Mode of tranport, pre skateboard?

Ayup Mick,

Yep I remember them, Trollies or soap carts, Used to go to Trickets down Meadow lane to scrounge or buy some old pram wheels, knock the back gate to bits to provide the frame and pinch some nails off me grandad to put it all together, oh and the bolt for the steering pivot and washing line for the steering. We had to bend the nails over the axles and into the planks of wood to secure the wheels on. Would you get away with "driving" one of these on the pavement today I wonder?

Rog

Ayup Mick,

Would you get away with "driving" one of these on the pavement today I wonder?

Rog

No problem considering every other form of transport uses the Pavements these days. Sometimes the pavement gets that congested one has to step into on coming traffic just to make room for them. :Fool:

Spent many a happy day playing on my trolly, such nottstalgia. :yahoo:

Bip. :yahoo:

• 1 year later...
Ayup Mick,

Yep I remember them, Trollies or soap carts, Used to go to Trickets down Meadow lane to scrounge or buy some old pram wheels, knock the back gate to bits to provide the frame and pinch some nails off me grandad to put it all together, oh and the bolt for the steering pivot and washing line for the steering. We had to bend the nails over the axles and into the planks of wood to secure the wheels on. Would you get away with "driving" one of these on the pavement today I wonder?

Rog

wow trollies yeh remember getting the poker red hot in the fire so you could burn a hole through the plank for ya steering bolt......can remember too the binmen striking and we would use our trollies to cart the bins over to the brickyard.....5 bob a throw

I went down Gordon Road on one of them with me Grans dog following on behind me!

Fell off one and cracked my head open (Never been the same since)

hehehe...

I loved them, we used to flatten baked bean tins to nail on the axles, some posh lads would cruise by with theirs carpeted...happy days before £1.16 a litre of diesel...

Baked Beans?

Carpets?

You must have lived in a posh area, i didn't see a carpet until i was 16.

Then e ad t nick it

• 2 years later...

Hey trollies yes but dont forget the roller skates!!!!

!englandflag! I had some really posh rollerskates, circa 1960, they were made by 'Davis'? and had rubber 'brakes' just under the toeplate at the front, any one remember this type of skate? I think they may have been imports !cheers!

Couldnt afford two roller skates so i had to manage with just one, the left foot, but that didnt matter as i am a lefty anyway !rotfl!

Couldnt afford two roller skates so i had to manage with just one, the left foot, but that didnt matter as i am a lefty anyway !rotfl!

When we had only one skate left,(one always broke first) we'd get a board, or an old Beano/Dandy?Eagle annual to sit on, put in on the skate & career down Amersham Rise (Aspley)...................... pieinface , dangerous toys for dangerous boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slywink

• 10 years later...

It doesn't look unlike me, PP! I think it's a boy, though. I once put a photo of me, aged 3, on here as my avatar, showing a curly headed tot with her mouth wide open (my father used to say he'd never seen my mouth closed!) screaming because she hated being photographed. She still does!

The roller skates were my sister's passion, not mine. It's not her. She had sleek, straight black hair and looked like a very young Audrey Hepburn!