What Artists Have You Seen In Nottingham.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have seen Rolling Stones many times including at the park in London, Long John Baldry, Billy J Kramer, Amen Corner, Bill Haley & Comets, Gene Pitney, Dusty Springfield, The Animals, Small Faces,

Ian, for you and anyone else interested. We went to the Albert Hall and had a good night there. The hall was full and we sat way high in the top seats with excellent view of what was happening. Still

Two best ever gigs - Ian Dury at Rock City 1999 & Cream in the refectory at Nottingham Regional College of Technology early 1967. Same place for Jethro Tull. Once saw Tyrannosaurus Rex as a two ma

I have seen Rolling Stones many times including at the park in London, Long John Baldry, Billy J Kramer, Amen Corner, Bill Haley & Comets, Gene Pitney, Dusty Springfield, The Animals, Small Faces, Beach Boys (bit disappointed in them), Johnny Kid & The Pirates (Shakin’ all over - brilliant).  Many of the other groups in 60’s and 70’s. Always wanted to see Tina Turner but never got to see her.

• Upvote 3
  • 2 months later...
On 11/1/2018 at 9:06 AM, Stavertongirl said:

. Always wanted to see Tina Turner but never got to see her.

I’ve seen Tina Turner three times, firstly at the very last concert to be held at the old Wembley Stadium, it was billed as her final performance too.  Then a few years ago I saw she was doing a FINAL tour of the USA so we got tickets to see her at the American Airlines Arena in Miami and then, blow me, she toured Europe after that so we got tickets to see her again at Sheffield Arena, it was the exact same show as the one in Miami.  Just fantastic and so pleased we went.  Funnily enough, for years I told people I’d seen Ike and Tina Turner at the Dungeon in the mid 60s but it must have been Charlie and Inez Foxx as I’ve discovered quite recently that Ike and Tina never played at the Dungeon!  Impressed a few people though!  To be honest, when talking about concerts 30, 40, 50 years ago we can (and some probably do) say we were there, nobody can prove us wrong!!  

I’ve only seen the Stones once, brilliant. Seen ROD a dozen times, still love him and going again this May. 

I saw so many different bands in Nottingham in the 60s, too many to mention, although I can remember them all.  

• Upvote 2

Long John Baldry, one of the GREATEST singers we've ever produced. Seen him numerous times. RIP.

Mentioning great singers, Stevie Marriott was also a stupendous performer, especially doing the more rocky numbers.

Paul Rogers too, the greatest Blues/ Rock singer we've produced, then David Coverdale who's rock ballads are unsurpassable.

• Upvote 2

Fleetwood Mac at least three times. Jeff Beck Band, feat. Rod Stewart and Aynsley Dunbar.  Jethro Tull, Linda Lewis, Garnett Mimms, Jr. Walker and the All Stars, Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band, Long John Baldry, Pentangle, Tim Rose, Cream at Nottm Tech, Root n Jenny Jackson (We booked them into the 360 and lost a mint because nobody believed we had them...) and many many more, including the great Ray Charles.  Can't remeber where that was.. Cinema just down from the Playhouse square..  Was it the Elite or the Odeon???  memory fades.. it was about 1962/3.

• Like 1

I'd give them slightly more rope than that, gave Donnington a miss for the that very reason!, got dragged along to Milton Keynes ...even worse! Rain & Mystery Song though ..great stuff..two guitar riffing at it's best !

6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

The Pirates i did see..great band..the pub rock scene spawned some great acts..Ducks Deluxe ..Kilburn and the Highroads..were great to see. Rory Gallagher took a lot of beating though.

Not Nott's ..but saw the Pirates loads of time's ! Mick Green top guitarist! Also remember the Only Ones very good!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Fleetwood Mac at least three times. Jeff Beck Band, feat. Rod Stewart and Aynsley Dunbar.  Jethro Tull, Linda Lewis, Garnett Mimms, Jr. Walker and the All Stars, Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band, Long John Baldry, Pentangle, Tim Rose, Cream at Nottm Tech, Root n Jenny Jackson (We booked them into the 360 and lost a mint because nobody believed we had them...) and many many more, including the great Ray Charles.  Can't remeber where that was.. Cinema just down from the Playhouse square..  Was it the Elite or the Odeon???  memory fades.. it was about 1962/3.

Wow Dj360..would have liked to have been at some of those gigs.. Especially the Tull one ! Saw them in 1976 ! The odd period!☺ Then again the Broadsword album..liked that one and also crest of..Mr Anderson's favourite..

Purely by chance, In the mid eighties I popped into a country pub in Cambridgeshire and Mr Anderson  was doing a impromptu solo set ...penny whistle, tapping spoons along with the flute & guitar... pure genius! 

• Like 1

Just read all post its amazing how many groups/singers we have all seen 

but what I would like to know as we are hmmm!!!!! mature grownups now so were do we go from here?

I am going to take a leaf out of my son's book and apply for tickets to go to "Glastonbury" 

The trouble is if by chance I meet my son there he will pretend that he doe's not no me.

oldest swinger in town springs to mind but so what!!!

• Like 1

My next door neighbour is beside himself with excitement since he booked tickets for his first ever festival at 72 years of age.  He's going to Cropredy with his daughter.

• Like 1

Couple more I forgot..  Saw the Bee Gees at the Beachcomber while they had New York Mining Disaster bubbling under and Love affair, also at the Beachcomber I think when they had their version of Robert Knight's Everlasting Love in the charts.  Pretty sure I saw Quo at the Union or one of the boat clubs while they had 'Matchstick Men'  in the charts.. but not 100% sure I haven't imagined that.Also saw Glen Dale of the Fortunes do a solo Sunday Lunchtime Gig after they split for a while.  The venue was the Deerstalker pub at the bottom of our street. ..Southglade Rd.

Also saw The Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation a couple of times at the Boat., including the night when they said they were going to end the first set with a tune featuring a long drum solo by Aynsley..  Can't recall the song but it all built up towards the anticipated solo when there was a tremendous... silence.. followed by Aynsley muttering the words  "****ing skin's broke on the ****ing snare..."  :laugh:

P.S.  Just remembered.  Cliff Bennet and the Rebel Rousers. at one of the boat clubs I think.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Inappropriately posted the first part of my Jack Bruce in Nottingham memories in the 'what are you listening to' thread.

The three times I gained entry, all at the Palais were1984 twice and 85-86.

The second time was Clem Clempson on guitar also I think third.

I recall Clem having to leave the stage do to heat exhaustion on one of the occasions, possibility fainted?

Also recall Jack Doing 'Theme for an Imaginary western' solo on keyboard and stopping after the intro...a few expletives later starting the song again!

Fuzzy about the fourth time, didn't get in due to sold out..somewhere a left at the top of Hockley.

Rainbow Rooms maybe ?

Sussed it! Went to visit my daughter today, she has the internet, Google maps, it was the Old Vic, this is interesting to me as I am familiar with it, must have been my first visit and didn't get in..sold out.

Makes sence..I saw John Hammond Jnr solo here later and it was packed & I mean packed!  

Occasionally caught a glimpse of the headstock and the first two frets of the guitar, fantastic gig ! a real highlight.

I'm sure this was promoted by the Nottingham Blues Society..any

recollection or info?

Recall Ten Years After playing at a TV series based in Nottingham about 1985. Possibility called Roadblock? 

Advertised on Radio Trent,  Tickets were free or 50p picked up at the small kiosk in Victoria Centre near Jessops and Victoria market.

Gig was in the Radford area, guessing Cental studio.  had at least two overhead cameras that were constantly on the move,

I was standing at the rear but really annoying if you didn't want to appear on the tele!

I i coudn't make it, but think Hawkind also appeared in this series,

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, HSR said:

Recall Ten Years After playing at a TV series based in Nottingham about 1985.

We were on a little steam train last December in Uruguay, Montevideo to Colon, and sat opposite another couple. Like you do, we asked where they were from, Canada they said. How about you? Arizona. That's not an Arizona accent, where from originally? Nottingham says we. Oh yes says the fella, Ten Years After is my favourite group. To say I was gobsmacked was an understatement. 

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, HSR said:

Recall Ten Years After playing at a TV series based in Nottingham about 1985. Possibility called Roadblock?   Advertised on Radio Trent,  Tickets were free or 50p picked up at the small kiosk in Victoria Centre near Jessops and Victoria market.  Gig was in the Radford area, guessing Cental studio.  had at least two overhead cameras that were constantly on the move, I was standing at the rear but really annoying if you didn't want to appear on the tele!  I i coudn't make it, but think Hawkind also appeared in this series,

Might've been the series 'Bedrock' which was filmed at Central TV in the early 90s. Several bands were recorded, including a number who reformed for the occasion. All concerts were available on DVD but they seem to have disappeared. The only one I can find is Caravan   https://www.zoom.co.uk/product/access_all_areas_caravan_album_with_dvd_cd?gclid=CjwKCAjwmtDpBRAQEiwAC6lm42GTdM-BGdh5fLkai2ZzCJ0LDB8gSfD6h7shl1c0qzYKOl-dxZvRkRoC4ZkQAvD_BwE

• Upvote 1

May have mentioned on here before but a few years ago I was in an elevator in Miami and a woman asked me if I was Australian (that happens so often) so I told her I was from Nottingham England and she said she used to live with Alvin Lee.  We got out on different floors and I never saw her again. Pity that, I’d have liked to have heard more! 

• Upvote 1

It wasn't his longtime girlfriend Lorraine Bergon was it ? A slim woman with shoulder length blonde hair. I believe they married eventually and had two boys.

She wasn’t that tall but did have blonde hair.  Possibly the same woman, I’ll never know.  She lived in the same building as us but there were about 200 condos and 6 elevators so we rarely saw anyone more than once!!

I know they moved to America, and lived there for ages before he / they moved to Spain where he died after an operation. 

Lorraine was good friends of some of my student mates in the early / mid 60's. 

If you type in Alvin Lee, Motel Blues on utube, she's the woman in the black and white picture with Alvin. Brilliant track!

Hard to tell FLY but don’t think it was the same woman.   We were there from 2007 to 2014 so it was many years after that b & w photo was taken.

Yes, that's what I assumed.

That's the one, Cliffton, Bedrock, I'm happy with the attempt with Roadblock but the date was a howler! :wacko:

Think it was about 1991.

These shows were only broadcast locally. Making the assumption that there were six in the series, interesting to know which other three artists featured.

I have a bootleg DVD called  'Groupies' a real time capsule, probably available on utube, features TYA, Terry Reid & others.