Posted on request of a Site Visitor...

Hi,

I was doing a google for Kardomah and found your forum. I read a post

from someone who remembers visiting a Kardomah. I'm an author of

mysteries set in the 1920s and I'm presently writing a scene set in a

Kardomah coffee house. I don't know whether they all had similar decor,

or how much it changed over the years, but I'd really like to know

anything that poster can tell me, if there's a way to get in touch.

Thanks,

Carola Dunn

www.geocities.com/CarolaDunn/

Daisy Dalrymple mysteries--England 1920s--IMBA

BESTSELLERS--hc,pb,audio,LP

Now out: GUNPOWDER PLOT--Daisy + fireworks = Death (#15)

FALL OF A PHILANDERER--a seaside holiday turns out anything but

Dear Carola

Sorry for delay in replying.

I have posted your question at http://www.nottstalgia.com/forums/index.ph...=71&t=2876&st=0

(Subscribe to this topic to get email notifications of reply)

Please create an account using your email address, and it will be approved.

For your own security, do not post your email address in these (or any other) forums.

Hope we can find you help.

Mick

On 4/30/07, Carola Dunn <**************@juno.com> wrote:

Hi,

I was doing a google for Kardomah

• 7 months later...

Mick - I think (allowing for all the alcohol in between) that the Kardomah was on the right on King street, just about level with the point where it Joins Queen street. But maybe not! There was a cafe there - big window and entrance to the right of that.

Mick - I think (allowing for all the alcohol in between) that the Kardomah was on the right on King street, just about level with the point where it Joins Queen street. But maybe not! There was a cafe there - big window and entrance to the right of that.

Yes, I remember it being there too. It was definitely the Kardomah. I recall there being some stairs down into a large basement cafe area. It was certainly there in the era round about 1978-80

If you walk down King St the Kardomah was on your left at the junction of Greyhound St. In the early nineties it was a canteen for Nottm City Transport.

I walked past there last night and there are two businesses standing on where I think the Kardomah was. On the very corner of Greyhound Street is 'Pronuptia' bridal and menswear and to the left of it is 'Zizzi's', a chain Italian restaurant. Funnily enough I was in Zizzi last week and I reckon the downstairs part of the restaurant was the large room that was where I drank coffee in the Kardomah years ago. It all seemed to just click into place.

Might be a long shot but maybe either of those two businesses might have some info about the building's former use?

I feel sure there was loos there too....i may be wrong wouldnt be the first time !

The Kardomah was at the very centre of a drug scandal at the High School in the mid 70s.

I can't imagine they'd be expelling too many boys nowadays for smoking a few joints.

Bamber - I never inhaled.

On Greyhound St which is a paved street between King St and Long Row there are Ladies loos and also there used to be a club. It was once owned by the City council and has changed names many times, there was a fatal stabbing in there last year. Can anyone name the club?

On Greyhound St which is a paved street between King St and Long Row there are Ladies loos and also there used to be a club. It was once owned by the City council and has changed names many times, there was a fatal stabbing in there last year. Can anyone name the club?

Latterly known as Cuba Libre.

In around 1979, it was The Regency Club, I was a member.

It was a brill club

It was run by a guy called Terry, for the minute I cant remember his last name.

I have a lot of pictures taken in there one new years eve around that time, If I can find I will post.

I'll teell you what - the more you all write, the more I remember how brill Nottingham was! Mind you, I have seen the new town centre on the telly - as the clubs kick folks out and that doesn't look quite so brill!

I rememeber going out to get pissed - with everybody - and everone succeeding. Sometimes we fell down too, but nothing like theuy manage these days - maybe it's just for the cameras!

In about '71 the Kardomah was known as a place frequented by 'liberally minded' people - which meant drugs. I hadn't met drugs at that point, so I used to walk by wondering what it might all be like!

Was greyhound street also the street with the shop called Paraphanalia where you could buy patchouli oil, cigarette papers like $1,000 bills and other hippy accoutrements? or was that somewhere else?

Actually, thinking about that, can we move round to Bridlesmith Gate, where I bought my maroon loons and purple budgie jacket !laughing! truly! There was a shop, down on the right, just before the Hippo and the lane up to the Cross keys - and I think the back entrance to the Co-op was on the right. Was that Paul Smiths, or was it something else?

• 4 months later...
the 'KD' we mostly hung around in in 1969/70 was on Market street near the top - upstairs, the old ladies sat downstairs.

I have always beleived that the KD was situated at the bottom of King Street? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bip.

Ayup Bip

I thought it was at the top of Market street but I could be wrong, I do remember going upstairs though fior a frothy coffee,

PS I do approve of the pic on your signature a true Englishman, very fitting on St Georges day

Rog

Posted on request of a Site Visitor...

Hi,

I was doing a google for Kardomah and found your forum. I read a post

from someone who remembers visiting a Kardomah. I'm an author of

mysteries set in the 1920s and I'm presently writing a scene set in a

Kardomah coffee house. I don't know whether they all had similar decor,

or how much it changed over the years, but I'd really like to know

anything that poster can tell me, if there's a way to get in touch.

Thanks,

Carola Dunn

www.geocities.com/CarolaDunn/

Daisy Dalrymple mysteries--England 1920s--IMBA

BESTSELLERS--hc,pb,audio,LP

Now out: GUNPOWDER PLOT--Daisy + fireworks = Death (#15)

FALL OF A PHILANDERER--a seaside holiday turns out anything but

The Kardomah coffee house was on the lower right hand side of King Street and you went down the stairs to what was then a very Bohemiian looking coffee shop.

This was in the eary to mid 60s and a big hang out for the Nottingham Mods, the reason I say Bohemian is the rest of the so called coffee shops were really greasy spoons and the Kardomah for me allways looked so cool.

Best wishes on your new book.

The Kardomah coffee house was on the lower right hand side of King Street and you went down the stairs to what was then a very Bohemiian looking coffee shop.

Well there you go my memory hadn’t pulled a trick on me and I was right in thinking it was at the bottom of king St………I too went in there but not as a mod, it would be in the mid seventies, I would on the odd occasion while visiting Nottingham call in for a half a pound of roasted beens which blend I don’t recall, there were so many and the smell yummmmmy.

Bip.

• 6 months later...
Well there you go my memory hadn’t pulled a trick on me and I was right in thinking it was at the bottom of king St………I too went in there but not as a mod, it would be in the mid seventies, I would on the odd occasion while visiting Nottingham call in for a half a pound of roasted beens which blend I don’t recall, there were so many and the smell yummmmmy.

Bip.

I must have missed this entry.

you missed my point - there were 2 kardomahs - the one on market street was the best

I used to frequent the KD as we called it on Market Street in the 60's. All the local bands used to hang in there. Had many a laugh in there too

Yeah.......Sutch used to go in there almost daily......LOL... Most of the local musos did. It was suprising how long they let you stay there on ONE cup of coffee. If I recall the manageress was called Beattie?....can anyone let me know if that's correct. Once in a while she would throw a hissy fit & throw everyone out. Never lasted long.......LOL

• 7 months later...

Pat, Carol, did I know you I wonder??

She was called Beattie yes. We used to sit looking out of the big top window at the cinema across Market Street (what was it called? showed late night horror movies). Sometimes about 40 people round one table - I think the staff were extremely reasonable considering!

The downstairs one on King Street was where Zizzi's is - explains the very large subterranean type layout. The decor was very early 60's, all brown with ceramic decorative tiles. A very arty coffee bar was the L shaped room on Goldsmith Street. It would be right in the middle of Trent Campus if it were still there. It was very handy for the walk down from the Girls' High.