ticket stub was to see Frankie Laine.

Nottm%20Rhythm%20Club%20poster_zps1rcfki

• Like 1

Seen too many pop singers to mention, Terence Trent darby ...what a voice,wish he would come to notts again.,saw cliff bennett at the sherwood rooms when he was very young,and saw him a few years ago ,he still has it. Saw Carl froch in John lewis.

I got carried away and published a 1970's list in the '1975 best year for music' thread, but I've thought of some others I saw in that decade. At the Palais I saw the Kinks (original line up) and 10 Years After on separate occasions. Some others I recall seeing at the Uni were Andy Fairweather Lowe, Andy Fraser and the amazing Terry Reid. Terry Reid was a cross between Lowell George of Little Feat and Jackson Browne, his style was not appreciated in this country and he went off to California.

I recall seeing a fantastic Rock and Roll set by Lonnie Donegan in the 50's at the Theatre Royal and also seeing The Springfield's with Dusty at about the same time. The Moody Blues played on the top floor of the old Poly building back in 68/69, they were very approachable and were drinking with us in the bar. The Scaffold liked to share a pint in the Buttery Bar as well, they were very entertaining live introducing other performers in their act such as Zoot Money and Neil Innes. I did see the amazing Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band live when I was at Portsmouth Poly but only saw off shoots in Nottingham such as Viv Stanshall and Roger Ruskin Spears Kinetic Circus.

The last band I saw in Nottingham were The Pogues in Wollaton Park circa 1993? By then Shane had departed, I was present at his demise at Finsbury Park Fleidth so the question is, did I see Joe Strummer perform with the band that day as I know he did for a few concerts.

I know it's not a pi****ing competition but reading Firbeck and Chulla and who they have seen..I have'nt lived.Even though I like the Damned and USA garage stuff,Ken Coyler, George melley,Cyril Davies and others I have always loved.Herself can't understand Guy Mitchell/Electric Prunes kinda thing.Pete..nice touch (buttery bar). Remember it well, ii think Fly and Terence? are Terry fans ..picked up The Most..album of his for 49p from Ace Records on Mansfield Rd. Next you'll be telling me you witnessed Alex Harvey or Nick Drake and drive me potty!! ( LOL)!!