standard of england (in a sorry state)

hi all! took a couple of snaps of another pub seemingly in its last months. i imagine in a couple of years time there will be a small housing development on this site. after my duke of newcastle pics i'm probably not the most popular member now! thumbsdown

standardandnorthernbaths003.jpg

as a bonus thats my beastmobile's backside!

standardandnorthernbaths002.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks bigkris and others. I had already recieved the info from others via P.M.

• 7 years later...

Only went in a very few times. First would be when I worked at Whitely Read, just down the road around '68. Went in for a quick pint after fininshing for Christmas and got into conversation with a West Indian guy who was a postman. He told me all about Christmas in Jamaica. Said it lasted about two months....

Last time would be maybe 10-15 years ago. The place open and not empty, but deathly quiet.

Col

Went in once, maybe 1965, with my dad. Before that had sat on the wall outside with a glass of pop and a bag of crisps on a walk back from the 'forest', as we called Bulwell Common. Occasionally called into Osbornes to buy some bits of fishing tackle.

• Like 1

We, me and cousin and wives, sometimes went in the Standard on a Saturday night. Someone would be playing the piano, people singing and the place was packed. A great atmosphere. Then, after not going there for quite a while, in the '90s, we went there. Between 7.30 and 8 we sat alone, the only people in there. At the bar a chap was talking to the barmaid. Both were effing an blinding, totally unconcerned that two ladies were in close vicinity. We drank up and left, never to go there again.

• Upvote 1

good for you Chulla , but most of the effing and blinding is done by young women these days, one of our apprentices sister swears worse than a trooper ,and in front of her mother too,I despair

#10 Same here Ian,.........I obviously knew most of em,but also knew how far to take my 'Banter'.........and yes it was a good boozer in the 50's all the family used it,lots of music with the Piano and all enjoying the sing alongs.............but by about 2,000 the sound of singing had long gone,......except the odd 'Canary' ..lol.

#1 What a lovely building the 'Standard' was,buit of 'Bulwell stone',and if anyone recalls the rear of the place was circular,......large car park with never any cars in the 50s,where I too Valuer Jim' sat on the wall with my Pop and crisps,when I wasn't hurtling round it on my green three wheeler,waiting for either one of my Grandads,Dad or Uncles to bring me a refill,............

When my beloved first came to Nottingham to live with me in 85' (from the deep south) the 'Standard' was one of the first Pubs I took her in, others being 'Golden Ball',Shoulder of Mutton (what was),Heathfield,Park Tavern,Pear Tree and Vernon Arms,.............the pubs and people left her in shock (knocked her bandy dint they)............lol................anyway all these years later,she loves Nottingham and its people,.....and evens says 'Ey up Duck' now...........

• Upvote 4

Pear Tree was great,after a shift in Gerards i sank a swift one in the Scotto,then any on your list got a visit Benjamin.

Funny,I've always had a penchant for rough pubs. Took a lady from Melton Mowbray into the Moulders one evening..... can't remember her name.

I worked behind the bar at this pub in the early 80's, must have been before Collin Gunn's days as I can't remember him. Must admit it was a bit rough but I enjoyed working there. I left when a new landlord took over as I didn't get on with him. Went to work at the Boulevard for a while as my mate ran it back then..

• Like 1