While Saturdays was always the Locarno it was Colemans on Sunday. No alcohol allowed unless you were cute enough to sneak something in. Music was always up to date and record

I remember was Joe Brown's Picture of You.

yes colemans used to meet up with some of the girls from wood bestows (Clifton ltd.) in the back room of the crystal palace,, we would have a few drinks and then go to colemans. it used to get bloody hot in there sometimes , Even now I can see all those lovely lasses dancing around their handbags. looking very desirable I remember a couple of records I used to like to hear in there was mirror mirror pickertons assorted colours and surf city,,, what a smashing thread ,many cracking memories.

• Like 1

Yes, I remember it was Locarno or Palais on a Saturday night and Colemans on a Sunday - I had some great times there............

I have two very different memories of Colemans

- one, meeting my little sister after her Saturday morning dancing lesson (I think I heard them playing Cathy's Clown by the Everly Brothers)

- two, going twice in the 70s to see 2 groups - Dr Feelgood and Gong

• 1 year later...

I remember Colmans as being a Northern Soul venue around 74/75 I think on a Thursday night. there is a reunion taking place somewhere soon but I'm not interested as I prefer my memories. 

• 2 years later...

Hi 

Colmans was a little before my time but I  do remember hearing about it in the mid seventies,  I was wondering if there's anyone out there who frequented the club in 1973 ,74 times and was up on all the events that took place in that time ?  I would really love to hear from, please message me calvin.anderson

Kind regards 

I spent lots of time at Colemans.  My friend used to go out with their son. Can't remember his name.

Enid and Aubrey separated or divorced and Enid went on to the Thurland hall  with her new partner.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Perhaps she'd like to ketchup with you after all those years.:biggrin:

Don't think so, Phil.  Never saw her again from the day I hit the road.  Don't even know if she's still alive.  She was a genuine, nice gal.  I regret the way it ended and would apologize over my attitude if I could, but some sleeping dogs are best left lying.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I was having lunch recently with two friends who both worked at Shipstones Brewery years ago. Enid Colman's name cropped up and one of my friends recalled that she was a favoured customer of Shipstones to the extent that, on the rare occasions when she paid a visit, the boss really pushed the boat out.  Her favourite flowers were known to be red gladioli and my friend recalled being sent into town on the bus to gather as many of these as she could find since the boss wanted to present them to Enid when she arrived that afternoon.

Well. It was February and though my friend scoured every florist and market stall she didn't find a single gladiolus, red or otherwise. She returned to Shipstones empty-handed and, presumably, her boss wasn't a gardener or he'd have known better than to send her on the mission in the first place.

I remember Shipstone's offices from when we did their audit in the early 60's. The floors were highly polished parquet, very slippery and dangerous to walk on. All their records were handwritten in copperplate. No mechanised accounting in those days for them. They did deliver a crate of ale to the audit room at 11a.m every day which was most welcome!