Most saddened by that...thanks for the news.

Didn't know that he was ill......

Got to know Bill quite well through playing and umpiring local cricket...

He played with Boots CC at Lady Bay, for many years.

Lovely bloke, and a great character.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 9 months later...

Very sad!! - Bill used to play for Lenton United CC and was wicketkeeper from memory, he played with my Dad 1985-1988 from memory.

For anyone in the local cricket leagues back then or even now (Notts Amateur) may know my Dad - Frank Brown!

My grandad played for Lenton united CC a lot before the 80,s though , he died in 81,Cyril Hawtin was his name

Watched Billy Brindley through his career with Notts and always admired him. A bit of an unsung hero he was always dependable through the seasons and a bit underrated I thought. He was one of those players who actually seemed to get better as he got older.

There are some great accounts of him in Dave McVay's book, Steak, Diana Ross - a book that I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone with an interest in Nottingham football. McVay gives some hilarious accounts into life at Meadow Lane in the seventies and often mention's Billy's egg-round which he helped him with.

Great stuff.

I used to live down the same terrace as John, Brussels Terrace in The Meadows, I can remember him coming home from playing for England under 19 I think and seeing his shirt and trying his England cap on.He was the most consistant player I have seen for Notts although I knew him, his sister Janice died not long after him.

• 3 weeks later...
For anyone in the local cricket leagues back then or even now (Notts Amateur) may know my Dad - Frank Brown!

Penny has just dropped on this one...

I knew your dad, and played against him many times for Paviors v Lenton United.

Also knew ex Notts batsman the late Mick Haynes, who played alongside side him for the very strong 60's/70's Lenton side.

IIRC, your Dad was a more than useful seam/swing bowler, aided by his stocky build...

Tell him Bob Pollard of Paviors sends his regards.

Cheers

Robt P.