More Music Trivia

Guest Anne

I find your opinion of Peter Kaye to be wrong . You are entitled to your opinion ,again, but different generations like different things . I personally find him hillarious, he doesn't need to use smutty inuendo to make us laugh, or knob jokes , or politics , just very good observational comedy.

You obviously missed the last but one episode of Phoenix Nights, I have both series on DVD, knob jokes was the least of it, perhaps you should watch it and see what I mean. Don't get me wrong, Phoenix Nights has me rolling about on the floor, but he made a terrible mistake in trying to take the p##s out of reality shows for 3 hours, including his badly produced and tiresome self promoting video, it was funny for the first 20 minutes, but after that it didn't work. I've discussed this with Northern pals and they are of the same opinion, the bloke is hilarious, but he is dangerously stepping over the line towards self opinionated arrogance, he needs a kick up the arse.

OK, hold up hands and say, here we go, when you're famous in this country, people seek to knock you down, in his case, he should consider the reality of what he's trying to do and be, I don't know anybody who really appreciated sunday nights programme, north, south or midlands, it was a self indulgent complicated mess, 20 minutes would have been fine, but not hours of it, interspersed with little cameos by people like Paul Macartney in an attempt to hold your attention.

Peter Kay you are brilliant, please let us see your obvious natural genius again.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hold my hand up and admit to only seeing the first half hour or so but I have the rest on tape to watch tonight

By not relying on knob jokes i am talking of his stand up (Sammy the the snake was hilarious though)

I hold my hand up and admit to only seeing the first half hour or so but I have the rest on tape to watch tonight

By not relying on knob jokes i am talking of his stand up (Sammy the the snake was hilarious though)

Does that mean that you aren't going to watch 'Sunshine' with that unexplicably allegedly funny comic genius Steve Coogan.

My favourite comedy series of the past few years which, against my principles, I have on DVD are 'Royal Family', 'Early Doors' and 'Phoenix Nights'.

The combination of Craig Cash, Caroline Ahern and Phil Mealy is fantastic, Early Doors is possibly one of the most underrated comedy series of all time.

So what happens, Cash and Mealy, with a bit of help from Caroline produce this show called Sunshine and make the grave mistake of not only releasing this bleak black comedy at a time when wer'e all struggling and miserable, but put the worlds most over-rated comedy actor, Steve Coogan in the starring role.

Craig Cash should have taken on the role himself, he just had to be his priceless, natural self, Coogan can't cope with it, just to see him trying to act with such brilliant people as Bernard Hill makes me cringe.

I admit to never understanding why Steve Coogan has got to be where he is, OK, everyones sense of humour is different, I accept that and can see why folk enjoy certain people, even that adult Timmy Mallet act lookalike called Harry Hill. But Coogan, or Partridge, or Pauline Calf, please tell me why and how he gets away with it.

If you can stomach it, the second part is on tonight, I shall be watching Jamie Oliver in Rotherham instead, at least there's a chance of some real, natural peoples humour in that.

And the chance of someone putting Jamie Olivers head in a pan of boiling water and letting it simmer for five minutes before covering it with red wine

Rog

Well we have just finished watching that Peter Kaye show and it was brilliant , we both nearly died at times from laughter. Only thing that spoiled it was the very end ,I wont spoil it for any one else that has it taped, watch and enjoy!!

PETER KAYE:

I must say that I waited with baited breath for the Peter Kaye thingy,,,, but I'm afraid I was a bit disappointed.

I am a PK fan & think he does some great great stuff,,,,, hence my anticipation.

The 'idea' was great,,,, a few great gags and obviously a lot of thought,,,, but in my eyes a bit over long,,, and dare I say it, a bit boring in places.

I rekkon an abridged version would condense the humour,,,

just an opinion,,,,,

as to J.Oliver,,,, i'll get me big pan out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My sentiments exactly Bazzer, it could have been cut down considerably, proved a point and been hilarious, to exactly follow the X Factor format was too much, didn't you forget yourself and start to think you were watching the genuine saturday night article at some point.

Why have you all got this anti Jamie Oliver thing. OK he's one of our local boys, I know his old mans pub well, his house, the windmill I tried to get planning for at the end of his field, the chapel I tried to do the same for across the road from his house, involved in designing a porch on his house, it's obviously a case of local boy done well, so there you go, we try to knock him because he's become succesful. it's the same old story isn't it as I pointed out earlier.

His programme last night had far more sincerety and genuine humour than bloody 'Sunshine', which I recorded and watched later and wished I hadn't bothered.

Yes Jamie Oliver is high profile, yes his adverts for Sainsburies make you puke, yes his attitude can wind you up sometimes, but are you telling me that his attempts at trying to get Rotherham to eat properly weren't sincere. The man doesn't need self promotion, he's got it made, it was obvious that he was putting a lot of his own money into this project, fine, he's a rich git, don't knock him for it, it was some of the people he was trying to convert, particularly the companies, that needed the critism that you have aimed at him.

Imagine, you get the chance of appearing on Olivers show, you are a company in a recession, but you are'nt prepared to put a few quid into helping your employies to cook, pathetic, out of 25 companies he approached, only 5 were prepared to put company and no doubt directors profits into achieving this goal.

Sad isn't it, what a waste of a good marketing potential, or is it that they find our Jamie too much too handle, well he doesn't mince his words does he, quite right too.

Some people ya just don’t like,,,,, there’s very often not a reason,,,, it’s just sommat gets in ya crawl.

As an ex hotelier I watch most cookery programs,,,, but can’t stand his - never did from the get go - well before the limelight hit his head.

I don’t agree with the point about sincerity either – in my mind, band-wagon & jumping spring to mind. (bit like the Jones boy & tuff cops – or whatever)

Local ! mmmm he’s also getting his feet in down here, so I have some ‘local’ knowledge of him & his antics.

Apart from his age, I ain’t bothered about his wealth or expertise in cooking. There are richer & more able cooks than him, that I admire greatly.

Would I change place with him – Yep of course I would,,,,,,, I still don’t like him,

another opinion,,,,,

Would I change place with him – Yep of course I would,,,,,,, I still don’t like him, another opinion,,,,,

A simplistic supporting summary, to the effect that many from these parts perceive him to be your archetypal Essex Git - a veritable semi-articulate version of John Terry...must confess, I rather struggle to spot this alleged sincerity.

Cheers

Robt P.

A simplistic supporting summary, to the effect that many from these parts perceive him to be your archetypal Essex Git - a veritable semi-articulate version of John Terry...must confess, I rather struggle to spot this alleged sincerity.

Cheers

Robt P.

Oh dear, I've just been up to Tescoes and been surrounded by Essex Gits, I didn't know what to do, I'd better ask that nice man Gordon Ramsey for his advice. well he's a Scottish tosser, same thing isn't it, even worse, an even greater self opinionated pillock, trouble is, he has many Michelin stars so it makes it ok, does'nt it.

I've worked in a kitchen too, the food was palatable but uninspiring, it's about time that the restaraunt industry in this country was given a kick up the backside. they deserve it.

Good grub can be produced at reasonable prices, but we get swamped with adverts for those poisoners called McDonalds, don't go there, yes, your kids get sucked into the advertisement dilema, it's difficult to ignore, their current campaign makes us puke, don't be fooled, seek out somewhere else, our chipoil in the town is fantastic.

I have got 4 music on in the background ,and they have just played the Peter Kaye track from Saturday night "Winners Song " , god it sounds just like a Gary Barlow song if you know what I mean.

Looks a good bet for a number one !!!!!

Well if it is you can bet your bottom dollar that Peter Kaye will give the money to Children in need again, so fair play to him if he does.!!

I have got 4 music on in the background ,and they have just played the Peter Kaye track from Saturday night "Winners Song " , god it sounds just like a Gary Barlow song if you know what I mean.

Looks a good bet for a number one !!!!!

I hope not, though I get the impression from people that Mr Kaye may have shot himself in his self-indulgent foot this time, lets hope so, it will do him good and teach him a lesson which he thoroughly deserves. I find Simon Cowell in the real thing more entertaining at the moment, it's not p##s taking humour either.

Just because people give money to charity doesn't mean they are neccessarily good guys either, does he advertise the fact that he does this, or is it very subtely done.

Enough of Peter Kaye, it's sunday, It's a Wakey Wakey thread.

Can anyone remember the general light programme order of things on a sunday in the early 60's.

Was Childrens Favourites ever broadcast on a sunday morning, can't remember.

We had a church service that went on for what seemed hours, Two Way Family Favourites at 12, Billy Cotton at 1:00 for an hour, then the comedy shows for a couple of hours, then what, Max Jaffa?can't remember. I know that Sing Something Simple with the Mike Sammes Singers was on at 7:00, it went on for years and even drove my parents mad, the old man referred to it as Sing Something Rotten. Then we were relieved to be able to listen to Radio Luxembourg which appeared at 7:30, during our traditional sunday night of family card and board games, did anyone else do that.

You may not know it, but despite their dire appearances on Sing Something Simple, The Mike Sammes Singers actually sang backing vocals on I Am The Walrus, possibly one of the greatest Beatle tracks of them all, it must have been wierd for them to do the family sunday stuff then sing behind an acid deranged John Lennon, it happened again on the Beatles White Album when they did backing vocals for another Lennon song, Good Night, sung by Ringo but released as a single by Vera Lynn. No doubt George Martin dragged them in from a studio next door and recorded them seperately, but who knows, they may well have been sat on the roof at Abbey Road, having some 'tea' with the boys.

Quite frankly, Radio 2 on a sunday, the Light Programmes replacement, is pretty awfull these days as far as I'm concerned. Thank God they brought in the great Johnny Walker on a sunday evening to liven the programmes up, pity he wasn't on all day.

Thats bought back some memories, sing something simple was a cue for me to get my school home work done ready for Monday morning, no chance of being distracted by the type of music they were likely to be playing, in saying that though my dad used to love listening to the program

Rog

Enough of Peter Kaye, it's sunday, It's a Wakey Wakey thread.

I know that Sing Something Simple with the Mike Sammes Singers was on at 7:00, it went on for years and even drove my parents mad, the old man referred to it as Sing Something Rotten

Don''t know what your problem is , you don't like him , Millions of others do !! and he does one hell of a lot for charity (Any none singer that can be responsible for three number ones and then donate away every penny is ok by me .)

Oh and by the way it was the "Cliffe Adams singers" on Sing something simple

Don''t know what your problem is , you don't like him , Millions of others do !! and he does one hell of a lot for charity (Any none singer that can be responsible for three number ones and then donate away every penny is ok by me .)

Lets not fall out about this mate, it's the Bolton Syndrome, he should have put his money into keeping the memory of Boltons, and the countries undeniably greatest hero, Fred Dibnah alive, and he didn't, he could have done something to help, promoted what has happened to poor Freds heritage, but no, nothing, it wouldn't have taken much to do it would it, without taking the p1$$ either. It's all gone up the tubes while Kayes ego is getting out of control.

If you had unlimited funds and Winsfords or Nottinghams memory of the late, but greatest local hero had got problems, wouldn't you help to keep his heritage alive, probably, but not Mr Kaye it seems.

Thats what hurts me.

I have relatives in Lancashire and friends in Yorkshire, we are all of the same opinion about him, he's taken the p1$$ out of Tony Christie, who hasn't got a clue about that, and admittedly made money for charity as a result, but we are now faced with the fact that we have a naff pub singer who thinks he's great, along with the media, because Peter Kaye alledgedly thinks he's great, so thats alright then.

Do you seriously think it's amusing to present a band called 2 Up and 2 Down and take the mickey out of people in wheelchairs, I think not, I'm certainly not a PC person, but his representation of someone in a wheelchair in Phoenix Nights was all part of the acceptable act, it was individual, thats as far as it went, but to show that girl writhing about on the floor because she had fallen off the stool and couldn't help herself was really sick, that was the point at which my missus walked out the room, didn't blame her either.

Humour takes many forms, p1$$ taking is fine, but to base your act on it to the extreme limits ceases to be amusing anymore, thats what the entire show was based on, nothing more, nothing less. Just because you give money to charity, or rather appear to do so, doesn't neccesarily make you a brilliant performer either, he gives out money with one hand while biting the hand that feeds him with the other, that won't last long will it.

You've done it again Firbeck , "Lets not fall out about it " then you go off on some stupid tirade about Peter Kaye paying for the rememberance of Fred Dibnah!!! It beggars belief

For example should Torville and Dean be responsible for a memorial to Leslie Crowther ?? or Robin Hood for that matter ??

You've done it again Firbeck , "Lets not fall out about it " then you go off on some stupid tirade about Peter Kaye paying for the rememberance of Fred Dibnah!!! It beggars belief

For example should Torville and Dean be responsible for a memorial to Leslie Crowther ?? or Robin Hood for that matter ??

No, you don't get the point.

There's no comparison between Leslie Crowther, Robin Hood and Fred Dibnah.

Wer'e talking of a high profile personality here, who's programmes are constantly shown on TV, while the workshop where he shows his 'Deemonsterations' has been ransacked, thieved and vandalised, and the remains of which are about to go on the open market.

There's been absolutely no publicity about this on the national media, the TV programmes are continued to be shown, but the great workshop no longer exists because the local Bolton bloody council were not prepared to do anything about saving it, probably too busy handing out grants for places of worship to certain denominations.

They were reticent about his statue as well and did nothing about that.

OK, it's not Peter Kays fault, but he should be aware of whats happening to one of Boltons other geniuses, I can't believe he hasn't noticed.

As far as I'm concerned, Dibnah was a great man, admitedly out of his time, and it hurts me too see what has happened, I just feel that rather than waste his time on useless, has-beens like Tony Christie, which after all is just a p1$$ take anyway, as Boltons current greatest son, Peter Kay should be doing something about his honourable fellow townie before it's too late, though I rather think it is, but he hasn't.

Robin Hood doesn't need publicity, Leslie Crowther doesn't deserve it anyway, miserable sod, yes I met him once, that was enough, perhaps if Torville and Dean came from Bolton they may well have had a real conscience about the memory of one of their ruined colleagues and done something about it, I wouldn't be surprised, but their position in the entertainment business wasn't based on taking the p1$$ was it, I wouldn't be surprised if Mr Kay saw Freds demise as a good opening for his next comedy act, he must have some reason for not doing so already, perhaps we'll find out that he did indeed pay for the statue, it would be nice to be proved wrong and found out that he did.

Come on, if you were Beefy, the greatest comedian Nottingham had ever produced, wouldn't you be prepared to support the memory of another great star of the city whose still promoted late life had been destroyed, I bet you would, I know I'd do it.

To answer in a word, NO!!

Do you want an explanation?

If his own family can't be arsed , why should I ?

And as for 2 up 2 down , you wouldn't recognise satire if it bit you on the bum, he was having a pop at the tossers who go on these reality shows and try to get sympathy with their pathetic sob stories.