Reading Bygones mag about pubs of St Ann's it stated that Alf and May Stone keep the Blue Bell on Alford St South but befor that my husbands uncle Bill and aunt Mary Haywood were landlord/landlady (can any one remember them) if Bill used to go down the celler to change a barrel a record used to go on the Juke box " Im glad all over" you remember the one where you have to stamp your feet as hard as you can Bills voice used to come up from the celler "Give it a bleeding rest will yu or you'l have the celing down on me". When he came up from the celler he was always coverd in white wash. Bill and Mary had 3 daughters Bill passed away in South Afica and Mary returned back to the UK.

Still on the subject of the Blue Bell can any one remember Ray Larving I saw in the Evening Post that it is 27years since he passed away does'ent time go fast.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

hi pixie .its about past history off nottingham going back about 100 odd years .get a copy you will like it.

Whilst in Nottingham last week, I picked up the latest Bygones , dated April 29th the one with Cloughie on the cover . There is a feature of pubs of St Anns featuring Sir Colin Campbell pub . Also a piece about the history of lace .

Theres also letters about the previous issues feature on Alvin Lee and one from the lead singer of Jonathan Kane and the Freemen which is a name I remember from Digby dances .

Shame the Post don't put Bygones online .

I live in Australia and I along with many others have the Bygones delivered monthly and over the past few months we have noticed that many of the stories are of war and less of the readers stories that we find more interesting than the stories they have been printing, what do you and others readers thank ? I know of over 30 readers that have the bygones delivered and feel the same.

Bill used to go down the cellar to change a barrel a record used to go on the Juke box " Im glad all over" you remember the one where you have to stamp your feet as hard as you can Bills voice used to come up from the celler "Give it a bleeding rest will yu or you'l have the celing down on me". When he came up from the celler he was always coverd in white wash.

The big foot stomper of Dave Clarks was 'Bits and Pieces' banned from many dance halls because the girls stiletos were marking the floors.

I buy this paper very rarely as there is only about 10% content of the front page subject. Very disappointing.

I buy Bygones regularly and on the whole enjoy the "lookbacks". Sometimes though it is not worth buying because as you say the amount of features relating to the main picture are not very much. I've not bought the last 2 issues as on looking through them I didn't think they were worth buying. I agree that they ought to have more reminiscing from readers but is the reason people aren't contributing much sometimes?

I agree that they ought to have more reminiscing from readers but is the reason people aren't contributing much sometimes?

I suppose it's also due to the ever-decreasing number of people who can contribute or reminisce. They are either no longer around, or their memory isn't what it used to be ! The audience for the "good old days" is permanently shrinking.

I don't very often see Bygones, but I presume that - if they haven't already - they will have to start looking back at the 70s and 80s because people born in those years will soon be the new "oldies".

• Upvote 2

The big foot stomper of Dave Clarks was 'Bits and Pieces' banned from many dance halls because the girls stiletos were marking the floors.

Thanks

poohbear

it must be an age thing when you can't remember name's of song's.

I do believe you can subscribe on-line now to Bygones, 70p a copy. Saw it advertised somewhere when last over there.

Speaking of Dave Clark Five, we recently had a 2 hour program on him on the telly. It was very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I get every Bygones published. It's not all interesting to me but I love to read it.

........And I'm feeling (bump bump ) glad all over...............

Enigma.

I've got this info about the cinema from a website some years ago but can't remember the site. Hope it's of some use to you

HIGHBURY / HIGHBURY VALE CINEMA 197 Highbury Vale Opened Monday Boxing Day 1921 - If I Were King. Prop., Highbury Cinema Ltd. 1,100 seats (800 stalls+300 circle). Mgr. Frank Gill. Prices, 6d, 9d 1s. Mats. Mon & Sat. Generated own electricity. Bijou orchestra. WE sound by September 1929. Later mgr. Joseph Jarvis. 1950 prices, 9d to 1/9d. CinemaScope c.May 1955. 903 seats. Closed Saturday 31st March OR 7th April 1962 - Wuthering Heights. Converted to store - frontage altered.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Latest Bygones covers "Going Back To The 1980's". Some interesting photos including the now gone "Pearsons"store on Long Row - Demoltion of Carrington Street Station - "Burton's" on Smithy Row - Aerial view of "Noel Street/Gregory Bvld" - shops on Carlton Hill where a Tesco was built etc. Good 75p worth

• 1 year later...