northern baths-then and now

i've been meaning to do something like this for a while now. i found the older pics on picturethepast. i learned to swim here in the early 70's. we used to walk up from southwark junior school, then later i used to catch a bus along vernon road (from the shoulder of mutton as it was then, now macdonalds) going under the old railway bridge to get off at henry mellish

NTGM010484.jpg

standardandnorthernbaths001.jpg

hasn't changed much huh!

Thanks for your pictures.....

Stirred some memories, as I also learnt to swim there...but 20 years before you!

How long has it been closed/boarded up now ?

Could be 10 years, or more

Are any of the older Edwardian inner-city swimming baths [Noel Street, Muskham Street, Northern Baths, Victoria Baths etc] still in use, I wonder?

I can only think of the more modern structure at Beechdale, and the one at Mucky 'Uckna...

Cheers

Robt P.

The mucky Ucknal baths have gone replace with a shiney new Tram car park.....went to those baths in the early seventies while i lived at Ucknal. never thought then to take a picture 'bu99er!

Bip.

Just beyond bridge was Highbury Hospital where my daughter was born.

wish i had a pound for every time i passed under said bridge.

i beleive too that the more recent picture was taken from Catchems corner with the pub behind one.

Bip.

Ayup all,

Great pictures and bought back many memories of my visits to Grannies every Saturday in Bulwell, I did hear that the council sold the baths off to a storage company then rented them back for council property to be stored in???? make sense to someone I suppose

Rog

right on black ice! except i didnt get out my car so the catchems is sort of next to me.

zacsmum, whereabouts? i had a mate who lived in the next but one house to dobby bridge. i myself lived at gayhurst green until 1979

• 2 weeks later...

no, believe it or not his name was juan! he had an elder brother called sean. when was your son in law at gayhurst green? i lived at number 12 from about 1971 to 1979.

also have you seen my standard of england thread?

small world indeed!

in that case do you have a son called ian? his sister moved into our old house sometime (if not directly) after us, and if so that also means me and you have met previously. does your son in law remember the rockery in the back garden? me and my dad put it together with stones "liberated" from a wall off the old railway cuttings

i must be getting mixed up! thinking about it, if you were ians mum at that time they lived at the back of vernon park. the reason i ask is because i went babysitting in number 12 after we left, for ian's sister (juan was there too, but the girls we invited blew us out!) but this could well have been later in the early 80's. i then did'nt set foot on that estate (although i still lived local and drove by thousands of times) till a couple of yours ago when i did some work at my aunt dolls house which was on stoneycroft road. it was a saturday morning and to be back there after 25 years was quite eerie, i almost expected to hear tiswas on the tv and to see the old estate kids knocking about

a life on mars moment for sure!

plus the two lads who came by croggy-ing on a bike, one of them shouted to me "do you want a go mister!" and of course i replied "i was doing that here since before you were born kid"

.........i feel so old!

• 1 year later...

I like the then and now pics. Sometimes places have changed so much it's hard to picture where it is.

Not this one though. I can still just remember the railway arch there.

Anyone know what the plans are for Northern Baths? It's such a unique building it'd be shocking if it were bull dozed. It's been boarded up a long time now, wonder what it's like inside.

• 6 months later...

I used to go swimming there with school ( henry mellish ..just up the road )....I remember it was the first baths i ever saw with the water polo nets hanging up in the roof......got a dinner time job in the chippy just up the road too.

Used to go swimming there. It also used to be home to Northern Swimming Club.

zab - I've not long been on this forum so I've only just seen your post. It was indeed the home to Northern SC which started on August 27th 1908 one week after the baths opened. Some of the present day members, me included, went to have a group photo taken outside the baths exactly 100 years later. I am still in possession of the first minute book from 1908. The Club was formed by a Mr J E Pendleton who was a councillor at the time and he became the first chairman.

• 1 year later...

Hello.

In about 1949 I was a player in the Northern Baths water polo team at the moment I only have contact with one of the old players he was the Goal keeper and I know of three who have died.

This is my first attempt on here so hope the information given is enough for further conversation.

Enclosed, I hope, a photo of the team. Sorry no luck with photo, anybody know how I can.

Mick.

Mick

To post a photo in one of these threads you need to have an account (free) with one of the picture-hosting sites like Flickr or Photobucket.

Set up an account there, upload your photo to it, and then link it back to here. (Not as difficult as it might sound)