What Artists Have You Seen In Nottingham.

Since you brought up this subject, it's been bugging me because there isn't as much available on the net as I'd expected.  The best way to get results seems to be a search of 'Bedrock Central TV', and if you scroll through the results you'll get more info, and this video of Hawkwind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUkECIgaQA0

The irony is that I worked at Central during that period and was hanging around during several of the gigs. I was paid to be there.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have seen Rolling Stones many times including at the park in London, Long John Baldry, Billy J Kramer, Amen Corner, Bill Haley & Comets, Gene Pitney, Dusty Springfield, The Animals, Small Faces,

Ian, for you and anyone else interested. We went to the Albert Hall and had a good night there. The hall was full and we sat way high in the top seats with excellent view of what was happening. Still

Two best ever gigs - Ian Dury at Rock City 1999 & Cream in the refectory at Nottingham Regional College of Technology early 1967. Same place for Jethro Tull. Once saw Tyrannosaurus Rex as a two ma

In 1965 as a Mod and still at school I saw Zoot Money and his Big Roll Band at the Dungeon.  Last Friday I saw him play again, for only the second time ever, at The Jazz Cafe in Sandbanks and it was a brilliant night of great music.  I had a chat with him (what a lovely man) and told him I’d seen him in Nottingham all those years ago and he said he remembers playing at the Dungeon, Boat Clubs and Beachcomber. Nottingham really was a ‘go to’ place for bands back then.  I was born at the right time and in the right place, Nottingham was a fantastic place to grow up.  

• Like 2

Well done Lizzie. Yes, he was a regular at all the Nottm venues, and I saw him many times. A very talented musician, and as you say, a nice chap to boot. Definitely a rarity in the music business.

‘Zoot’ was promoting his CDs (as they do) and all the proceeds are to go to Alzheimer’s because his wife/partner of nearly 50 years suffered from it and passed away a year or so ago.  He was very entertaining, apart from the music accompanied by a very talented band, he chatted about his life in music and growing up in the Bournemouth area.  Great night.  

• Like 1

Wish I'd have been there ! 

• Upvote 1

Just checked his website, and sadly, he's not gigging anywhere other than London, and the South Coast. 

Cliff Ton...What did you do while employed at Central Studios?

with your wonderful knowledge of maps,  I'm thinking you might have been the weatherman?

Thanks for the confirmation on the Hawkwind.

Regarding TYA, Sent three emails to three friends from the newsgroup days and trading disks. Haven't chatted for seventeen years!

Got one responce, 'Hey Buddy, I thought you were dead! smile2

Second, the DVD is in the post, snail mail from Kentucky! double header with The Marquee anniversary gig.

Cliff Ton re above post , when we lived in Radcliffe and had Puccini Restaurant the head of Central news came in to eat fairly regularly and occasionally he came in with one of the news readers ( nothing dodgy ).Unfortunately cannot remember names of either of them.

5 hours ago, HSR said:

Cliff Ton...What did you do while employed at Central Studios?  with your wonderful knowledge of maps,  I'm thinking you might have been the weatherman?

Graphic Design. When I started it was before everything went digital and computerised; things such as maps were created by using card, glue, letraset, and sticking pieces of paper on other pieces of paper. For a couple of years I honestly did do weather maps for the weather man; the symbols, (rain, temperature numbers, sun, etc) were magnetically fixed to the base map. By the time I left, it was all on a Mac.

3 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Cliff Ton re above post , when we lived in Radcliffe and had Puccini Restaurant the head of Central news came in to eat fairly regularly and occasionally he came in with one of the news readers ( nothing dodgy ).Unfortunately cannot remember names of either of them.

What years would that have been ? I'll definitely know the names, and it's probably safe to name them now, even if there was anything iffy at the time.

• Like 1

Cliff Ton. I cannot think of their names but he used to come in with his wife then sometimes coming straight from work he came in with a presenter who I think is still with central. She was on tv a while ago maybe last year. Blonde slim with a very small face and I cannot remember her name either. I remember too that we had a couple who came every week and always had the same food because those particular dishes were their favourites. The husband if I remember right was a carpenter and the wife was in wardrobe . The name is on the tip of my tongue and I can't spit it out ( 'scuse the expression) My son would remember it but the thing that keeps repeating itself to me is "Do"

Just phoned my son told you he would remember them their name was Dorrington.

Forgot to answer for years. It must have been around ' 83/87j

Anne Davies was the news reader , just remembered her name. 

Anne Davies is still around, but she's now on BBC Local News rather than ITV Central.  I'm not too certain about the others you mentioned; there are several possibilities.

7 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Just phoned my son told you he would remember them their name was Dorrington.

Yes I knew them, but sadly the wife - Janet - passed away several years ago, and I believe Ron is now in a nursing home.

Thought she might not be still alive , as she had some problems. She always used to have Panna Cotta for dessert and no end of customers asked for the recipe but I wouldn't give it to them and Mrs Dorrington was the only one I ever gave it to because we were coming back her and I knew she wouldn't give it to anyone else Sad for her husband though, don't think they had any children

If by any chance you are in contact with Mr Dorrington please remember us to them.

Thankyou Cliff Ton

• Upvote 1
On 7/25/2019 at 11:28 AM, nonnaB said:

The husband if I remember right was a carpenter and the wife was in wardrobe .

Was it bespoke designer?  ;)

• 10 months later...

Regarding the Hammond gig,,, about a month later  Chicago Bluesman Fenton Robinson played the Old Vic....pick up band London W4!  packed solid for Hammond..

Turn out for Fenton roughly numbered 60!"

Both gigs promoted by the Nottingham Blues Society..

Another couple I recall, Junior Wells Blues Band downstairs at the Palais definitely circa 91-92.

A guy who's name escapes me at present, played at the Arboretum about '96, think he may have also been a former member of the Muddy Waters band but with a much lower profile than Junior.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 1:15 PM, Cliff Ton said:

The irony is that I worked at Central during that period and was hanging around during several of the gigs. I was paid to be there

Found another, Gong 1991, I"m confused, hardly the most commercial artists even in their day!

Castle Communications releases? Straight to VHS / DVD.

Like to know if they rented the studio or brought in their own crew?

• 3 weeks later...