Dancing Slipper, Central Ave W.B.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember dancing there in the early 60's, meeting some nice blokes from Clifton, they were farmers boys.............Ivy Brooks was a ballroom dancing teacher and held her dancing classes there a

I remember the Dancing Slipper in the sixties when Bill Kinnell managed it as a jazz club, featuring such names as Humphrey Lyttleton, Chris Barber, Terry Lightfoot and many others. I seem to remember

Not a brilliant photo, but you can just see the garage and petrol pumps in this shot

• 7 months later...
So, where was the little LLoyds bank and which road had the doctor's surgery on the corner - there was a little shop called patches too.............

It was on the other side of Central Ave.The doctor was Dr.Ricci

Baz :rolleyes:

Well, in that case I lived on Albert Road for a while - over the Patches shop and later, the lady I was living with ran off with the doctor!......Mind you, this was in '82 and we did have a move down to an old house near Forest's ground in between. It was so near we used to have hundreds of fans walking past the house on a Saturday!

The house needed a lot of renovating and a guy we knew came in and knocked out the floorboards in one bedroom because they had dry rot. Unfortunately, ten minutes after he finished the kitchen ceiling fell down! I used to say we had the only kitchen extension that went up the way. !jumping!

I lived in Mabel Grove until 68 Charlie.That was down toward the end of the park.

Dr.Ricci wasn't a young man at that time.Maybe early fifties.Maybe it was a different doc.

Baz !tanning!

• 3 weeks later...

I remember going there on a number of occasions, once with a girlfriend of the time, to a fancy dress party, i went as "The Fonz on holiday" basically in his trademark white t shirt and black leather jacket, with biker boots, but wearing seaside shorts.....

More recently...(even this was during the early 90's) was for one of Radio Trents birthday doos, despite the fact i had shipped out to do the morning show on Trent Derby at the time!

It sticks in my head, cos the boss didnt make it, and his secretary got me to do a "Thanks for being here" type speech, on his behalf!! I remember the dash from my appearance at Time, or what it was called, in Derby beforehand........*.Remembered.it was Paradise.

• 4 years later...

I remember going there on a number of occasions, once with a girlfriend of the time, to a fancy dress party, i went as "The Fonz on holiday" basically in his trademark white t shirt and black leather jacket, with biker boots, but wearing seaside shorts.....

Fancy dress now your talking , Once went as a loaf of bread, the best night i have ever had , the birds were all over me.

i lived for a few month 68/69 0n bridgeford rd oposit yhe carpark

At that time I was going down there.

The DJ was 'Mad Mike' Burdette.

Groups appearing were the likes of Sons & Lovers, 6 Across etc.

• 2 weeks later...

like butter i surpose radfordred.

i often went to fancy dress as a fallen angel old white sheet cut whole for head to go through pillow unnder to make me look prenant pair of wings and a bent halo made from coat hanger and tincel. next time i get invited to a fancy dress party though i am going to goas the weemee on my profile a hells angel. got the trousers and can always borrow a jacket of somebody and make the wings from wire and black voile and a few sequins and a bit if glitter and of course rockers reunion or whitehat tee shirt

I remember the Dancing Slipper in the sixties when Bill Kinnell managed it as a jazz club, featuring such names as Humphrey Lyttleton, Chris Barber, Terry Lightfoot and many others. I seem to remember that in those days it was above a garage, or some other business having large double doors. We used to stand by these when going out for a fag and watch them bounce to the rhythm of the dancing going on above. Happy Days!

• Upvote 1

I saw George Melly at the Dancing Slipper many years ago. He was a real character on the Jazz and Blues scene and it was a great show. It was sad the way his life ended. I didn't go often but the times I did I always found the Dancing Slipper a great place to be.

I SAW AKER BILK THERE AND YES IT WAS ABOVE A GARAGE IN THE SIXTIES

I remember the Dancing Slipper in the sixties when Bill Kinnell managed it as a jazz club, featuring such names as Humphrey Lyttleton, Chris Barber, Terry Lightfoot and many others.

Thanks for Bills last name, I never knew it or had forgotten it. Bill was the manager there when I was DJ in 1971.

His wife was called Jean I think, a small woman with permed grey hair who worked on the bar near the door with a little welsh guy (Ron?)

The Owner was called Ron and drove a big old Rover. Well probably new at that time?

Bill Kinnell, not sure of the spelling, was a short stocky man with one arm. I understand he used to have a record shop in the walk through between Parliament St and Derby Road (?) and it was rumoured that if anyone went into the shop to buy anything other than a jazz record, he'd take out a spare arm and chew it. Anyone know if there's any truth in it?

Then its not the Bill that I knew, he definitely had two arms or he disguised the false one very well :)

He was thick set but I remember him being tall and wearing glasses.

the house i lived in just out of shot behind that tree near pedestrial refudeas you look up the rd from the old slipper

just a little bit further up was the old bridge across bridgeford rd

• 11 months later...