If you remember the good old days of the Black Orchid, this will be right up your street. On Friday May 11, ISIS, Redfield Way Nottingham, is returning to its roots when "Back To Black Orchid" takes over for the night, featuring 2 great disco bands, The Real Thing, and Heatwave, who between them had much chart success during the era.

I understand plans are afoot to bring back some of the original DJ's too, and theres every probability ill be there as my alter ego "Craig Strong" the bloke whos worked on so many radio stations you wouldnt believe it! boombox2 Doors open at 7:30, music till 1 :30

For info, contact Steve on sevents@hotmail.co.uk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi - as part of my employment at Lord Delfont`s First Leisure Corporation I was asked to find a site for a nightclub in Nottingham. After a disastrous attempt at getting a licence for the former Albe

Just noticed this post from 7 years back in regards to the Black orchid. We have a page on facebook called 'memories of the black orchid' We have just had a reunion at via fossa. Plans might be in pla

I remember when Me and Beefsteak went to the Orchid to see an aging Showaddy Waddy!

Thankfully supported by 'The Sounds of The Blues Brothers'.

Also Ian, what about that bus trip with the Black Orchid Girls, to Griffy Dam.

I can rember the name of the band on that night. "I want your Sax", Brill they were!

Kenny Thomas as the main act over at griffy dam. and that night down at the orchid we were dressed up as the blues brothers and in the V.I.P. lounge don't you remember me getting chated up by a chippendale ( who had been on at the theatre royal that evening )he kept telling me what a great singing voice I had cause he thought I was in the Sounds of the Blues brothers. not the best experience I ever had !!!!!!!!!!!!!! no1

• Upvote 1

ps Imight try to get over for this orchid do if you are up for it ,I love Heatwave busy packing to go on my jollies in the morning spek when I get back

!englandflag!

What happened to Griffy Dam

I remember chatting up a woman who turned out to be a coppers wife, Ooops!

Is Palais wednesday still the same?

Did you see my entry above yours ?are you available? I will try to get over for it .It jst depends on what shift er indoors is working ;)

What happened to Griffy Dam

I remember chatting up a woman who turned out to be a coppers wife, Ooops!

Is Palais wednesday still the same?

Re Palais/Oceana, no, its not on any longer, i did a posting elsewhere about it, basically, without going in to too much detail, as i understand it Franklin wasnt getting the help from them that he should have, so he pulled it.

Interesting though, ive worked with all the 3 acts mentioned above, Kenny Thomas is a great guy, i introduced him on stage at Markeaton park in my Trent 102.8 days, The Sounds of the blues brothers are a bunch of loonies" i really enjoyed working with them for an old mate, who i believe still manages them, Reg Enderby.

And lastly, picture this, me in my guise as the Leicester Sound dj, at, i think it was Abbey park in Leicester, me and my roadie spend an eternity setting up our sound equipment and lighting on the stage, only to be told, not asked! that Showaddywaddy needed the whole stage for their performance! It didnt matter that i was on ALL day holding the show together and they were on for about 30 minutes, no, we had to dismantle all the ferkin lot!

For some strange reason, i went off them big time after that! :angry:

I remember seeing Shawaddy Waddy at the Commadore in the mid Eighty's. Took me man and dad. Had a great night. Chicken & chips in a basket. :Friends:

I remember seeing Shawaddy Waddy at the Commadore in the mid Eighty's. Took me man and dad. Had a great night. Chicken & chips in a basket. :Friends:

Speaking of food, my favourite whilst over in Ireland doing the club curcuit was soup in a basket! smile2

I remember seeing Shawaddy Waddy at the Commadore in the mid Eighty's. Took me man and dad. Had a great night. Chicken & chips in a basket.  :Friends:

Speaking of food, my favourite whilst over in Ireland doing the club curcuit was soup in a basket! smile2

Would that be the Chicken soup begorrahh ? smile2

Are you playing then Craig ? Looks like I should be able to get over with my better half!! Be nice to meet you and say hello hopefully I can get Mick to come too.

;)

Are you playing then Craig ? Looks like I should be able to get over with my better half!! Be nice to meet you and say hello hopefully I can get Mick to come too.

;)

Fingers crossed, and if he offers me the right amount of spondoolies!

Ok, latest update then, i will be there, and am looking forward to meeting any of our "Nottstalgia" kinfolk" Dont forget it opens earlier than any other nightclub on that day, so get there early to make the most of it. (bring yer mates!) Ill be arriving after me Ice Arena gig, so will probably do after 11 ish.

looking forward to it!

I am already sorted for coming over with the wife anyone want to meet up I will probably be in that pub near there for a bite to eat before hand see our photo on the most recent page on the oo r ya forum what do you look like? page Look forward to seeing you

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Due to a mix up (my agents fault not mine!) there is now a possibility of not making it tonight, sorry if that causes anyone a problem, as Forrest Gump put so well." sh1t happens!"

I for one am definately still going organised baby sitter travel to Nottingham tickets etc (why not try to get down for a sherbert or 2 when your gigs done?)

Is that restaurant still inside as I am taking er indoors out for a meal too

;)

Time allowing i will certainly try, as for the restaurant, it used to be a Chinese, but i dont think theres one in there now, there is one just across the car park though.

BTW, did you know upstairs is a table dancing bar now? !yowza!

WooHoo. Did I say I was bringing the wife ? I just lost her somewhere !!! she can baby sit or something ,any excuse ,Ow sorry dear yes of course I am taking you dear I was only joking dear!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Just got back.

I missed Heatwave unfortunately because by the time I had met up with Mick and had a meal it was gone 11, but the Real Thing where good (if only they didn't start rapping in the middle of nearly every tune!!) They came on to "Can you feel the force!" but only did about 1 1/2 minutes of it ,which left me slightly miffed as it is my favourite, then they went through their back catalogue including 1 I hadn't heard before (It may be new) a short medly of other stuff finishing with "You to me are everything" .Then they came back for an encore and did "Can you feel the force! "all the way through and I was then made up.

There are plans for a back to the Black Orchid night every second Friday of the month (as you probably know) and we have some vouchers for money off (It didn't say how much) Apparently there will be more live bands from the era .

As for the clientel there were 1 or 2 faces I remember from the past and some others too who made me feel old!!!.but what have they done to the decor?, it seems half the size and very claustrophobic

;)

Well I met up with Ian & SWMBO at Hooters as arranged.

After me going to the old location of Hooters end of London Road.

Eventually found the new location, but not before I was soaked to the skin.

On entering Hooter it was packed with guys watching the Forest match.

We decided to get a taxi to Fellows Morten an Clayton, which was the same.

We moved on to the canal side where Ian commented on the quality of the beer,

and there was HP on tap.

Having checked the train time on the internet earlier, I set off for the 2151 train

(not wanting to wait around for the next at 2315) I arrived at Midland station to

find the only train available to be the 2258, over an hour later.

So it was a visit to the Vat & Fiddle for a sample of 'Elsie Mo' very nice,

and a trip to the chippy for curry and chips in a tray, and a dry out.

Nice to see Ian again, not seen him for ten years, and not had a drink

with him for over 12.

Nice to see you too Mick .You don't seem to have much luck with public transport where i am concerned.I asked what I had had at the bar in the canal side and they said it was that Castle Rock Hemlock, highly reccommended ,(It took ages to explain to SWMBO that I hadn't been drinking poison.LOL)

I will sort out the photos and down load them on this forum later today(SWMBO is not too well at present it must have been the thrill of finaly getting out with yours truely( first time in nearly 3 years))!!!!

;)

Hello Mick & Beefsteak

What is your connection,are you old work mates,you don't have to tell me i'm just sticky beaking!!! ;)