Dancing Slipper, Central Ave W.B.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember dancing there in the early 60's, meeting some nice blokes from Clifton, they were farmers boys.............Ivy Brooks was a ballroom dancing teacher and held her dancing classes there a

I remember the Dancing Slipper in the sixties when Bill Kinnell managed it as a jazz club, featuring such names as Humphrey Lyttleton, Chris Barber, Terry Lightfoot and many others. I seem to remember

Not a brilliant photo, but you can just see the garage and petrol pumps in this shot

Going further down the road, away from the Trent Bridge end but on the same side as the Slipper, there was another pub which featured a trio/quartet which was so bad it was brilliant. It was like something from a Goon Show. No offence to anyone who may have been a part of it!

The Test Match Hotel was in Gordon Square, a bit further on from Central Avenue. They had a Jazz Club on the upper floor, I think, and was a more "intimate" venue than the Slipper, which meant it was smaller and therefore a lot hotter !

Going from the Slipper away from Trent Bridge - but on the same side of the road - the Test Match is the only pub you'd find.

It's been 'renovated' in recent years but still has its art deco features and is more civilised than many other pubs around. I could easily imagine a so-bad-it's-good quartet playing somewhere in there.

• 2 months later...

I wus workin' in me first job as van-lad ut Whiteheads Robin Hood Confectionery (Bulwell), un we had a late delivery to Dancing Slipper one Friday night.

I saw dancing together, rather tipsily John Winfield and Barry Lyons.

The next day I went to Forests away game against Leeds - and they lost 7-0!

Oh dear.

TTFN

• 1 year later...

I can remember dancing there in the early 60's, meeting some nice blokes from Clifton, they were farmers boys.............Ivy Brooks was a ballroom dancing teacher and held her dancing classes there as well.........My friend Lorraine ballroom danced there......... she had her wedding reception there in 1971........

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

Welcome Mikho :)

What records do you remember from there?

Most of the late 60's music, used to dance the night away......

• 1 year later...

i dont know if i am posting in the right area, but does anyone else remeber going to the dancing slipper in west bridgford in the middle to late 1970s, they used to have discos, if i remember rightly it was on a wednesdays and fridays and could also have been on a monday too, if so can you remember anyone who went and what the djs name was, i think at one time the dance teacher who owned the dancing slipper, it was her grandson paul brooks who did the disco, i would love to here from anyone who went there or remembers who the djs were

chillijava

Guy I spoke to last week in West Cornwall called Colin Bacon said he dj'd at the Slipper in the 60s .

• 3 weeks later...

we used to go in the 70s with john (rick ) rickaby on his thunderbird  ,me on myT110 and hammo on his A10 we used to see Dave Moult and Ralph there good times

• 2 months later...

Went several times to see Chris Barber's Jazz band.  His long time clarinet/sax player, John Crocker was from West Bridgford.  Several recordings were made there too and are still available such as of the Ken Colyer Band.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
On 4/20/2007 at 4:02 AM, bazza said:

opposite The Park.

Years ago the Tudor cinema was on the corner past that bus stop.

We lived 5 minutes walk from there.

Baz :ph34r:

The Tudor - Saturday morning children's pictures!!  Pocket money of 6d which also bought sweets.  Watched strongman Steve Reeves films that always ended with a cliffhanger:Fool:  I lived walking distance on Edward Road.