standard of england (in a sorry state)

I didn't like the beer pumps there: you'd press this lever once for a half pint & twice for a pint. Times I've pressed the bl**dy thing twice for a half pint & once it's started you can't stop it, you had to grab another glass quick to catch the overflow from the half pint glass or it'd go all over the place, it made the customers laugh when you went into a blind panic, made me swear a few times, lol..

• Upvote 1

No Benjamin it was Jeff & Debie. They used to run the Bestwood hotel were I worked for them, then they moved to the Standard & they were short of staff so I went to work for them there. It'd be 1981/82, Jeff was from Warrington & Debie form Wellington New Zealand They left the pub trade & last I heard were in New Zealand. Worked for the new landlord (who's name I cam't remember) for a few weeks then left..

Interesting. My paternal Grandparents kept the Bestwood Hotel until around 1964 ish. We had Christmas parties there and I was a regular visitor. It was a very interesting building and right next to the pithead baths. It's now being converted to flats I believe.

Sad to see the Standard in that state, but it's not the first and I doubt it will be the last.

Col

Standard gone now Col. and new housing is there,.......bits of the old Bulwell stone is all around....................

Well I suppose there's no doubt we need more housing, especially if it's 'affordable', or 'social'. It's just a bit hard to take the pace of change.

If only younger people than us had any idea what the whole Bulwell/Basford/Bestwood area was like 50/60 years ago. I'm not sure it's imprved much.

Col

It actually looks quite nice,and agree if its affordable or social,but also agree it was nicer 50 years ago,perhaps a bit Rose-tinted though.............

Very probably.

• 2 years later...

No wonder it shut down then ! I bet the local burglary count decreased dramatically.

• Upvote 1
On 11/19/2018 at 8:29 PM, benjamin1945 said:

PMJ7eVj.jpg

Standard Of England pub, Park Lane,Basford,     Three generations of David's family in the old

2nd left is David's great grandmother Hannah Oldham, 3rd left David's grandmother Mary Lane (always known as Polly), and 1st right David's mother Rosamund Lye. 4th left is Blanche Scrivens who lived next door to David's family .

David doesn't know the others perhaps someone can enlighten him

thanks to David Lye for the photo & info

Don't know how ive done this,,but on the picture are all my Grandparents,,photo taken in the ''Standard of England'' Park lane Old Basford,,i would think early 50s,,whoever David is who posted in Bygones i don't know,but i thank him anyway.

Grandad Ben is on the far left,,served in France and the Navy in first world war,,man of few words but when he spoke,''you took notice''..........my other Grandad Jackson is the one in the trilby,,3 piece suit and fob watch,,very smart man,, served in the Sherwood Foresters 14-18 war,,saw his wounds when he was taking a bath in front of the fire when i was little,, absolutely loved the man,,..........Lady far right is the only one still with us,,my lovely cousin Doris Booth,, i know some of my Booth cousins have a peep at nottstalgia at times,,enjoy.

Sorry its on ''Day trips'' was trying to post summat else  lol,,   by the way where they were all sat in the Standard of England'' was next to the Piano and known as ''Jacko's corner''       

After all the bad comments about the place,,thought i'd show this,, in truly happy times late 40s and 50s........

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Dead right Ben..top place..never had any probs in their..Mary Moore, Joey Griffiths, Stan Lownes, Ron Saunders, Fred Chance...sixes about dommies too.

Smashing picture!!

Know the Oldham family..but from Bestwood Park...one got into a spot of bother..mentioned on here a while back.

• Like 1

Story goes...........Mam and Dad met in the standard 1943,, Dad was 18 and in the Home Guard and Mam was 17 and home on leave from the 'Land Army' based in Bourne,,both sets of their Parents frequented the 'Standard' hence the meeting..........i am the result in 1945..........

So possibly if the Standard never existed neither would i,,,;)

• Like 2
On 12/12/2018 at 10:37 PM, IAN123. said:

Always played nick in here..scive off work and stay on the high stool.58167-e8721919.jpgLoved it..and the craic was ninety...you could walk out with a side of veal...set of steak knives and VHS recorder...very hot!

Keep being drawn back to this Photo of the ''Standard of England'' it was a lovely building in a Quiet area,,and in the 40s and 50s was truly a happy place,,all my Uncles,,Aunts,,Grandparents and Parents frequented the place,, and in the Summer i'd be outside on my 3-wheeled bike,, Lemonade in a bottle with straw and pkt of Smiths crisps with blue salt bag,,listening to em all singing mostly Wartime songs to the Piano,,but the main thing i could hear was laughter,,never any trouble,everyone seemed so happy..

As time passed,, went in a few times mid 60s,, still had Piano going and sing songs,,,but come the 80s the place had changed,,yes you could buy stuff (knocked off) which was Par for the course'' in many Pubs (and still is),,by the 90s the place was like a ''Gangsters meeting place''.......well to be honest,,it wasn't like one,, it was one....lol...........Did'nt turn many jobs down during my Security days,, but did turn down a job of surveillance there,,late 90s..................i knew em all and they knew me.........and gave me respect............just loved the ''Standard of England''

• Like 4
  • 3 years later...
On 2/15/2016 at 7:26 PM, Cliff Ton said:

I didn't know the place but PTP have a photo of it in 1995.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae24/kc29_2010/kc29_2010001/standard%20england.jpg

Lovely building and great Pub in its day...........

@benjamin1945i always thought the standard was a lovely looking building too, its sad to see that most of the pubs in the area have either closed,been demolished or are now used as something else, i worked behind the bar at the lord nelson(the nellie) on percy st from 86-92 when we lived on cheltenham st & it was always a busy & well used pub then,was saddened to the state of the place last time we passed it a year or so ago.