Reminds me of the smell of new velour upholtery in the Cinemas.

Unlike the smell of the Seating at Leno's Radford Road!

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To get the fire going, we would put the ash shovel on the grate, and cover it with a sheet of the Nottingham Evening post to cause a 'draw'. Once the fire got going with a roar, the paper would scorc

Waking up in a holiday caravan at Ingoldmels & smelling bacon frying, ahhh beautiful.

Robert Windsor Soap Factory Colwick. The smell of the soap was so strong it clung to us and when we caught the bus to go home at the end of the day, you would hear the whispers...What's that smell...

Posted Images

Do you remember "Red-eX" - one shot per gallon of petrol?

I serpently do Eric and I too went to Mallory Park but not with me dad he was never interested in motor sport in any of its disguises in fact me dad never liked sport full stop.

Bip. :tease:

Going back as I must to the smell of soap works I recall at Dunkirk when I was a nipper a soap factory next to the iron railway bridge on Cavendish Street, I should imagine I would be the only one who does. I have looked in the AtoZ and the only place that is marked in that is a warehouse but then again this was in the fifties and things have changed a little.

Thinking about the soap factory I maybe mistaken, at the time I was pre-occupied with train spotting to take much notice if it was a soap factory or not but one thing is for sure it smelt of soap.

I shall ask me mum tomorrow she was born and bred at Dunkirk.

Bip.

Asked me mum and she can confirm that there was a soap factory at Dunkirk, she reckons the name of said works was Linleys or something like that...bless her...thanks mum.

Bip. :yahoo:

"me mam says "sunlight"

But she isn't too sure ,t might have just been the lorries taking the product away!!

;)

By the way Den I had a pint Castle rock Hemlock last night very nice

;)

The smell of Boots the chemist! I know you may not think it has a smell,but it does. All those heady perfumes & a thousand & one fragrances from bath salts to talcum powder,that always does it for me. I remember Debenhams was much the same when I was a younger too.

And Goose Fair! too many smells to name but close your eyes & they all come floating back :rolleyes:

What about the tannery on Trent bridge I can't remember their name began with a "T" I think?

;)

Give that girl a lolly! Turney Bros. -and boy what a stink everyday on the way to school

Unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins and clothed them

5000-2000 BC

Coloured leather, sandals, bags, and cushion and leather clothing found in Nubian tombs and all made by Turney Bros.! Boy did their young female offspring get ragged at school.

Did I not read somewhere that the tannery was to be converted into posh flats?

It serpently (sic)has ,I have an old mate lives there Turneys wharf should have given me a clue as to the name !!!!

Insidentaly I always remember my gran telling me that the windows at a certain hight were always broken not by vandals from the footie ,but it was an old trolly bus terminus and if they turned too fast the connecting poles on the old trackless came off and swung through the windows!! LOL

;)

By the way Den I had a pint Castle rock Hemlock last night very nice

;)

You should have had the Harvest pale....Beefcake?

Stan..I believe they have been turned into flats....

Caz..Such girly memories you have...

Bip. :Fool:

Didn't realize they did it (Mick went to the bar and I had just asked for bitter) it was just as we were getting ready to leave that I saw it on the guest ales board

;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anne

What about the smell as you went upstairs on a double decker bus!!

I know on the No 1 bus after you'd climbed up the stairs the smoke was sometimes so thick you couldn't see the back of the bus.

Remember you had to pay a penny to take your dog on the bus and it had to go on the top deck. !faint!

Costs 75pence these days for a dog to travel on one of our buses [36], I wonder if for that it gets it's own seat or does it have to stand and if so how on earth does it hold on?

bip.

un how does it ring the bell when it's time to gerroff..

un how does it know when it's at the right bus stop??

It wags its tale LOL

;)

• 1 month later...

When I came to Notts in the early 60's I remember the Trent having a distinctive chemical Smell. Could that have been from Boots?

It was particularly volatile at the weirs (Radcliffe and Gunthorpe) caused by the water churning up. I don't think it was just Boots, it was just industry in general , but since the early 70s they all have got their 'act together' and things are a lot better (Hence the catching of Trout and Salmon now, a couple of speices extinct in the Trent since the 30s) And also very large Barble, Chub, and Common Carp.

It still does smell at the weirs but no where near as bad. I think I mentioned else where in this thread about this subject and when I caught a Trout (Tasting the same as the river smells) LOL

;)

We don't really have too many distinctive smells here except for the Chestnuts when they are ripe for picking, not even the streams smell where we can catch beautiful Trout, but tell me why do they nearly always taste muddy BF?

It's the type of water that they live in throughout their lives .Are your streams from peat bogs or do they flow through lakes etc? Hence the one I caught in the Trent tasted of smelly river water .Modern Trout fisheries fish(Where most shop bought Trout comes from) tastes kind of bland to me. Where as a fine Sea Trout (Rainbow ,Wild Brown ,that is caught in brackish water, has a totaly natural (slightly salty) taste to it

;)

Ours is Rainbow & Brown,generally Rainbow though. They swim from mountain streams into man made dams I think?

We have the largest fresh water fishing port in the world a 40 minute drive from here.

It's at Port Dover on Lake Erie, you can buy fresh perch and pickeral.

They taste good..but not as good as Nottingham fish and chips.

We can get fresh water rainbow and brown trout as well..they are good.

Fresh water trout do taste great (Unless 'in my opinion ' they are farm reared )

;)