Alison, I remember the smell of the glue factory in the late 60's onwards. We lived in Langar when first married so had to go home along Radcliffe Rd. Also, in the autumn we could smell the sugar beet factory. Not sure where it was, but it sure wafted our way. Such a sickly, sweet smell.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To get the fire going, we would put the ash shovel on the grate, and cover it with a sheet of the Nottingham Evening post to cause a 'draw'. Once the fire got going with a roar, the paper would scorc

Waking up in a holiday caravan at Ingoldmels & smelling bacon frying, ahhh beautiful.

Robert Windsor Soap Factory Colwick. The smell of the soap was so strong it clung to us and when we caught the bus to go home at the end of the day, you would hear the whispers...What's that smell...

Posted Images

Bitterlings on Meadow Lane Katy?

Wow the sugar plant on the Colwick Industrial Estate..Phewwwww, it was a sickly smell that one couldn't get out of clothes..

Mind you the canal had it's own smell, too. I used to cross the top of Queen's Drive and then there was ramp down to the canal, and walk along it to Wilford Road. Sometimes going under the bridge to play on the locks. "Look Mam, no hands" as we balanced across the lock gates.

There was a youngster, one of our group called John something or other, who lived across the street. I think it was in the mid fifties they fished him out of the canal. He had fallen in and drowned. The amount of oil on top of the water, he probably was poisoned before he drowned.

There use to be this big building along there - British Waterworks or similar. I think they ran the canals. Someone told me recently they had prettied up the whole area. It was a working canal then, and smelt like it.

Hugs Alison

• 2 months later...
Bitterlings on Meadow Lane Katy?

Wow the sugar plant on the Colwick Industrial Estate..Phewwwww, it was a sickly smell that one couldn't get out of clothes..

Bit of a late response here (sorry) Where we used to live (in Carlton ) you could always tell it was going to rain when you could smell the sugarbeet factory in Colwick approx 2 miles away or maybe it was the maggot factory at the end of Mile end road) because of the way the wind blew when the prevailing westerlies used to hit ( I might have just added that last bit for effect LOL) but me mam woz alluz reyt though and it din arf cum darn in them days!!She cud smellit and go an gerrer washin in!!!! an nine outta ten she wuz reyt bless er cotton uns ( another Nottingham expression)

;)

There was a maggot factory in Colwick i'm sure ,my partner & his brothers used to work there in the 60/70s. Pong you haven't smelt anything like it! The boss who was/is a millionaire was a good friend of the family.

He used to go to the Portland baths to have a bath & i can tell you it did nothing at all, still reeked he did ,oh love conquers all lips0

If you thought the maggot factory smelt you aught to smell the tripe I feed my dog on....makes me feel sick even to this day and I have been feeding him it now for three years, one thing I will say though the flys love the smell....

Bip.

Hi BiP, When we had our boxer dog, my mam used to buy 'lights' and boil them in a big pan of water. Boy did THEY stink, but he loved them. They looked like lungs, not quite sure what lights were, kind of spongy.

Yuk sounds revolting. I have fed my Maltese on Roo but the smell is the pits,luckily he's fussy & prefers chicken breast iknow

I agree, Roo is good on the barbie but stewed ........Nah! I love Venison too how about you?

When I was courting my wife back in the time before time began her mother use to buy horsemeat from somewhere for their pet Boxer [Judy] and cooked it in the kitchen in a large aluminium pan at gas mark 4 for several hours the stink from that you could smell on Wollaton Park when the wind was in that direction.

Kidding apart she did buy horsemeat and cook it in a large pan and the smell was foul but Judy loved it.

Many many years ago I drove to Spain with the family for a two week holiday in the sun, those where the days before Global warming, now you don’t have to fly south like the birds for the sunshine and a tan I get all that in me back yard.

We went self-catering therefore we had to eat either out or in. One day while doing a little shopping we came across an indoor market, browsing as one does from one stall to the other we came across a meat stall, being a little naive and not speaking Spanish I bought a couple of kilos of what I thought was bull steak.

It hadn’t been in the frying pan for long when all those heady fond memories came flooding back of those nights I spent in front of the television in may wife’s to bee’s house watching the Avengers while breathing in the fumes of simmering horsemeat between kisses.

Bip.

Lurv venison Caz.

I think I mentioned once before that my brother in law was a greenkeeper at Wollaton park golf course and when the gamekeeper shot a deer it would be venison all round.

The deers liver was especially good.

baz :ph34r:

I am lucky to live near Tatton Park and they do lots of their own venison I bought a large haunch a couple of christmases back when I had all the family over (in laws as well) and I told them I had shot Rudolph cause I was fed up with Christmas bah humbug etc (just as a joke)

I was eating cold Venison for days LOL

;)

Ayup all,

Just to get back to the smells bit, Does anyone remember the particular smell about half way up Drury Hill in the 50s-60s? smelt a bit like cobblers glue but more pungent, just another one of those things you remember from youre childhood

Rog

I do believe there was a cobblers on Drury Hill. Anyone of a certain age, goes all ga-ga over the name Drury Hill. Everyone wanted to keep it except the powers that be.

Even "THE RALEIGH" had its smell .A mixture of oil and sweat we used to say. Well we who worked there did!!! LOL

And Pork Farms, all those spices, but the strange thing (and I know it's actually part of our own bodies defence systems) is that when you worked there you couldn't smell them.

;)

I worked at Raleigh and well remember the smell of oil. Also I used to walk past Players factory on Radford Blvd, coming to and from Raleigh to catch my bus. I remember the smell of Players too, a warm tobacco smell. One of the nicest smells from my teen years, was going into Burtons under the arcade on a Saturday for some bacon and cheese for me mam. They sliced both for you as you waited.

Late summer standing in Cotgrave pit bottom waiting to ride out, you could smell the scent of the farmers hay making!

Clifton pit, you could smell the smog outside coming out of an afternoons shift!!

Then there was Prices Bakery, oh what a joyful smell!

Late summer standing in Cotgrave pit bottom waiting to ride out, you could smell the scent of the farmers hay making!

Clifton pit, you could smell the smog outside coming out of an afternoons shift!!

Then there was Prices Bakery, oh what a joyful smell!

I don't remember any smells down pit - other than that universal coal-dust smell they all seem to have - but I do remember coming out the pit on a summers day and always being surprised at the colors - especially how green the grass was.

Underground was a very monochromatic world - basically shades of grey - and back then we didn't have those orange coveralls!

Cycling along beeston canal at the back of Boots towards Players Tobacco on Thane lane most mornings there was a sweet smell emanating from the chemical works which reminded me of a dilutable soft drink called sarsaparilla, whether it was that soft drink I have no idea but the smell did remind me of the time I bought a bottle to try many years ago.

Bip. :yahoo:

logo_bottle.jpg

How could we have had 20+ contributions thus far, and no mention of the legendary Gerrard's Soap Factory on Wilkinson Street?

I do despair flyswat

Cheers

Robt P.

Go on then Rob ,when I worked at Raleigh there used to be an old school mate of mine get on our bus home. He worked there on something called the tallum tanks??

and he was always guaranteed a seat to himself cause he stank!!!!!!!LOL

;)