The Bestwood Coal & Iron Co.Ltd

According to the info board it's the only existing twin cylinder vertical steam engine in England that stands on it's original site.

Any our our members ever work there?

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

According to the info board it's the only existing twin cylinder vertical steam engine in England that stands on it's original site.

Any our our members ever work there?

Yes and No.....

I worked at the NCB No 6 Area HQ Offices, which were sited just below the colliery, from the late 50's till the mid 60's.

Can't especially recall the winding-engine house, perhaps because they were common local sights at that time. IIRC, there was a similar structure at Cinderhill.

Reckon John will know a great deal about them....

As an aside, I can recall that Bestwood Colliery seemed to have regular visits from film and documentary makers at that time. Reckon it was viewed as a 'typical' colliery village - certainly more pleasant than most.

I appear briefly as an 'unpaid extra' whilst walking up to the colliery, in the film 'Stand Up, Stand Up for Nigel Barton' circa 1960.

Hollywood didn't beckon....

Cheers

Robt P.

There were dozens of vertical steam winding engines in the 60's around the country Frank, not sure if any, other than the Bestwood one are left.

I went down Bestwood on a visit when I was doing my underground training during the early 60's. They took us to see the Cable Belt, lowest face, I think it was 36 inches high! and top and bottom of the Lancaster Drift, named after the origonal pre nationalisation owners.

Yes, that's it.....

The irascible Jack Woolgar, portraying Barton Sr, and famous for his drunken manner and slurred speech, maintained his reputation by spending most of his off-screen time propping up the bar in Bestwood MW.

IIRC, he passed away not long after the filming ended.....

Cheers

Robt P.

• 8 months later...

Hello, my grandad used to work there, but i'm not sure when?

I know he worked as the fireman? is that the right name for the bloke who made sure that everyone stood clear before he set off the explosives.

his name was Ronald Sanderson, he was born in nottingham and was married to Winifred Sanderson and they had a daughter and a son, my Dad. :)

I have been looking on the internet for old photos of the colliery, but i havent found any photos of the people who worked there.

thats when i came across this forum, and i desided to join..

I was wondering if anyone knew of my grandad at all? maybe your fathers might have done :)

i'd just like to learn more about what he would have done while working there, and look at some photos of the place.

if anyone has got any?

from Sam.

You might find some Bestwood Colliery piccies at Terry Blythes web site. Terry passed on last September, but his son is maintaining the site. I have his permission to use any and all material for a site I'm constructing at the moment, I'm sure there are some piccies of underground and of the Lancaster Drift.

Although I never worked there, we were taken on a tour during our underground training.

Scootersam, it's shotfirer the terminolgy of a feller who loads and fires a round of shots, a Deputy is also authorised to carry so many dets and fire a round should the need arise.

Thank you for replying to me :) yeah i think that's the name my dad used, shotfirer..

what a dangerous job that must have been! :O he did the explosive bit.. gosh!

gan gan never told me anything like that..well i would have been to young to know anyway, if he did tell me. :)

(sorry that's what me and my brother called our grandad..as my brother couldnt say grandad properly.. and i copied him.)

I've never been down a real coal mine before.. only the one at the black country living museum.. i think it was? that was a mock up of one.. but i just love the smells..and the feel of places like that.

I'm really happy that they are finally sorting out the winding house up there.. as i used to go horse riding at Broad View stables just across the road.. we always used to ride past the winding house and then go into the woods.. ahh what lovely memories they were :)

that was back in 1997 at least.. after i learned to ride, i helped Anne out for while, then eventully went to brackenhurst college until 1999. (sorry about abit of my life story.)

the last time i went up to bestwood park was back in november 2003, as i took my soon to be boyfriend and his wonderful old dog, Dino for a wonder around up there.. and dino ran after a rabbit.. he was half blind and aged 16 years old.. poor woofy.. but he still could walk..slow though. :)

I will go and have a look at that website, thank you.

Good to hear that the Bestwood project is receiving some cash. The old steam winders were not only practical, but also had a strange artistic attraction to them. When they were in use, most of them were lovingly attended to by the engineman and were works of art.

The engine the wound me up and down the shaft at Donisthorpe numerous times is in storage at the Snibston museum with plans, at some point, to restore it to operating condition.

Good to hear that the Bestwood project is receiving some cash. The old steam winders were not only practical, but also had a strange artistic attraction to them. When they were in use, most of them were lovingly attended to by the engineman and were works of art.

The engine the wound me up and down the shaft at Donisthorpe numerous times is in storage at the Snibston museum with plans, at some point, to restore it to operating condition.

It's a shame Clifton Colliery's weren't saved, the company that made them was still in business in the late 1960's, but not making steam engines though. We blew the end out of a cylinder. The company got the drawings out, yep they had them archived, turned a new cylinder head while the truck was on it's way up to them, had the part ready within hours of being notified, and our downtime was probably 2 days!

I wonder how many companies today would respond so quickly!

I'll bump this because of the links to Youtube videos. These are part of a training film made by the old NCB, they show life underground in a modern colliery.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a few ancestors who worked in many of the pits in Notts coalfields. Alexander McLean Hamilton 1891-1974 worked at Bestwood for 50 years, he was the area president of the NUM and also played football for Forest (in goal) in about 1911. Robert J (Jimmy) Hamilton was an electrician down Bestwood pit he was born in 1880 another Alexander Hamilton born 1860 also worked down Bestwood pit.

Apart from those I have numerous ancestors who according to the census documents were aged 10 and 11 years old their occupations being coal miners and setters on?!

My uncle Swinton Butt finished his working life at Calverton having worked down Linby and Hucknall pits. My father Brian worked at Linby, Hucknall and Gedling. Their father Jack(John) worked in Linby and other pits in the are as well.

My mothers father and brothers and my great grandfather ( all Gaunts) worked in pits as far apart as Alfreton to Clifton.

So I have a family connection to Bestwood and have spent the past few years researching many links, including dead ends lol! If anyone knows anything about any of my relatives I'd love to hear from you. Also if anyone as any information on the old Bestwood Colliery Band or any photographs relating to miners in Bestwood Colliery from the early 1900s I'd love to be able to get copies of them.

I have tried to find archives on the Bestwood NUM of the early 1900s in the hope there would be a link or a photograph of Alexander McLean Hamilton but it is proving difficult. Maybe one of you football fans might have an old picture of him in a team lineup?

Its certainly very sobering reading of youngsters age 10 and 11 working down the pit though my research as shown that even 6 year olds worked down them and this long after slavery was abolished! No wonder William Blake reffered to those "Dark Satanic Mills" in his wonderful writings.

Can recall that when I worked at the Bestwood HQ offices in the late 50's/early 60's there were several Hamiltons, both living in the village and working down the pit...some in quite senior positons.

Another common surname there at that time was Mayes....Bill Mayes was the colliery Chief Clerk and his parents ran the village Post Office.

Cheers

Robt P.

Can recall that when I worked at the Bestwood HQ offices in the late 50's/early 60's there were several Hamiltons, both living in the village and working down the pit...some in quite senior positons.

Another common surname there at that time was Mayes....Bill Mayes was the colliery Chief Clerk and his parents ran the village Post Office.

Cheers

Robt P.

That ties in with what I found out Robert. The Hamiltons lived in the village, some on what is now called "Park Road" others on "Moor Road". I have an address for "Moor Cottages" but have been unable to find it so I imagine it was either demolished or renamed. The widow of the NUM area president lived on Ravensworth Road in Bulwell and since that was where the family first came to live (Quarry Road Bulwell) when they moved down here from Scotland it seems about right. One of the women lived on Park Road( with her husband I imagine) in the village and worked at the Post Office for 30 years as well.

Its surprising when one considers how tight knit the mining communities were (are) that its taken me so long to find things out about my forebears. Having said that a fair few of the Hamiltons emigrated to Canada, America and Australia including one who used to (apparently) run the colliery band way back when hence my interest in the colliery band.

I imagine any family arguments or rifts also tend to make finding things out a little difficult. I did contact one member of the family who I traced back to my great great grandmothers lineage and she was really quite rude and didnt want to know owt nor divulge any details whatsoever, maybe a few skeletons rattling around in the cuphoard or the lamp room methinks lol!

We lose such a lot of our history by not trying to find where our roots originated and it seems a shame for without our history, particularly family history and work/living records etc we are almost like an alien species without any foundation or foothold in the past. I guess that, in part, is what this site is about. If we dont know our past whats to stop future generations making the same mistakes and living in the same cruel conditions that our ancestors fought, worked and died for?

Eyup time to get off me soap box else someones liable to kick it from under me !englandflag!

That ties in with what I found out Robert. The Hamiltons lived in the village, some on what is now called "Park Road" others on "Moor Road". I have an address for "Moor Cottages" but have been unable to find it so I imagine it was either demolished or renamed.

Might be a long shot Don but I used to have a work colleague who lived in the very first cottage on the right-hand side of Moor Road approaching Bestwood Village from Bulwell. He always maintained to me that it was the oldest home in the village (though it's on the very outskirts). I wonder if that just might lead you in the direction of 'Moor Cottages'?

Cottages are sited - but named Moorbridge Cottages - set back to the left on the long Bestwood Road straight, prior to the descent into the dips down to the long defunct railway overbridge. Could these be your Moor Cottages?

Also recall that there were a number of cottages around the base of the old station, which was unusually elevated above road level. IIRC, these were demolished at the time of Dr B.Ching's line closure.

Cheers

Robt P.

Don, I understand Nottingham City Council has an archive of photos from pits around the city, you might check with them.

Might be a long shot Don but I used to have a work colleague who lived in the very first cottage on the right-hand side of Moor Road approaching Bestwood Village from Bulwell. He always maintained to me that it was the oldest home in the village (though it's on the very outskirts). I wonder if that just might lead you in the direction of 'Moor Cottages'?

Thanks Stuart. I think they have been called the "Railway Cottages" certainly look like the style of houses that were often found near railways. Just before those is a tunnel set back from the road, well more of a bridge I guess, I have often looked at it but as there appears to be some kind of farm buildings on the other side I havent trespassed to have a peek.

Cottages are sited - but named Moorbridge Cottages - set back to the left on the long Bestwood Road straight, prior to the descent into the dips down to the long defunct railway overbridge. Could these be your Moor Cottages?

Also recall that there were a number of cottages around the base of the old station, which was unusually elevated above road level. IIRC, these were demolished at the time of Dr B.Ching's line closure.

Cheers

Robt P.

Thanks Rob I had seen those and wondered if they might be the ones I was looking for, time for a closer look I think.

Cheers

Robt P.

Well you could have knocked me down with a feather Rob!

Margaret Hamilton married a William Mays and lived on Park Road and worked at the Post Office. They had two sons William and Frederick and a daughter Susan who became a JP in 1952. It seems you were surrounded by my ancestors during your time at Bestwood HQ offices! I have the spelling as "Mays" not "Mayes" and when your searching for people a slight spelling error can lead you off at a tangent and have you chasing your tail like a rabid dog lol.

Don, I understand Nottingham City Council has an archive of photos from pits around the city, you might check with them.

Many thyanks Ayupmeducks I have found several images on their site just recently. What would be even better is a photograph from someone who worked there or had relatives from the early days of the colliery working there and maybe had a photograph with a name or two on it.Bit of a pipe dream really I suppose.

I imagine not too many colliers from the 1860s to the very early 1900s had their own cameras, something one as to keep in mind when looking for such photographs. Thank goodness I have always had an interest in photography and also keep written records on the backs of most of my pictures. Truth told I would be lost without my digital camera now.