Pat, Carol, did I know you I wonder??

She was called Beattie yes. We used to sit looking out of the big top window at the cinema across Market Street (what was it called? showed late night horror movies). Sometimes about 40 people round one table - I think the staff were extremely reasonable considering!

The downstairs one on King Street was where Zizzi's is - explains the very large subterranean type layout. The decor was very early 60's, all brown with ceramic decorative tiles. A very arty coffee bar was the L shaped room on Goldsmith Street. It would be right in the middle of Trent Campus if it were still there. It was very handy for the walk down from the Girls' High.

Do you remember 'cosmic Ray' who used to signal to the spaceships with his cigarettes?

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dunno about the L shaped being 'Arty' but it was open all night and was a cracking place to get an invite to a nurses party. ;)

Back in the day, a guy called Richard Kenton that I knew, basically because he walked by my house everyday to and from work, loaned me his bass guitar amp, and in exchange, I lent him some of my soul and motown singles and Lp's for a gig he was doing at The L Shaped Room.

I never got them back, he claimed they had been stolen.

A few years later whilst watching TOTP or OGWT, I saw this man I thought I recognised playing bass in Roxy Music. It was him, he had changed his name from Richard to a more trendy Rik. Probably in a bid to fool me as to who he was! :closedeyes: )

• 2 years later...

Just came across this topic - but wasn't there once a Kardomah Coffee Shop on Clumber Street? On a couple of my old Nottingham books it has it located where the old Lillywhites Sport Shop was, god knows what's there now.

Just looked at the picture and can't for the life of me remember it being there. It looked a lovely building too. I do believe Sports Direct is there now, as we go to a sports shop on a corner whenever we're in Nottm. My lad here is a Chelsea fan and we always have to get him something from there.

That's the place - it was a beautiful building - I remember seeing a photograph of it years ago when I became interested in Nottingham buildings and was horrified that they demolished it, and built that dodgy looking building that housed "Broughton Shoes" the shoe shop - Thankfully they demolished it.

When I was last in Nottingham - nearly four years ago I couldnt believe the "state" of Clumber Street, especially the Sports Shop which now stands on the site of the K.C, it looked like a jumble sale. At least when it was Lillywhites. it looked like a proper shop

• 2 years later...

To resurrect an old thread, I came across this photo which is the only one I've seen lately showing the frontage of Kardomah that I recall on King St, when a youngster in the late 60s / early 70s - here, mid-60s in the final period of the trolleybus era

sha0JQT.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Kardomah..... I don't know whether they all had similar decor,

or how much it changed over the years

A tad late to reply to that (nearly 8 years...!) but had to just share this - the classic 'coffee bean' table top design

KGDfnYZ.jpg

... which, seeing this photo of the only remaining extant Kardomah in Swansea, I realise I recall from the 1960s in Nottingham.

Anyone else remember those tables?

And looking carefully at the exterior in my previous post, I also remember the stair railings (just visible in the window) that led you down into the café proper...

In the early 70's a group of us, male and female would meet at the KD on Saturday morning. We always went downstairs to the basement area. We always referred to it as the 'KD' not its full name. This was the bottom of King Street as per post/photo 36 above. The premises are still there. Can't remember if it is now a wedding or flower shop. One or the other I think.

• 1 month later...