Got a problem, wondering if anyone can help?

A mate of mine scanned the M&Q Act for me, sent me the pages as jpeg attachments. Now I want to put the whole Act on my mining forum BUT, I don't want it as a jpeg set up as it takes too much bandwidth up!

What I want to do is C&P the text to the site, which should only be a fraction of the jpeg images. Sounds straight forward don't it?

It isn't, copying text from jpeg images is impossible with what I have, Photoshop 7, Photoimpact 6, or Printshop.

Anyone any ideas?

If not, looks like I'll have to print every page out and rescan them, that way I'll have the text as text.

I have a freebie application from way back that reads text from JPEGS into a word document.

E-mail the Jpeg to me as an attachment Stan

Hugs Alison

I have a freebie application from way back that reads text from JPEGS into a word document.

E-mail the Jpeg to me as an attachment Stan

Hugs Alison

It's not Stan Alison!

The set of files are way too large.. LOL About 20megs worth if my memory is right!

I've tried printing them out and rescanning them, even tried as a PDF doc, but still cannot C&P them.

Would it be possible in MSN Office??

Ayupmeduck,

I have this Optical Character Recognition Software from way back - a free trial that never timed out. <grin>

It reads JPEG's into an RTF file. I use it quite often for reading in newspaper articles that I want to send to friends.

I don't have the original package though, only an installed version.

Hugs Alison

I found some free download OCR software Alison, I'll give it a try and see what happens.

My very first flatbed scanner had OCR software, but that only works on 95 and 98 not 2000.

Tried the OCR software and NOT impressed! So I'll just have to put the files on a site and link them.

• 4 weeks later...
Any luck with this yet John?

No Mick, I tried various softwares but it comes out in an abridged version of Cantonese. LOL

All I can do is open a website and send the FTP files direct to circumvent problems. Then link from the mining site to it.

If you can get them to a .pdf and have a full copy of Adobe Acrobat, you can cut and paste - but the free Adobe reader does not give you that feature.

The other alternative may be to re-scan the pages using OCR software - there may be some free ones around that can do a decent job.

Good luck - converting images back to text can be a real PITA!

If you can get them to a .pdf and have a full copy of Adobe Acrobat, you can cut and paste - but the free Adobe reader does not give you that feature.

The other alternative may be to re-scan the pages using OCR software - there may be some free ones around that can do a decent job.

Good luck - converting images back to text can be a real PITA!

I'm not buying the full version of acrobat just for this project. I did try some OCR software, two actually, both were useless, what came out would have taken me longer to correct than to type everything from scratch.

I can upload to a website and link them from the Colliery forum, lazy way to do it, but at least it works. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

There's a good piece of software from "Giveaway of The Day" today, it's a total html converter. Converst almost any foremat to any foremat. ie jpeg to html, or html to pdf etc.

Well worth downloading, AND IT'S FREE!!!!

Thanks for that Ayupmeducks. I have been trying to convert old College work from works to word for ages and it looks like (albeing well) I can do it now

;)

Hope it works for you, I check the site every morning, most of the time there's nothing I want, but every now and again, I find a piece of software I like. Not bad for nowt!!