northern baths-then and now

Thanks Cliff. Allthough I do lots on the Computer includeing Video editing some things I am very thick on but have a Son in Law who teachers about Computers in Secodery Schools, Hes Cornish so must be clever compared to me born in Bulwell and an ex Radford Colliery Coal face worker.

I look forward to downloading the picture of the Northern Baths water polo team and hope it jogs peoples memory or knowledge of same.

Thanks again

Mick Fenner.

Mick

Look out for Ayup (John) you might know him?

Mick

Now you have me thinking and looking amongst members brought up no results so how do I "look out" for him?

Confused Mick.

One of our Admin team is called "John" , his user name on here is "Ayupmeducks" He's an ex sparky from the pit scene in that area!!

Thanks Cliff. Allthough I do lots on the Computer includeing Video editing some things I am very thick on but have a Son in Law who teachers about Computers in Secodery Schools, Hes Cornish so must be clever compared to me born in Bulwell and an ex Radford Colliery Coal face worker.

I look forward to downloading the picture of the Northern Baths water polo team and hope it jogs peoples memory or knowledge of same.

Thanks again

Mick Fenner.

Look forward to seeing the photo Mick, being a member of nnsc.

Look forward to seeing the photo Mick, being a member of nnsc.

Hello.

Hope this helps and I can remember all of them some I am afraid not alive now.

Mick Fenner. post-3049-023216300 1288361178_thumb.jpg

Hello.

Hope this helps and I can remember all of them some I am afraid not alive now.

Mick Fenner. post-3049-023216300 1288361178_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mick

I already have a copy of the photo as about 2 years ago (the Club's centenary) I was attempting to put together a history of Northern Swimming Club. I did manage to contact a couple of ex members, Pete Presbury and Roy Copley, to name two but didn't receive enough info to do the job justice. If you have anything that's worth scanning it might help me to re-kindle the desire for a fresh attempt.

regards

Chris

• 3 months later...

It was by chance that something prompted me to see if I could find out what had happened to my old Swimming Club Nottingham Northern. I came across " Northern Baths then and now".

I was a club member from 1959 to 1962 and was vice captain of the Junior Boys Swimming and Water Polo teams.

I too remember Pete Presbury and Roy Copley, Roy being the one who used to ferry those of us without transport to away matches.

As I remember things, the Junior Polo Team was Jim Hickling (capt), Mick Storer(vice capt) Pete Wood, Dave Newton, Keith Swaby, Stuart Buck, Phil Gell and Tony Whittaker.

Jim Hickling used to do the match reports that appeared weekly in the local newspaper "The Bulwell Despatch".

There was an unspoken rivalry between him and me as to who would score the most goals in a season. He was centre forward, I was right wing.It was always pretty close exceeding 20 goals each.

As far as the girls were concerned those I remember were Mary Hickling (Jims sister) Barbara and Margaret Wood (Petes sisters) and Elizabeth Turner (her parents owned Turners Chemists at the Bulwell end of Highbury Vale).

As we played in the Nottinghamshire league this invoved travelling away to places such as Retford and Worksop and, closer to home, Hucknall (Notts Falcons). Some clubs had swimming teams only. One club in the league was Newark and although I well remember playing against them at home I don't recall ever going to Newark.

One person who could be easily overlooked (but without whom none of us could have enjoyed the facilities we did) was the pool caretaker, a chap by the name of Bert Rainer (Rayner?).He was the one who cleaned out the cubicles between sessions, made sure the scum troughs were clean and ensured the boilers were up and working. He could have a gruff attitude at times but when you got to know him he was a pussycat really.

I hope the above promps a few peoples memories and adds to what you already have Chris.

Mick (Mike as I now prefer)

• 1 month later...

Went past the Baths the other day...Theres a big sign on the outside now saying its now a church.....does this mean theyve filled the bath in...or are they all walking on water ???

Could be used as a font, some of these religious types like to be fully immersed in water during their baptism, or maybe they could try to turn the water into wine!!

Then again perhaps Greene King could use the baths as a giant Vat and just pipe the amber nectar straight to the Oakley lodge club

Rog

Now there's an idea.!!

Could you imagine falling in one and drowning , what a way to go !!

(mind you, I'd have to get out a few times for a pee !!)

rotfl.gif

Good old Willie Taplow !!!

And you , outside the Poonam on the odd occation (Although it was usually the curry you were fed up of renting ..............LOL)

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

It was by chance that something prompted me to see if I could find out what had happened to my old Swimming Club Nottingham Northern. I came across " Northern Baths then and now".

I was a club member from 1959 to 1962 and was vice captain of the Junior Boys Swimming and Water Polo teams.

I too remember Pete Presbury and Roy Copley, Roy being the one who used to ferry those of us without transport to away matches.

As I remember things, the Junior Polo Team was Jim Hickling (capt), Mick Storer(vice capt) Pete Wood, Dave Newton, Keith Swaby, Stuart Buck, Phil Gell and Tony Whittaker.

Jim Hickling used to do the match reports that appeared weekly in the local newspaper "The Bulwell Despatch".

There was an unspoken rivalry between him and me as to who would score the most goals in a season. He was centre forward, I was right wing.It was always pretty close exceeding 20 goals each.

As far as the girls were concerned those I remember were Mary Hickling (Jims sister) Barbara and Margaret Wood (Petes sisters) and Elizabeth Turner (her parents owned Turners Chemists at the Bulwell end of Highbury Vale).

As we played in the Nottinghamshire league this invoved travelling away to places such as Retford and Worksop and, closer to home, Hucknall (Notts Falcons). Some clubs had swimming teams only. One club in the league was Newark and although I well remember playing against them at home I don't recall ever going to Newark.

One person who could be easily overlooked (but without whom none of us could have enjoyed the facilities we did) was the pool caretaker, a chap by the name of Bert Rainer (Rayner?).He was the one who cleaned out the cubicles between sessions, made sure the scum troughs were clean and ensured the boilers were up and working. He could have a gruff attitude at times but when you got to know him he was a pussycat really.

I hope the above promps a few peoples memories and adds to what you already have Chris.

Mick (Mike as I now prefer)

I think I knew a Roy Copley , would he be my age now 79

Danny33

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Northern Baths closed down years ago and is now used as a place of worship. 

The white building on the left of the picture is gone now too, and the site now has house built on it. It used to be the offices (I think it was offices) of the motorcycle makers Brough who had their factory on Haydn Road. In the early 1900s Brough was a famous manufacturer of motorcycles. The famous Lawrence of Arabia was a fan of Brough motorcycles and owned eight! Unfortunately he was killed on a Brough Superiour in 1935 while not wearing a crash helmet.