• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Slight improvement Dave thanks. not going to be quick. Going to see the nurse tomorrow, Mrs C has managed to borrow a wheelchair to get me about, then the fun should really start. ! Sue has never driv

#28 IF i was young again and out on the pull,and saw most of the girls in town at night,i would run amile

A Big Mac and Fries can be the nearest thing to heaven on a long car journey when you’re really hungry -so yes, about once a year!

I'm sure a lot of the preservatives in processed foods are fattening. But no excuse. When I was at school, I remember two kids who were thought of as fat, but absolutely nothing like the obesity we see today. We used to eat all the crap going. Nothing on the labels to warn you of anything, but we cycled, we walked, we played football, we chased girls (literally) we went hill walking. We did games and PE at school. No opting out of these things in those days. With only 2 poxy black and white TV channels - 405 lines, and no computers or X boxes, there was nothing to stay in for. If it wasn't raining, no matter how cold, my mum would chuck me out to play.

The first really obese people (and my goodness they were FAT!!!) that I ever saw were on the beach at Lido di Jesselo in Italy around 1964 when my parents took us on one of the early package holidays. They were Italian locals playing some sort of bowls game.

Re # 27 And the Continentals (as we used to called them before the EU) don't care what they look like in their bathers!! But then I don't think the young girls walking around Nottingham look in a mirror before they venture out.

• Upvote 3

#28 IF i was young again and out on the pull,and saw most of the girls in town at night,i would run amile :)

• Upvote 4

like beffy i have never been really thin spent all my young years walking here there and every were allday long always ate a healthy diet , in my teenage years i would be out swimming ices kating dancing every day some times all 3 on one night always had jobs that involved a lot of standing and walking i managed to keep my weight down under 10 stone just once i had my children things changed and no matter what i tried i never had any luck in loosing weight my two boys are compleatly different one can eat what ever he wants and has always been normal size the other one like me is over wieght they both had the same diets when young . i had another minor op on wednessday and the anethetist comented that he was suprized how good my heart traces were and bloods were very good because of my dissabilities i have put more weight on yes i use my mobility schooter for long trips round town ect but also still try and go swimming once a week and walk with my walker if i have not got to go too far.. its a vicious circle if your disabled to be able to loose weight you carnt exercize or walk properly so you put more weight on

Bubblewrap #26 exactly if you cannot/will not take exercise you put on weight.

When I was 25 I was 6ft 2" and weighed 11 1/2 stone. I promised my wife to be no more climbing/caving etc. 27 years old weighed 16 1/2 stone and whilst I was still fit being in the army I have never lost that extra weight.

I think we all realise that people with mobility problems will struggle but the majority of young lard asses we see walking/waddling about today are just bone idle.

• Upvote 1

Bubblewrap #26 exactly if you cannot/will not take exercise you put on weight.

My comments were not aimed at all users of electric scooters but I'm sure a fair number of users are quite capable of walking, I think they are just plain lazy. ;)

Sadly, I have put on weight since my forties. I used to be between 9 and ten stone but now I have a bit of a tummy and moobs. My grand-daughter takes the mick the rotten sod bless her.

I never weighed myself for years then my mother(bless her) called me fat(three years ago)

I thought I was around 11 stones, I was 14 stones EEK :)

So I went on a diet & I exercised e bit more(walking)

I'm now eleven & a half stone :)

And my jeans are no longer tight ;)

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Jesus Christ... More bloody traffic chaos. Let them rum 100 times round Wollaton Park.

• Upvote 1

After I had my daughter in 73' I was seven stone,I was not anorexic,it was down to hard work,doing everything myself running around after a toddler,washing by hand,boiling nappies in a baby burco every day,did all my own cooking,never had a takeaway or ready meal.When my two kids came in from playing they were not rewarded with sweets ,they helped themselves to cheese ,apples,carrots,all kinds of fruit,they had good teeth and skin,shiny hair,and energy.Now I always read ingredients on packs,if I don't like what I read,I don't buy it,it's hard to find things with no crap in .

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

Diet has far more effect on weight than exercise. Going to the gym will make little difference unless it is accompanied by cutting down on calories. Exercise is mainly for health and fitness. Oddly, some overweight looking people are quite healthy and fit due to exercise. And even more odd - some slim looking people carry hidden fat in their muscles and viscera and are very unfit. So appearances can be deceptive.

As wartime and post war kids we were no better disciplined than today's kids when it comes to food and drink. All kids eat and drink what is put in front of them and what is readily available.

Education is the key, however when almost a third of school leavers are barely literate.........

• 1 year later...

What is fat shaming Oh it's telling the truth...................I am over weight do I care if some one tells me so NO it's the truth. As my mam used to say " you may not like the truth but.............It's still the truth"

Don't think mam would get on well in this world.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

As my mam used to say " you may not like the truth but.............It's still the truth"

Don't think mam would get on well in this world.

And she wouldn't be on her own,NBL! A lot of us are in the same boat!

images-4.jpg

• Like 2

Apart from those who have a genuine medical condition I've always considered weight loss to be a simple equation, If calories in are less than calories out then you will lose weight.

I'm average height and for years a steady 11/12 stone. Now I'm retired I'm a lazy sod who does zero excercise and have gained over three stone. The only thing that gets to me is that although I'm teetotal the weight gain takes the form of a 'beer belly' :wacko:

19 minutes ago, Brew said:

Apart from those who have a genuine medical condition I've always considered weight loss to be a simple equation, If calories in are less than calories out then you will lose weight.

When you've got a dodgy thyroid, the equation no longer works....sadly! :mellow: