More Music Trivia

Guest Anne

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good old Billy Cotton I had forgotten all about him. I remember listening to him,[among others ]on our little radio in the kitchen when we lived on Ryehill St.

Caz

• 3 months later...

Hi Den10

No didn't realise that. Wasn't radio Luxembourg for the funky young thing's though?? Don't think Billy Cotton would have fit in to that category do you??

I used to listen to Radio Luxembourg as a child, I was always having to baby sit my gran who lived upstairs in our house on Ryehill st, it must have been very boring for a young kid, so dad must have given me a radio & I remember scouring the dial for something to listen to, lo & behold I found 208!! I really used to get lost in my own little world listening to that station & the DJ's,Stuart Henry, Kid [dave] Jenson who later went on to radio Trent in Nottingham, to name just 2. The world just isn't the same anymore,radio really was magical in those days,god know's what we would have done without it,probably killed each other or died of boredom. :(

Radio 208 luxemburge was a big life saver, I used to listen to it on our camp radio when I was in the army and on guard duty notic you used to live ryehill street when i lived bell street 50s [off orange st] delivered papers from muskum ?? street paper shop all round that area

Remember all those Sunday afternoon shows on the Beeb? Family Favourites, The Navy Lark, Hancocks Half Hour etc etc ......

And worrabaht Workers Playtime, coming to you from Blackdykes Mills Canteen with yours truly Eric Morcombe and Ernie Wise........Them were the days... :rolleyes:

And Daphne the Glums were in Take it From Here, weren't they?

Jimmy Clitheroe was my favorite,I was so surprised when I eventually saw him & he was a grown man.

• 9 months later...

Talking about old radio progs - anyone remember Jimmy Clitheroe (the Clitheroe Kid) or the Navy lark with Leslie Phillips and how about a ventrilquist on the radio - Archie Andrews with Peter brough - wow showing me age now!

Jimmy Clitheroe was my favorite,I was so surprised when I eventually saw him & he was a grown man.

We had a bloke at British Gypsum, the mines resident comedian who told me once he lived in the same village as Jimmy Clitheroe at one time. He said he nearly smacked the conceted little dickhead in the village pub. He told me he had never met anyone so conceted as Jimmy Clitheroe.

Don't say much for the little feller off stage does it?

• 2 weeks later...

Archie Andrews !!!!!! ably supported by Peter Brough- probably the best ventriloquist on the radio - well could never see his lips move on our set!

Alan

archie1.jpg

There are certain things that you cannot have on the wireless. Trapeze artists, Ballet, Origami and Ventriloquists. As improbable as it may sound one of the most popular programmes started on 6th June 1950. Educating Archie was born. In fact the wireless was the best medium for Peter Brough the ventriloquist, because when he made his rare appearances on the television, every body could see his lips move, so back to the wireless.

In 1951, Archie was kidnapped, millions followed the story in the press as if it was a real child. The person responsible sent an anonymous note saying Archie could be found at the Lost Property Office at Kings Cross Station. Archie made his last broadcast in 1958.

Image & Text Courtesy Radio Fun

You are of course, right again Alan :rolleyes:

Think it was the Archie Andrews show but I'm not sure,Pet Clarke was in it too.

Remember Dick Barton-special agent also Journey into Space,that was my fave.

IIRC, it was 'Educating Archie'...

Another regular performer with Archie was Avril Angers, who passed away within the last few weeks.

Memories of 'Dick Barton - Special Agent' were said to have been a factor in the later success of the James Bond stories.

'Journey into Space' terrified all the kids in Britain!

Many a sleepless night for me...

Nevertheless, to miss an episode was considered something of a disaster!

Cheers

Robt P.

• 9 months later...

...and speaking of famous Band Leaders, how many can remember one of Nottingham's finest-Cyril Stapleton, who was really big late40's and 50's. I last saw him in 1972 at the Royal Free Hospital in London, 2 years before he died at the age of 59yrs. in 1974.

There is a photo of him on the 'picture the past' web site(NTGM009553.jpg) Incidentally another famous character is on the photo also.

CYRIL STAPLETON(1914-1974)

During the 1950s and 1960s, Cyril Stapleton was a well-known orchestra leader in Britain and overseas, thanks to his regular BBC broadcasts and his many recordings. He was born on 31 December 1914 at Mapperley, Nottingham, in the east midlands of England. At the age of seven he began learning the violin, and when only 12 he made his first broadcast from 5NG, the local radio station in Nottingham. Thereafter he broadcast regularly from the BBC Studios in Birmingham, then went to Czechoslovakia to study under Sevcik, the famous teacher of the violin.

...and whilst on the subject of Educating Archie how many of you can remember the 14 yearold girl with the 4 octave range voice who appeared in 1950-52 on the show ( Julia Elizabeth Wells born October 1, 1935, in Surrey, U.K.

...and what about other famous people on the show... !tanning!