He had glasses like milk bottle bottoms, and always had his desk positioned where he could see the girls legs.

I remember him calling two boys out for talking. He gave them a piece of paper each, telling them to write the number of strokes of the cane they wanted.

The firs boy handed in the paper with the figure 1. He got 1 stroke of the cane.

The second boy gave in his paper with 0 written on it, and was promptly told to go and sit down.

Chambers always used to say that "Heaven for a dog was a belly full of P***, and a street full of lampposts"

He wasn’t such a bad teacher either as far as I remember.

• 10 months later...

I remember him, the only teacher that could write on the blackboard and keep his other eye on the class. If he caught you messing about he would get you to put your hands on the cross bar of the blackboard and swish his cane. He would then put his hand in his pocket pull out a penny flip it and ask you' Head or Tails' if you got it right you were set back to your seat. I also remember someday he would say we're not having any English today and would read stories from a book, he was a very good characrter reader.

Oh god Yes, my partner & I both remember him very well. He was quite old even then,he smoked a pipe I think?? he had a bit of a reputation though...........say no more,someone may be watching & listening ;)

What about Paul Irons anyone remember him?? his dad was a JP. I loved him & so did all the girls, he was very good at getting the kids on his side,all above board of course. If we did as we were told he would let us take our records to school & play them in one of the rooms at TBS,oh my god did we think that was the tops. It was like a mini disco, & at lunch time too! I met him years later just before I was married, he was very good friends with my ex-mother-in-law who was also a teacher & I was so embarrassed,well you were weren't you? we never believed teachers were normal like us did we?? Lol :lol:

• 11 months later...

:Kiss: thanks for that caz, what a memory you have if only i had gone to TBS, then i too would have had such vivid memories...

but alas i was pointed in the direction of william sharp comprehensive, besides it would have meant me getting up at five, for the eight mile walk to TBS and my mum couldn't have afforded the bus fare anyway...............

all my life i've had one disapointment after another.............. !rotfl!

Poor Den, always with the disappointments,my heart bleeds for you. I've had a few disappointments in my life but I don't remember them lol !! !secret!

Caz Posted on Apr 6 2006, 12:44 PM

Poor Den, always with the disappointments,my heart bleeds for you. I've had a few disappointments in my life but I don't remember them lol !! 

:Kiss: That's because your p1ssed for most of the time. lips0 !rotfl!

• 1 month later...

;) I was told the other night while i was chatting up the bar maid in me local that if i harked on the past for too long i would turn into a old foggy, look here i said just because i'm going grey around the edges doesn't mean i'm past me best, you just have to look at my sell by date to realise that... wereno1

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I remember Chambers very well! i Was misbehaving in his class and he called me to the front to get the cane, there was a big fireplace in the classroom and I had to bend down can put my head in the fireplace! There was'nt a fire, then he canned my backside which made me jump and I banged my head as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Chambers took us for R.E canned me a lot for one thing or another,but to my surprise when I left school he gave me a really good report,teachers I suppose were all ok the just behaved in a manner that was expected at that time ,their way helped some kids excel ,I hated it and fought it all my school life and it made me anti authoritarian,and made me form other opinions on everything which is probably why I have only read one book in my life that book was Kes ,a book a.d film I thought portrayed the real world.

If your going to to read one that's a good one.

If there were more teachers like Chambers and his ilk kids would grow up better, more disciplined.

• Upvote 1

He got me into books & persuaded me to join the library on Wilford Cres/Wilford Grove. He said "most information & knowledge is in books, if they haven't got the book you want order it!" (it was free for kids to order books back then) So I did & became a book nerd. I got the cane of him a few times, usually for acting daft..

• Upvote 1